Osteosarcoma

Guest anka

Thank you so much, everyone. It helps me to hear about other experiences, even if only because it forces me to stop crying, because I can't read while crying! It's doubly hard because my divorce goes through May 1st, and it feels like Ricky picked this time to go. Poor little guy. The Metacam has knocked him out - I'm calling other vets, but it would kill me to drive him anywhere else. I will see what they say.

I know from experience that all of the pain meds can cause liver failure which is why some vets are stingy but at this point that is a non-issue. Your boy needs more.

I can understand that the thought of driving your boy somewhere is frightening because you don't want to hurt him. Are there any homecare vets in your area? Sadly, at this point you are looking at pain management and ultimately, release. A good, caring, homecare vet may be a good option for you. I am happy to help research in your area if you would like me to do so.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are all wonderful for sharing your stories, and for all the kind words.

I talked to the vet, and the plan is to keep him on Metcam for as long as it works, not until the end (I was so upset that I misunderstood, so this is my fault). He didn't want to start him on the "hard stuff" until it was necessary. I will keep you all posted.

Two nights ago, we finally gathered up all the UPC codes from the Nutro bags, to get our next free bag, and I just realized we might not even need it. I think I'll give them to my neighbour.

Pat C Devil Dog and I thank you for all your support. It has really helped to hear from all of you.

:dogcookie

Anka, ask your vet to give you a small amount of tramadol and rimadyl so you can start using it if you need to when the vet's practice is closed.

:grouphug

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest HeatherDemps

So sorry that you are going through this. We, too, dealt with osteo and it just sucks. You've already gotten some great advice and I don't really have anything to add to it. Keep your baby comfortable for as long as you can and enjoy each and every moment that you have left. Thinking of you guys during this time.....

Heather

Guest luckydog
Anka, ask your vet to give you a small amount of tramadol and rimadyl so you can start using it if you need to when the vet's practice is closed.

:grouphug

What CMoon75 said. Pups always seem to pick the dead of night/weekends to get worse.

i realize there are no right or wrong answers, and the decision is highly private and personal, but i would not let mine suffer any and just drift away in a drug haze. in fact, i did just that after it spread to ember's lungs.

me too. I would not let Polli suffer. I loved her way too much. It was the hardest thing I ever had to do and it still hurts like he77.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

You are all wonderful for sharing your stories, and for all the kind words.

I talked to the vet, and the plan is to keep him on Metcam for as long as it works, not until the end (I was so upset that I misunderstood, so this is my fault). He didn't want to start him on the "hard stuff" until it was necessary. I will keep you all posted.

Two nights ago, we finally gathered up all the UPC codes from the Nutro bags, to get our next free bag, and I just realized we might not even need it. I think I'll give them to my neighbour.

Pat C Devil Dog and I thank you for all your support. It has really helped to hear from all of you.

:dogcookie

We lost our grey just a few weeks ago, 7 weeks post diagnosis. Bone cancer is very painful, and the meds are absolutely needed. We found that once the cancer really took hold, we were increasing the dosage of Tramadol every couple of days for the last few days or so.

You have to stay ahead of the pain. If it gets out of hand it will take a lot of precious time to get it under control again. I suggest that even though your pup may not need more meds now, you really should at least have other meds on hand. Murphys law says that at the moment your grey needs more meds the most, it will be a weekend, or your vet will be closed!

Our Lulu tweaked her leg getting up late one Friday night around 11PM. Because we already had all her meds on hand, we were at least able to get in touch with the vet by cell phone and discuss what dosage we could safely give to get her over the hump until she could be seen the next morning. It would have been a horrid night had we not had those meds on hand to help her.

I am so very sorry you have to go through this, it is absolutely heart wretching. Cancer just plain sucks and has taken too many of our fur babies from us. Love the stuffing out of your boy and spoil him even more than he's already used to.

Guest TBSFlame
Thank you so much, everyone. It helps me to hear about other experiences, even if only because it forces me to stop crying, because I can't read while crying! It's doubly hard because my divorce goes through May 1st, and it feels like Ricky picked this time to go. Poor little guy. The Metacam has knocked him out - I'm calling other vets, but it would kill me to drive him anywhere else. I will see what they say.

I know from experience that all of the pain meds can cause liver failure which is why some vets are stingy but at this point that is a non-issue. Your boy needs more.

I can understand that the thought of driving your boy somewhere is frightening because you don't want to hurt him. Are there any homecare vets in your area? Sadly, at this point you are looking at pain management and ultimately, release. A good, caring, homecare vet may be a good option for you. I am happy to help research in your area if you would like me to do so.

That is what my vet said. He was willing to give him whatever he needed because at this point control of the pain is more important than worry about his liver. I hate osteo.

You can increase the pain meds as needed.

Edited by TBSFlame

I'm sorry to hear your news. Please get the stronger pain meds to have on hand. You don't want to have to leave a dog in pain while you run to the vet. Hug your baby and take lots of pictures. Make sure you have someone to take pics of you with the dog. When I lost my last dog I realized that I had plenty of great pictures of the dog but none of us together. I HATE being in pictures but wish I had even one of me with my girl.

Hugs!

Methadone patches are also supposed to be a very good source of pain relief. Not sure what level of medication they are, but several of our adopters have used them for dogs with osteosarcoma.

So sorry to hear about your pup's diagnosis.

Carol Ann

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

From OSU website:

Pain control is essential in dogs where surgery is not an option; we have used either NSAIDs (carprofen, deracoxib, meloxicam) at recommended doses, or bisphosphonates such as alendronate (Fosamax®), at a dose of 10 mg/dog once a day or pamidronate (Aredia®), at a dose of 1 mg/kg, IV as a 30-minute CRI, every 3 to 6 weeks. Drugs such as tramadol (Ultram) at dosages of 1-2 mg/kg, PO, q8-12h may also be beneficial.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Lewis was diagnosed on December 16; I lost him on March 11. Pain management is essential....I think. I had him on Meloxicam (Piroxicam at the end) and Tramadol. I didn't ever feel like he was in a haze..he was fairly active until the last few days. That's when I knew it was time. Keep your boy comfortable...if your vet won't prescribe something stronger for him, go somewhere else. I am very, very sorry. I know how hard it is. Spoil him rotten and enjoy every minute of it.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

I'm so very sorry this is happening to you and your boy. I think because it is in his spine, it will be difficult. As was said previously, do not let him jump. I would insist in having some Tramadol on hand because when he needs it your vet may not ne available. Tell your vet you want enough to get you trhough the longest time he is not available - a whole weekend for example, if he won't give you a whole prescription now. It seems they are always worse at night.

Spoil him and make sweet memories and come here often. We will be here.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest jerrybird

I too think it would be a good idea to have some strong meds on hand just in case you need them when your vet is unavailable. We know how hard it is to let a pup go that you love so very much. We wish you Peace.

We lost our wonderful boy yesterday to osteo. He was diagnosed February 16 and we lost him March 30. What you are facing is difficult because you don't want him to go too soon but not stay alive too long to be in too much pain. Because Val was 11 1/2, we chose pain management and limited his activity. We increased his Tramadol over the course of the month and in the last few days we did notice that he was not getting around as easily and was not feeling well. However, he seemed so normal at times that we constantly questioned whether it was time or if we should give him more time. It is difficult and heartbreaking to let a dog go that is wagging its tail, giving kisses, and eating well. But we had to face the fact that he was declining and the time was close. We let him go in love because we didn't want it to get critical and possibly at a time when our vet was not going to be available. Just know that each day is precious. Make each day special while you can and when he goes, you will be comforted by the memories of the time you spent with him. It's what is comforting me, that I had that opportunity to give him that very special attention. We will be thinking of you.

Guest Flysmom

I am so sorry about the OS and all the other things that are crashing over you like a big wave!!!

Like all the others wrote, add more painmeds to the Metacam, because Metacam alone will not dull the pain.

I lost my Fly on March, 20th to Fibrosarcoma. We just got the Needlebiopsy results the day before but the vet I took him to told me after they took X-rays for a possible amputation that it was too late and that even with heavy doses of Painmeds he would be miserable. I gave him the biggest gift I could have given him, I let him go, even though it still kills me. In the back of my head I had the saying "Better a day to soon than a day to late"

Cry if you need to cry but smile and love him when you are around him. When I cried around Fly he got worse and I think he worried about me... Make memories, spoil him rotten, cuddle him.

Sending hugs to you guys!!

I'm so frightened that he'll go into paralysis while I'm at work. The vet said there might not be any warning, because of where the tumor is (just past the shoulder, on the spine), it might just happen.

I took all of your advice, and I asked for another pain medication, when the Metacam stops working (for now, he still seems somewhat chipper, but not how he was several months ago). He advised me to try half of his Metacam dose in the morning, and the other half at night (he seems to be good during the day, but I can tell when the medication is tapering off).

I got Deramaxx today - has anyone had experience with this? The vet also said he could eventually offer narcotics, but I figure if Ricky is at the point where he needs to be sedated, then it's his time to go.

My best pal and I thank you, everybody.

Anka, where in Canada are you? Are you in Ottawa? Is there another vet you can consult with re: painkillers?

I love the story about Ricky becoming Canadian after eating donuts. He is obviously very special.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Hi Robin,

I'm in Milton...I asked if Dr. Ball had Tramadol, but the lady I spoke with said they don't keep it in the office, that it has to be special-ordered. I'm just assuming all these NSAIDs are going help. He's ok for now...I really hope the Deramaxx will be enough when it the Metacam stops, but I have no way of knowing until I try it.

And about the donuts: they are still the ONLY thing that make him bark!!! And they're the only thing that ever did - no one ever believes that he actually does bark!

Hi Robin,

I'm in Milton...I asked if Dr. Ball had Tramadol, but the lady I spoke with said they don't keep it in the office, that it has to be special-ordered. I'm just assuming all these NSAIDs are going help. He's ok for now...I really hope the Deramaxx will be enough when it the Metacam stops, but I have no way of knowing until I try it.

And about the donuts: they are still the ONLY thing that make him bark!!! And they're the only thing that ever did - no one ever believes that he actually does bark!

I take my hounds to Dr. St-Pierre of Waterloo West Animal Hospital in Waterloo. She gave my Phoenix tramadol following his dental, so i know she carries it. She also consults closely with Dr. Couto of Ohio State. You could try making an appointment with her if you want some consultation re: painkillers.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

You can't just add one NSAID on top of another! Oh please you need the Tramadol. When Jack was diagnosed he was started on Tramadol and Meloxicam (metacam)immediately. He lived for 6 months. He was NOT sedated at all. His pain was just totally controlled. I am very concerned.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest MnMDogs

I have no experience with this, and I'm so sorry for what you're going through. But in the states, we can get a prescription written for Tramadol to be filled in a regular (human) pharmacy.

It sounds like it would be best to have it on hand if the Metacam and Deramaxx are not working at some point. The problem is, we often don't know how much pain these stoic dogs are in.

Edited by MnMDogs

Guest Greensleeves

I was going to say what Carol did--that we got Nelly's tramadol from Walgreen's. Our vets (and the e-vets) didn't carry it, but the human pharmacy is open 24/7, so we could always get refills as needed.

Guest Flysmom

Please, consult with another vet - like Jackandgrey you should not mix the NSAID!! Dr. Vilar who works with Dr. Couto cautioned me about that - Fly was on Deramaxx and then on Novox and he told me that I should not mix them!

Tramadol is a controlled substance for humans, so Pharmacies carry it, ask for a RX and pick it up.

I understand your fear!