Romeo Has Osteo

Guest Leah

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leah, I'm so sorry you got this diagnosis. Sending hugs to you and Romeo.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest NHgreys

:sad1

I'm so, so sorry you're having to go through this right now. I wish our babies could all live as long as we do, not quite fair!

Guest WarmheartedPups

I am so sorry for this news. Those of us who have been through it know how very very difficult this is.

I will hold you all in my prayers.

Guest Bethf03

:grouphug I am so sorry hear this, I know what you are going through, we just lost our sexton to osteo (on the bone of his head). I just him extra loving and I would lay on his bed with him every evening.

your in our thoughts :hope

Edited by Bethf03

Guest jeannejj

Leah, I am so sorry to hear about the diagnosis. I know exactly how you feel. When faced with the same set of circumstances, there is no right or wrong. In Mack's case, I just tried to remember that our pups have no sense of tomorrow, they only know how they feel today. When they are hurting, not enjoying life, we are only keeping them for us. Sometimes, all of the other methods are not the way we want to go. It doesn't mean that we love them less, or those that choose it love them more. We each do what we think is best. I chose to give Mack a great steak dinner and a beer (that boy loved his beer!) and to hold him and love him until he crossed the Bridge. I don't regret the decision, but I do hate that I had to make it.

Whatever you do, I wish you and Romeo the best of time together.

:grouphug

Romeo had his first two doses of morphine and he is still limping and not putting much weight on his leg. Does that mean he is still in a lot of pain? The way things are looking right now it might be this week that we let our boy go :( DH cried last night and slept on the floor with Romeo. This is killing us! I feel like I have no way to know if I am doing the right thing :(

when I treat osteo patients with high doses of pain meds they typically still do not use their leg. Pain control for osteo is the most important thing, however, the pain doesn't go away even with the meds, it simply helps. When people ask me if they will know when it's time I say yes. There are many times a dog doesn't last but a few days. Some last several weeks, rarely months with pain management alone. Unfortunately, osteo worsens daily. Euthanasia is the ultimate pain control. I wish I had helpful words.

Guest Vinnie

We are sending prayers for your sweet Romeo and your family. Osteo is an evil that I wish the world never knew about. They are right when they say that the meds only help to control the pain but the pain never stops. With our sweet Angel Vinnie we knew we had to walk him to the Bridge when the signs increased - heavy panting, coughing and whimpering when he was walking on his remaining front leg. We did not want to let him go but we had tried everything we could and we did not want to risk him breaking his leg and spending his remaining time in pain. You will know in your heart what is best for him and when. Hugs and scritches.

Guest Flysmom
Romeo had his first two doses of morphine and he is still limping and not putting much weight on his leg. Does that mean he is still in a lot of pain? The way things are looking right now it might be this week that we let our boy go :( DH cried last night and slept on the floor with Romeo. This is killing us! I feel like I have no way to know if I am doing the right thing :(

I wish there would be something any of us could do or say that would help you all!! I know how you feel, the not knowing, the doubts, the fear. Thinking to myself when I read the various posts: What do they mean when they say 'You will know' Telling myself I will never know!

I had to make this decision on Friday and it nearly killed me BUT deep in my heart I knew that it was the best decision for Fly. I cannot describe it, but when the vet showed me the X-rays and explained what is going on and gave me the 2 options I have , there was an inner calm when I choose. Now, I understand what they meant with 'You will know'.

Does not make it any easier but know you will make the right choice for Romeo!!

I am sending you and your DH hugs and positive thoughts!

Edited by Flysmom

Leah -I am so sorry. :grouphug to you and Reynolds, Romeo, Abbey and and Sweeite. Please let me know if you need anything.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

We are holding you all in our prayers.

I wasn't sure I would know with Misty because there's no pain involved. But I think when there is pain involved, you do know. I keep hearing in my head, better a day too soon then a day too late.

May you recieve the guidance and strength you need and I hope your boy stays as comfortable as possible.

You are not alone

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Greensleeves
Romeo had his first two doses of I cannot describe it, but when the vet showed me the X-rays and explained what is going on and gave me the 2 options I have , there was an inner calm when I choose. Now, I understand what they meant with 'You will know'.

This is *amazingly* said; it's been exactly that way with our two. One was a very sudden cancer diagnosis, and the other was a short but intense battle with kidney disease. There's this incredible clarity that lets you get through it, somehow. That said, I hope it's a long time before you have to make that choice!

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

:grouphug :grouphug

You always know I will tell it to you straight.

Osteo is painful, while you can manage the pain to a point there is still pain.

It's hard to let a hound go when all that is wrong is they have a "bum leg" While everything else is ok with them but this one area.

But as others have said it honestly is better a day to soon than a day to late. Spend the time with your boy and hug and love him, sleep with him and spoil him rotten, feed him anything and everything. And then find the strength to give your boy the last gift you can give him and that is to release him from this pain.

For me I never have scheduled a time to say goodbye to my hounds, I just look at them and know now is the time, call the vet and head straight over.

I am so sorry you guys have to go through this and wish I was closer to hug you both. But know you are not alone during all of this. We are all here for you and to share in your pain.

We had to make this horribly painful decision just 2 weeks ago. Polli who underwent a succesful amp, easy recovery, 5 chemos was eating like a champ, putting on weight, screaming at us to move faster when she ordered us around, took a turn for the worse on Thursday night and we made the painful decison on Sunday. We really thought we had several more good weeks.

What made our decision was her quality of life. She was misreable. It didn't matter if she would have been ok in a few days for a day or 3. From Thursday to Sunday was more than enough to witness, I couldn't do that to her hoping it might get better.

Romeo will tell you. As Mike said, the morphine doesn't take the pain away, it's pain management. Our prayers are with you, DH and Romeo.

I am so sorry you have to go through this.

An afterthought, when the time comes, see if your vet will come to your house so that Romeo can be in the comfort of his own house. It's worth a try to ask the vet if that is something you would want.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

:(

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

So very hard to see our hounds in pain, even with massive pain meds. :weep That's the horror of osteo... You'll know when it's time to say goodbye to your precious Romeo. With each of mine, they only lasted 6 weeks from the first limp until swelling set in that couldn't be controlled. His eyes will tell you when it's time. :(

Sending more prayers and hugs to you both. :hope:grouphug

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.