Happy Gotcha Day Demps

Guest HeatherDemps

Guest HeatherDemps

Ten years ago today as a miserable first year grad student, I drove to Peoria with my boyfriend at the time to pick up my first very own dog. I walked into the rep's house and my first thought was "Holy crap that is a big dog". I pet you on the head in awe then though "He's mine". I signed the forms, had a picture taken with you, and we helped you into the backseat of the car. During the 40 minute drive home, I kept looking back at you thinking how beautiful you were and that I couldn't believe you were coming home with me. We got you to the apartment and settled you on the dog bed. Not 10 minutes later, my parents showed up at the door and were in for a 72lb surprise because I hadn't mentioned that I was getting a dog. They came in to meet you and although they thought I'd not made the smartest decision, and despite the fact that they thought you were crazy-muscular, they came to love and adore you almost as much as I did and they always looked forward to having "Dempser" come stay at their house when I was away.

You didn't know how to walk up the stairs, so I spent the first couple of nights sleeping on the living room floor with you. I was so proud of you when you learned how to do the stairs. And then I was terrified as you'd race up and down them like a madman. Then there was the separation anxiety- oh Dempsey, you were just crazy. I'd cry so many times and wonder what I had done to damage you so quickly.... whenever I'd think you needed a new home with another dog, you'd be good for a day or two to give me hope again. We managed along you and I- you with your anxiety and me being miserable and hating grad school. I remember after graduation, spending 2 months with you living off the leftovers of my student loan and doing nothing but hanging out with you. I remember watching an episode of Martha Stewart where she trained her dogs so easily to fetch. You and I gave it a good go, but neither one of us ever really figured out what the heck we were doing.

I loved our walks together, just you and I, with no agenda, no place to be. I loved laying on the blanket in the parks with you, rubbing your head and using your back as a pillow. You help me up when my engagement ended, you were with me when I started my first job after graduation, you were with me when I finally got us out of apartment life and we had our own house and yard, you were with me when I got married- Demps you were with me every day of my life and I hope I never, ever took you for granted.

My heart shriveled up when we found out about your cancer, right before Christmas 2007. I had always been fearful of you getting cancer, I don't know if I was worrier or if somehow I just new, but when that limp came back that morning I fell to pieces. I was so, so grateful that we had found it early enough that surgery and chemo were an option. I think almost everyone thought I was nuts for considering front leg amputation on an almost 12yo dog- your vet, my parents, other family, good friends.... I knew you though and I knew you'd want to be with me as long as possible. I hope you know that I always wanted to make choices for you that were in your best interests and I think through it all, I stuck to that promise.

That January, watching the surgeon lead you down the hall from me was, until then, the hardest moment of my life. I was so afraid I wouldn't see you again. You came through that surgery like a trooper though. When we visited you 2 days later, I thought my heart was going to rip right out of my chest. Poor Demps, you looked truly like you had been hit by a truck. You had that wild look in your eyes and I knew you were scared. Leaving you there was so hard, but we got to bring you home the next day, and already by then you looked so much better. Taking care of you that week at home was hard, but it was one of the best weeks of my life. I would have done anything for you then and watching you heal and adjust to life as a tripod was so amazing. You stunned everyone- except I knew you could do it. The first time you trotted around the yard on 3 legs I cried, it was so beautiful. Spring was coming and I knew we were going to be okay.

That damn cancer taught me to appreciate every moment with you. I knew that every day after your diagnosis was a blessing and to find joy in the little things. And oh how we did that. I was so scared to go to England in July- I was afraid something would happen to you while we were gone. I prayed to God repeatedly to keep you safe while I was gone and He did. We had you with us almost 5 weeks after we got back home.

Coming home that day to find you struggling to stand was a punch to my gut and a tear to my soul. I never expected for us to have to say goodbye so quickly. I thought the cancer would come back and we'd have some time to spend together and that I'd get to spoil you. I'm so sorry that you were in pain that last night- I regret that so much. I wish we had all understood what was happening to your poor body. I just knew that I couldn't ask more of you. Saying goodbye to you was the worst thing for me, but I knew it's what you needed and what you deserved. Demps, there will never be another dog like you. We talk about you still all the time and there are so many funny, cherished stories. You touched so many lives and you will always have a piece of my heart. I wish you were here with me today to celebrate your 10th gotcha day.

Tomorrow will mark 7 months since we had to part ways.... I'll try hard for you not to focus on that but to instead cherish the great moments we had and to remember the joys you brought to my life. You will always be my goofy Big Dog.

Until we meet again.....

:grouphug You must have had a great life together.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Happy Got Cha day at the bridge Demps.... The tribute was a Beautiful Story!!!! :grouphug:grouphug

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Oh Heather. I miss seeing Dempsey on GT so much. I remember when you were so happy because you had a professional photographer take pictures of you with Dempsey, and I remember smiling at his sweet goofy face and tearing up because the love between you was SO plain to see.

Your post was so beautifully written, and make me cry.

Happy Gotcha Day, sweet boy.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Happy Gotcha Day at the Bridge, handsome boy. Big hugs to your momma who is missing you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:inlove:angelwings:inlove

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest gotgr8hnds

I'm so glad that Demps found his forever home with you and that you were able to share your life with him. He sounds like such a wonderful boy and I know he'll live on in your :heart .

Guest HeatherDemps

Since I can't post them all here.... :)

Here's some links to my facebook albums of Demps that everyone should be able to access (if i'm doing this correctly!!)

Here's the album that has lots of pics of my boy going back to when I first adopted him:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2012...mp;l=11118b2dc6

More pictures including life as a tripod (some of iggy Peyton are in this album too):

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2004...mp;l=1eabf37d6b

Here's the prof pictures we had done last July:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2009...mp;l=c8404bbe7e

Thanks everyone, for caring and for remembering my special boy with me....

Heather

We DEFINITELY need some pix of him to savor once again!