Vomiting, Pacing, No Pooping In Last 24 Hours

Guest got2now

Guest got2now

Yesterday, KC threw up in the car as we were heading up the mountain. He threw up a lot, but I assumed it was carsickness from being in the back for 2.5 hours and the curvy road, even though he has never, in the almost 2 years I've had him, been carsick. I fed him this morning, and then late this afternoon, he threw up twice. Both times, there was dogfood in his vomit. Yesterday, he barely pooped, and today, nothing. He's been pacing around restlessly on and off all day. Other than that, he's seems fine. His appetite is good, he gets excited for walks, and nothing seems amiss. I can't find any posts on GT about vomiting and pacing that reflect his actions. Does anyone have any ideas? I called all the vets in town-closed, don't page me. The closest e-vet is 2 hours away, but here's one at home we could go to tomorrow when we get back.

Vomiting + pacing + not pooping often = blockage. Is he keeping any food down? How about water?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest StriderDog

Does his belly feel full and hard? Gums pale? If so, go to the e-vet.

I would bet the pacing is due more to being in an unfamiliar place than distress if he seems fine otherwise.

Don't feed him any more tonight and keep a close eye on him. If nothing else happens, I think he could wait until tomorrow.

Guest LindsaySF
Vomiting + pacing + not pooping often = blockage. Is he keeping any food down? How about water?

The vomiting wouldn't concern me as much as the lack of poop.

Guest got2now

His gums are pinkish-red. His stomach feels the same as my other greyhound, and I don't know if it's hard or not. Is it the area between the bottom end of the ribs and the back legs? Or the area under the ribs? The not pooping has bothered me all day. However, he never poops on walks, only off-leash in our back yard. But I can't let him off leash because there's no fence. I haven't fed him since this morning, but he sniffed out my mother's dog's food and scarfed it down, what there was of it. He hasn't thrown it up yet.

Guest KennelMom

I would get him to the vet as soon as you can. He definitely has symptoms of a blockage - vomiting undigested food, little-to-no-pooping and the pacing can indicate physical discomfort. We've lost too many dogs this year to weird symptoms for me to be comfortable "waiting and seeing" on symptoms like that...plus we lost a foster several years ago to a partial blockage.

If you choose not to take him right away, keep an eye on his gums. If they get pale or if his abdoment becomes hard (not the rib part) or he has any pain when you palpate his belly (for dogs who are stoic, watch their whiskers. They will sometimes flinch their whiskers in reponse to sharp pain) then get to the vet, no question.

Good luck and please keep us posted. I'll be praying that it's nothing but some constipation.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Vomiting, pacing and no pooping means he's not alright. I'm glad you're taking him to the vet! Please let us know how he is doing!

Just seeing this. Waiting for an update and hoping that KC is ok. Sending prayers and hugs.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Praying and hoping KC is o.k.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

hoping he's ok!!!!!

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest got2now

Oh I am so sorry that I didn't get back with an update until now. We hauled butt home to get to the e-vet on Sunday. About that time, my sister-in-law went into intensive care in the hospital. We didn't think she was going to make it. She had a huge mass, ironically, in her colon, and nothing could get through. She also had pneumonia and high bp. Today she made it through surgery, and things are not as bad as we feared. But enough about that - K.C. gave us quite a scare too, but he's fine! The e-vet took xrays of him that came out fine but couldn't rule out a radio-opaque foreign body, which basically means he didn't swallow anything solid or hard. Since KC has in the past gone for fluffy, fabric-y things, this was not a suprise. The vet took blood and gave him an examination. He said he seemed uncomfortable, but not dangerously so. His gums had pinkened up a little by then and his blood tests were normal. He said he was dehydrated, which made sense because he wouldn't drink anything, and they gave him iv fluids and nasea meds. So the vet said to take him home and monitor him. No food and just a little water...he hadn't eaten since the day before. What do you think he did the minute he got home? Pooped! You know how you can be in dire straights with a loved one - person or dog - and you say you'd give any amount of money to make them better? $455 later, it's kind of like, thank god, we didn't lose him. We paid $455 and didn't loose him. My sister-in-law is going to pull through, and I wouldn't be suprised if her illness turns out not to be advanced colon cancer as we had feared. K.C.'s ordeal turned out to be a little blip, thank god. And thank you all for worrying about my sweet baby. He's feeling fine now and hasn't had any symptoms since Sunday!

so glad he's feeling better and hoping your sister-in-law will be fine, too!!

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah. You're right, who knew a person could pray for a good cr*p? So glad your pupper is OK. Sending lots of prayers for your SIL -- let us know how she does, will you?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm glad to hear good news on KC and on your sister-in-law. Wow, what an ordeal you have had. Please keep us

updated on both of them.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest got2now

Thank you so much. My SiL will be sedated for a few days and on a respirator, but I think the worst is over and that she's going to be fine :thumbs-up . Greypeople are the best people - thanks for all the concern

Edited by got2now

Guest got2now
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah. You're right, who knew a person could pray for a good cr*p? So glad your pupper is OK. Sending lots of prayers for your SIL -- let us know how she does, will you?
:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl