What's Wrong With Beau?

or, what isn't wrong with Beau?

Let me count the ways. I don't even know where to begin. Prior to everything, Beau, a small male, weighed 63 pounds. His racing weight was 62. He always looked good. Svelte.

He has severe IBD that was diagnosed via open abdominal exlporatory surgery and was put on pred an imuran. He immediately went down to 52.4 pounds on Jan. 30 and scareed the life out of me. Because of the pred and imuran, he resumed an appetite that has him eating every 3 hours including in the middle of the night.

As of this past Saturday, he was 61 pounds we lowered the pred to 30 mg. (had been on 50, then 40 now 30mg)

Last week, we lost Polli, his mother. He also, unbeknowst to be how, injured his toe and is now in a soft cast.

Beau is just is not the same. We baically have to drag him out to pee. He HAS to pee every 3-4 hours because of the pred or he leaks all over. My son who used to come home at lunch to let him out and feed him, called me last week and said, "Beau won't move, won't eat and won't take a cookie". We knew something was really wrong. That was when we found out he had an injury to his toe.

I know my dog. He is really off, depressed and just not Beau. I know he has a lot going on. When he had orthopeditic surgery 2 years ago with a full cast and screws, he still wanted to walk. We walked him in the backyard on leash for 6 weeks. Now, it's just a toe with a soft bandage and he is not willing to even get up and when the other 2 are going on their walkies, he could care less.

He looks so pathetic. I feel like I not only lost Poll, but Beau is not here either. He was off due to the pred, but this toe thing is making him totallhy isolating and more depressed. He ALSO has some hip issues. Last night after laying on his side for a long time, this poor dog got up with this left front leg with cast lifted and tripoded with the rear. He was on 2 legs.> I wanted to cry for him.

Tonight he had acupunture so I am sure it stressed him, but he is usually not this bad. He is 1.5 hours over his eating time.

I cant offer him goodies (IBD). He gets a choice of z/d wet or dry, in a bowl or kong. He also gets his tilapia treats that we make.

I know no one can offer me any suggestions as we are doing all that can be done. His labs were done on Saturday and they are fine as well.

I am ready to jump. Enough already.

I WANT MY BEAU BACK.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest CDNgreys

It's so frustrating when the dr's can't find anything and our pets can't tell us what is bothering them and we KNOW something is wrong.

I hope you get your Beau back!!!

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

He too is likely feeling Polli's absence, and I'm sure that can't be helping. I don't really have any advice to offer. It must be really hard to see your boy depressed and unmotivated like that.

Sending many hugs.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Robin, I don't know how you feel about this, but had you considered consulting the animal communicator? I know some who have had good results.

My kids always go through a period of depression when we lose someone. It is the saddest thing to try to deal with. You are the best mom I know of, and you must be at your wits end. Maxine and I often talk of your trials.

Know that your family is in my prayers.

sue

Guest gottaluvgreysindy

Oh Robin, I'm so sorry you and your crew are going through such a rough time. I will say prayers for your sweet boy to get back to his normal self. Come on Beau, be strong boy..........

Robin, I don't know how you feel about this, but had you considered consulting the animal communicator? I know some who have had good results.

My kids always go through a period of depression when we lose someone. It is the saddest thing to try to deal with. You are the best mom I know of, and you must be at your wits end. Maxine and I often talk of your trials.

Know that your family is in my prayers.

sue

I do believe part of it is Polli- but I also think like Chicocat said, the toe hurts and it's packed tight pressed against the other toes so there is no movement.

I am not a fan of animal communicators. I will PM you about that.

I went to look at the OSU site last night and they have a pamphlet about animals grieving. I am convinced that they do.

I often check out their site (check out Polli's 2 memorials, I was so touched) and I can't seem to locate the article on grievling. WOuld you please post the link?

Thanks

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Robin, I am so sorry your troubles with your pups are continuing. You guys have been through so much this year already. Your lives have been turned upside down. I know Beau hasn't been feeling good, but all of you are off your game. You're stressed, you're exhausted, you're all out of sorts. I suspect that in addition to Beau not feeling good, he's picking up on all that as well. For one thing, I think you and your DH need a real break, like a long weekend or something to recharge a bit. Is there anyone willing and able (and that you'd trust) to look after your brood for you so you could take a bit of you time? I think it might be good for not just you and your husband but for the pups as well. And beyond that, just doing the best you can to find a new "normal" routine. I get the feeling Beau is a very sensitive fellow (as my Chase is, and I know he picks up on our moods) and if you manage to take a time out and find a bit of happy it might benefit him as well as you. Just a thought. BTW, I am truly sorry I am not closer. I've thought for a while I would love to give you guys a weekend off and I totally would if I could.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Robin,

I am so sorry.... I know you been through so much... We will be praying for Beau!!!! :grouphug:grouphug:hope:hope

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Robin, I am so sorry your troubles with your pups are continuing. You guys have been through so much this year already. Your lives have been turned upside down. I know Beau hasn't been feeling good, but all of you are off your game. You're stressed, you're exhausted, you're all out of sorts. I suspect that in addition to Beau not feeling good, he's picking up on all that as well. For one thing, I think you and your DH need a real break, like a long weekend or something to recharge a bit. Is there anyone willing and able (and that you'd trust) to look after your brood for you so you could take a bit of you time? I think it might be good for not just you and your husband but for the pups as well. And beyond that, just doing the best you can to find a new "normal" routine. I get the feeling Beau is a very sensitive fellow (as my Chase is, and I know he picks up on our moods) and if you manage to take a time out and find a bit of happy it might benefit him as well as you. Just a thought. BTW, I am truly sorry I am not closer. I've thought for a while I would love to give you guys a weekend off and I totally would if I could.

Thanks. Believe it or not, we are not as stressed as you would think and for the most part all is "normal" or as normal as it can be in this house.

I don't have anyone and there are too many issues for any one person to handle!!!

I'm afraid there is something in his hips that did not show in July. He is overcompensating for the lack of use in his front and his back has a seperate set of problems.

He is isn't even 5 yet, yet he has so many "old man" issues. Not too long ago, he was my insane happy puppy.

I will bring him back in this weekend. He is not right. I know something is up.

Guest taylorsmom

Robin--have you heard of Tellington Touch? It is a healing technique, I have heard it can work wonders with animals. I don't know too much about it but it kind of seems like reiki for animals. Perhaps it would be helpful to heal Beau, emotionally as well as physically--it certainly couldn't hurt him. My thoughts and get-well wishes are with you and handsome Beau.

Edited to add: I think you could even learn how to do the TTouch techniques yourself, as well as go to a practitioner, if you have the time to do that.

Edited by taylorsmom

Flashy went through a horrible time after his soul mate Angel Sophia left for the Bridge. Sending my prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest StriderDog

Double check his foot wrappings - just yesterday I discovered that Strider's bandaged foot (he ripped off a toenail) was causing the nail on the other side to rub and cause a blister on the toe next to it.

Hopefully it's something as simple as that and Beau will get to walking again soon.

I was going to tell you what I think is going right (including the weight gain), but I don't think you want that.

Just one thing that you may not have been told: pred can flatten a dog. Minnie was on pred for many months after her IBD was diagnosed. Granted that, compared to Beau, she was smaller (especially after losing an even higher proportion of her body weight) and was on a much higher dosage, but the impact of the pred on her mood was substantial. She was flatter on the pred than she had been through repeated--even life-threatening--bouts of HGE. (She also leaked like a seive and had a startling increase in appetite.) The impact can be gradual and cumulative. Even if it wouldn't have been apparent on it's own, it might affect his ability to handle all the other matters, including the grief. The "good news" is that his mood will improve as his dosage is reduced.

And StriderDog makes a good point--Piper had that happen too.

Edited by GreyPoopon

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Sending hugs to everyone.............. when one in the family has a problem - it affects all. Did you test his thyroid? Tick diseases? Sugar levels? All these have very simple symtoms that usually only a Mom would know about.

Tina dogmom to Rocket and Angels Cofax (my girl) 5/9/01-7/1/10(OS), ReRun (my boy)(4/18/95-4/19/07 Heart tumor)) Dedicating my life as much as I could - to keeping the smile alive of my Lambie Pie - lost 12/04 to Rocky Mtn Spotted Fever.... & then there's the hubby - Bob

.... http://www.freewebs.com/3nofleas/ .