Hopeful Greyhound Mom-to-be

Guest Pam76

Guest Pam76

Hello everyone...I'm new to this board and new to Greyhounds. I have seen retired Greyhound rescue groups at local pet stores and neighborhood events, and I'm very interested in adopting one. My husband and I (in our early 30s) have a 10-year old declawed [scaredy]cat and no kids. We have a big house and a huge fenced-in yard. I've been doing tons of research on Greyhounds recently, but I was hoping to hear some personal stories about bringing your new Greyhound home to small pets. I've heard that Greyhounds are chasers, but will quickly give up on chasing small cats and dogs. Has anyone had problems or do you find that the animals end up making friends after the first week or two?

Thanks!

Pam

There is a ton of information on greyhounds and other animals online here; worth searching around! Many of us live with greys and other animals. Greyhound adoption groups screen dogs before you adopt them; many are safe with small animals, some aren't; you will be looking to adopt a "cat safe" greyhound. You also have to actively teach them to leave the other pets alone. They may or may not become friends, but in most cases they'll at least peaceably cohabit.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

:welcome2

Hi and welcome to Grey Talk!

We adopted our first greyhound about 1 1/2 years ago and our 2nd greyhound last December. We unintentionally actually worked our way up over the years, first having an Italian Greyhound, then a Whippet, and now 2 Greyhounds.

Greyhounds are the most awesome breed and we have been enriched and blessed sharing our lives with them.

My youngest son is allergic to cats, so when we fell in love with our first GH, we didn't care (nor did the adoption group) whether he was cat-safe or not, since all we had was a whippet at the time, and we knew we'd never own a cat. I now know that he is cat safe.

When we decided to adopt a 2nd GH last fall, we purposely sought out a non-cat safe large male because we know those are the hardest to adopt out. And he is definitely NOT cat safe...in fact, he has a high prey drive and dislikes any dogs besides greyhounds. My vet calls him a breed snob! :lol

But he is perfect in our family. There are many many GT'ers who have small dogs and multiple cats and their GH's coexist just fine with them!!!

You have certainly found the perfect place to come with any questions you might have. And if you adopt, we'll need to see lots of pictures! Those are the rules around here!!

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest Harry702

:welcome

We have two cats, and one extremely cat-safe greyhound named Harry. We've had Harry for about a year now, and he's GREAT with our cats (and small animals, baby woodland creatures, you name it...). I don't think we could've found a dog with a lower prey drive, greyhound or otherwise. Every once a while his ears will stand up when he sees a squirrel scamper across his path on walks, but even that is pretty rare. He mostly ignores the small fuzzies. That said, we've had foster dogs and not one has been as good with the small animals as he is... many are easily trainable, others would be a significant challenge to train, and a few can never live with small animals. For a first grey, I'd look for a group who fosters their dogs, and look for a foster dog with a proven history living with a cat, either the foster parent has a cat, or the dog is a bounce who lived in a home with cats previously. I say proven history living with a cat because I'm very skeptical of cat testing... very skeptical. Just me. Har-ball lived with a kitty in his foster home and it was tremendously reassuring to see his utter lack of interest in the cat before we decided to bring him into a house with our two feline babies.

Sounds like you'd give a greyhound a great home! Best of luck!

Guest greytful4

Hiya :welcome2 When I brought my girl home, I kept her muzzle on while my cats were around. There was the natural curiosity on both sides. My little female aby came right up to my 73 lb girl smacked her and sat right in front og her dating her to do anything about it. Since that day they all have a respect for each other. Go get your houndie!!!

Guest andthisisfresh

I don't have a cat, but my mom does. My hound spends a good amount of time at her house while I'm out working. He has no interest at all in the kitty, but the kitty does not like him. It's been about two weeks now and they just sorta avoid each other at this point. I don't think they will ever be friends, but they seem to have an understanding.

Guest Pam76

Thank you all for your replies and personal experiences. There is only so much that you can learn from books and articles, so I love to hear your stories and learn about your Greyhounds! :wubsite

For a first grey, I'd look for a group who fosters their dogs, and look for a foster dog with a proven history living with a cat, either the foster parent has a cat, or the dog is a bounce who lived in a home with cats previously. I say proven history living with a cat because I'm very skeptical of cat testing... very skeptical. Just me. Har-ball lived with a kitty in his foster home and it was tremendously reassuring to see his utter lack of interest in the cat before we decided to bring him into a house with our two feline babies.

Same opinion here as far as cat testing goes, especially if they say the Grey is cat safe because he was "afraid of the cat." I have a big boy who came here (and stayed) as a foster after going after the cats in his first foster home. He had tested cat safe at the kennel. (He has also killed a cat in the back yard - I obviously didn't know the car was there when I let him out - so he wasn't just trying to play with the cats.

Guest greymama002

When we introduced our greys to our cat, (who is very skittish with everybody & everything) we used a muzzle, but nether of our greys were the least bit interested in chasing. Now our two greys keep a polite distance from our kitty. They do often hang out in the same room, but if a grey gets within reach of kitty, she will stick out a paw to warn them to stay away. So they aren't friends, but coexist fine. Some cats do become very friendly with greys, though, really depends on the personality.

Best wishes on adopting a greyhound! You are in for much joy!

Guest houndstooth4

We had cats when we got our first three greyhounds. A lot of what happens between greys and cats depends on the personalities of both parties. One of our cats we used as a cat tester and I think he cured a lot of more timid greyhounds of ever looking at another cat again! I'd heard that if my greyhound was too interested in the cats I would know. Well, for the first couple of weeks she kept trying to get them to play with her. It wasn't until we brought our cockatiel out one night that I saw what too interested looked like. She was like a cartoon character with telescoping eyeballs when she saw that bird! After that, I didn't worry about her with them anymore. We did crate ours in the beginning when they first came home and we couldn't be there. We also used muzzles when we did initial introductions. A cat that is young (or young at heart) and will run away is a lot more of a lure to a hound who hasn't been around cats before. A cat that will stand up to the dog or who is indifferent to the dog will encite a different reaction.

Another thing to remember is that a cat indoors with a greyhound is very different from a cat outdoors with a cat. Both behave a lot differently outdoors. I wouldn't risk mine outside with cats. Not that I think they're aggressive, but because they do love the game of chase.

Oh, and welcome to Greytalk! This place is a lot of fun and wickedly addictive! I hope we see pictures of your new hound soon! Are you looking at QCGA, Greyhounds Only or Midwest Greyhounds? Or another group that I haven't heard of yet?:P

Guest GreytMuse

Both of our boys coexist with a cat peacefully -- Steven tolerates her presence, and Atticus will actually let her lay right by him and seems not to mind at all. Both of our boys had tested cat-trainable while being fostered, though we found out later that Atticus had actually killed an outside kitty at his fostermom's house.

In the beginning, we watched like hawks and made very sure that the kitty had escape routes with creatively placed babygates throughout the house. (Raised off the ground 6' or so for her to slip under).

Welcome to GreyTalk! Best of luck with your adoption plans, and please let us know how your search is going! :) We do so love to know details!!

Guest TBSFlame

If you have one that is not cat safe and never will be you will know it. Tessie would stalk her intended victims. Her eyes would glaze over and you couldn't break it. She never made a sound. She would start to drool. She was very high prey and I have no doubts she would have killed a cat if given the opportunity. Flame is the same way. No barking. I think most can be taught to live with inside cats and small dog but there are those few that will never be okay. You will know it right away.

Welcome! You are getting ready to embark on an entirely new journey! We live with 3 greyhounds, one whippet, four cats and other miscellaneous critters in tanks. Our first greyhound came to us straight from the racing kennel. He is actually our safest cat safe grey. I have pictures somewhere of one cat napping on Dante's head while both are lying in a sunbeam. Our second grey is more cat-tolerable. She knows better than to go after them, but doesn't want them near her space. She was the only one of the three that was fostered. Our newest grey is a lovable goofball and noticed the cats but didn't do anything about them. Our whippet is fine with "his" cats, but will go after any others he sees outside. Three of our current cats we have gotten as kittens after we have had at least one grey. They show no fear and have had to be trained to be respectful. Good luck with your new family member and remember our main rule around here - PICTURES! :lol

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest Che_mar_Cody

Hi Pam! Welcome!

I also had 2 kitties when I got Cody. I used a muzzle to introduce him but honestly the kitties wanted nothing to do with him for some time. Once they did the kitties ruled the house! Poor pup wouldn't even go through the door way to pee if momma cat was blocking it. :lol

My son's birds walk on top of Cody's back like he's the bus...just no problems. My pup will even protect our cats against a bully cat while outside in our yard. When outside sometimes the rules can change, so take caution when both are outdoors.

Like another said...GO GET YOUR HOUNDIE!!

My second greyhound, Loca was said to be cat safe before I adopted her. As soon as I walked in the door with her for the first time, she went after my cat and didn't stop for a few months. After tethering her to my waist for over a month and muzzling her when I wasn't home, they became great friends. She's been good around other cats but isn't safe with other small animals. I have to take responsibility for her reaction to my cat as I didn't take any of the necessary precautions for their first meeting.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest Jennifer4719

When I first brought Xena home, she was somewhat interested in my cat. When the cat was secluded, Xena didn't care about her, but when she saw the cat she would perk up and want to chase. My cat is very skittish and runs when she is scared, so that only added to the game. We usually kept Xena muzzled around the cat, but now that 4 years have passed and Xena now knows that she is not to mess with the cat, I don't muzzle her when I am home to monitor things.

Welcome to the board and good luck searching for your perfect hound!

Guest Pam76

Thank you all for your suggestions and stories! It is very helpful! My only last worry is that my poor kitty will lose his happy lifestyle if a dog comes into the picture. He always seems to hide when people come over (even friends and family), but his personality comes out when it's just me and the husband at home. I don't want him to live the rest of his life under the bed in fear. But I'm reading a lot of your stories about how some cats don't even care about the dog -- or some even like them and they hang out together. Very reassuring. Thanks again, everyone! And I love seeing pics of your pups. They're all so beautiful!

Guest Harry702

Since you mentioned pics... ;)

Harry and new feline sister, Athena, about 12 hours after he first came home...

DSC01430.jpg

Harry and Nala, our shy kitty, a few months ago...

IMG_2628.jpg

I wouldn't say that they're best friends, but everyone gets along okay... Harry is so non-threatening to them. It may take a few weeks/months for your cat to adjust to the new family member... but everyone will be fine in time.

We have a cat and recently adopted a retired racer too. They get along fine for the most part. Pixie the cat hisses when Capri gets too close. Capri mostly ignores her, but occasionally is curious and wants to be friends. Just yesterday when I was petting Capri, Pix came over to be petted too. Capri leaned toward her, Pix hissed and moved away, Capri whined and then roo'ed. As Pix trotted to safety in the other room, Capri did a play bow and bouncily trotted after her. It was very sweet.

I keep telling Capri that the kitty doesn't like being roo'ed at. :lol (Mommy on the other hand thinks it's adorable!)

(I should add that I'm not too worried about aggression in the house at this point. Capri's shown none toward Pixie, and Pix can run like greased lightening when she wants to. Plus there are lots of teensy hidey holes around the house for her to dive into.)

Edited by jetcitywoman

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Guest widowcali

I had a cat when I first adopted Cali, who tested cat safe. I did everything that the book (Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies) and the adoption coordinator told me to do. I muzzled the dog, made sure I had a good hold of the leash, etc. Then I went thru the door and saw the cat in front of the couch. Cali bolted, pulling the leash out of my hands, the muzzle fell off (did I mention I had forgotten to ask how to attach the stupid thing to a dog so I had it on upside down?) and rushed to where the cat was.

Because the cat was in front of the couch. Cali didn't care about the cat, she just saw a soft cushy bed and leaped for it. The cat and I, I'm sure, had matching expressions on our faces. Jaws dropped, staring at the dog, and then looking at each other. Rosie proceeded to sleep under the bed and would calmly walk past me every so often, wacking me in the leg or clawing at me, for about a month. Eventually she forgave me, and they became friends. They even have this game. Rosie will jump in front of Cali, and then take off at a dead run. She'll do this a few times until Cali gives chase. Then Rosie will scamper up her 6 foot cat tree and just sit there watching Cali.

Guest cindysmom

Welcome Pam!

Good for you for considering a grey! They are the most incredible breed of dog. As to cats, I had three of them when I brought home my first grey, Cindy. Cindy's prey drive was what I would call mildly moderate. She definitely had an interest in the cats, but could be distracted. For the first couple of weeks, I pretty much kept her tethered to me and crated and/or muzzled if I had to leave the house. I also had a "scardey" cat, The Little Bit, who would never come out if people came over, etc. And yes, she did hide for a few weeks. However, she was used to being the queen in the household and eventually came out. She and Cindy learned to coexist quite nicely.

It was a totally different story, however, outside. Not long after I had gotten Cindy, we had what I now call The Food Chain/Circle of Life incident. Cindy and I were out in the front yard. One of my cats, Solomon, shoved his way out the screen door, whereupon he immediately spied a baby bird who had apparently fallen from its nest but could hop along. Well, off Solomon went after the baby bird, Cindy immediately was on Solomon's trail, with me at the rear trying to decide who to take out of the equation for a good outcome for all! lol After a couple of laps around my yard with this parade (that little bird could hop fast!), I finally grabbed Solomon, which saved the baby bird from Solomon and saved Solomon from Cindy.

One thing that many of us have noticed, however, is that when one holds a cat in front of a dog, grey or otherwise, for some reason that seems to ramp up the prey drive in many of them. It was certainly so with Cindy, as though she was waiting for me to toss a stuffie so she could run after it. Just something to be aware of.

My second grey, Amber, has an extremely, extremely low prey drive. A rabbit actually jumped out of the tall grass under her nose on the opposite side of the fence, and though she was interested and her ears were up, when I called to her, she immediately turned to me and lost interest. Now THAT is some low prey drive! She and Solomon (the door crasher/shover) have been out in the front yard many times together now, and Amber could care less.

All that being said, I have no doubt that you would be able to find a wonderful grey who will have little to no interest in your kitty, and that the two of them will be able to coexist quite nicely. It just takes time and patience.

Good luck, and let us know when you get your grey!

Hi from just a bit north of you! (Bloomingdale) :)

yes, lots and lots of folks have cats and greyhounds -- if you go through a group (I'm guessing ReGAP?) they will have a good idea about cat/non-cat safe hounds up for adoption :)

welcome!

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

One thing that many of us have noticed, however, is that when one holds a cat in front of a dog, grey or otherwise, for some reason that seems to ramp up the prey drive in many of them. It was certainly so with Cindy, as though she was waiting for me to toss a stuffie so she could run after it. Just something to be aware of.

Just guessing here, but.... I would think the dog is sensing the cat's fear and THAT's what is ramping up the prey drive. I know my cats have always been more comfortable getting used to new situation on the floor on their own four feet. They seem to feel trapped if you hold them in such a situation, even if they love to be held at other times.

My grey has been trying to entice our cat to play with her. Its not working. Example: the other day she followed the cat into the dining room, where we happened to be eating dinner. Capri whined at her, started to Roo, made a play bow, tossed her head and slapped the floor with her front paws. I couldn't resist laughing hysterically, but kitty was as far from being amused as is felinely possible. I guess we need to put the kibosh on such invitations, but I'm not sure how without making Capri feel punished. She means well, it's just a HUGE language barrier.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow