Is Heartguard Necessary In Los Angeles?

Guest RainShine

Guest RainShine

I've been told that it's not necessary to do the Heartguard or Interceptor in the Los Angeles area. I was recommended to do when I got Sunny but now 6 months are up and I understand we must do a blood test before administering the next 6 months. Can anyone please fill me in on this? Thank you so much!

Guest Spencers_Greyt

I recommend yearly Heartgard. My thought is if I can prevent something with a shot or pill I will do it. The cost is sky high to treat a dog that gets hearworms and a lot of times they don't make it through the treatment. Taking a chewie once a month is a small price to pay. Arizona is another place where they say you don't "have" to use Heartgard but I would never take the chance.

Guest greytloves

NO mosquitos? Really? Wow. Growing up really close to the Everglades and now here in East Texas, I could not imagine life without those pesky buggers.

But, I would check, are there any cases of heartworms in the area? And do you give the Plus version for the other worms? Those are still there so do you substitute with another wormer?

I am in the same boat with Asti and Nala. Neither are currently on anything. I missed the 6 month mark so I do have to do a blood test to put them back on it. Although Nala was on Revolution which did not require a retest if I remember right. My vet told me it depends on where you take your dogs. Some areas are higher risk than others. I don't live in technically a high risk area. But we see a lot of mosquitos these days.

I keep Shanti on it as I just don't want to open up anything else that can give us issues. :P

The Girls

I haven't had any of mine on heartworm preventatives for years. But, I think vets around here usually recommend it. I hardly ever see mosquitos, but I'm sure they are around.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

The risk of infection in So Cal is low, however the risk increases with time spent outdoors and exposure to coastal area where the infection rate is reportedly higher. See Map for more info. Additional info is available Here. I also think about the number of foreclosures in SoCal with swimming pools that are left filled and can be potential breeding grounds for mosquitos. The risk may be rising faster than research is able to document. For me, it seems like the cost of meds far outweighs the risk of infection and treatment for the nasty buggers. :)

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest SoulsMom

It's necessary everywhere. I live in New England and saw a mosquito in my house two months ago. In January. The temp outside was 5 degrees :huh

so cal gets more mosquitoes every year. a lot of them are being shipped in with those lucky bamboo plants that you see everywhere. they are shipped in water from a mosquito rich country, so the days without EVER seeing a mosquito may be coming to an end. the worst part is, they are tiger mosquitoes (like the kind I used to see in Virginia Beach)...they are daytime mosquitoes and they are so big you can actually see the stripes on them. I keep Holly on meds just to be safe.

tiger mosquitoes

eek

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest Spencers_Greyt
The risk of infection in So Cal is low, however the risk increases with time spent outdoors and exposure to coastal area where the infection rate is reportedly higher. See Map for more info. Additional info is available Here. I also think about the number of foreclosures in SoCal with swimming pools that are left filled and can be potential breeding grounds for mosquitos. The risk may be rising faster than research is able to document. For me, it seems like the cost of meds far outweighs the risk of infection and treatment for the nasty buggers. :)

You are so right about the abandoned swimming pools! It's a huge problem in Arizona especiall with summer coming! West Nile virus is up here because of that so as you said, better safe than sorry!

Guest RainShine

Thank you so very much for all your responses! You've been very helpful and I appreciate your time and thoughts. I will definitely go ahead with the meds as we do quite a lot of hiking in the hills and there are always mosquitos around in the summer.

You wouldn't think there'd be skeeters in Phoenix, but the same way they screwed up the relatively allergy-free environment by bringing in all the plants that spread pollen, the greened-up pools are now breeding grounds for skeeters.

In the woods, you may be fairly safe; they're probably living on critters that are not reservoirs for the parasite. It's when they start feeding on infected dogs and cats that the problem begins. Of course, if the hills are alive with feral cats, then- back to square one.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

I give it year round--and my vet still insists on a test annually! Oh well. I knew a dog once who died of heartworm because his family didn't think it was important to give the pills. It was a painful way to go--

I do insist on a written prescription because my vet's office marks up medications 100%! I don't mind paying for their services, but I'm not going to pay double what I should for heartworm and Frontline Plus!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest RainShine
I give it year round--and my vet still insists on a test annually! Oh well. I knew a dog once who died of heartworm because his family didn't think it was important to give the pills. It was a painful way to go--

I do insist on a written prescription because my vet's office marks up medications 100%! I don't mind paying for their services, but I'm not going to pay double what I should for heartworm and Frontline Plus!

Where do you purchase your Frontline Plus and and heartworm meds?

Guest FordRacingRon
I've been told that it's not necessary to do the Heartguard or Interceptor in the Los Angeles area. I was recommended to do when I got Sunny but now 6 months are up and I understand we must do a blood test before administering the next 6 months. Can anyone please fill me in on this? Thank you so much!

We have cases of west nile in LA,,there are mosquitos. Do the heartguard.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Personally I use "Revolution" it is flea/tick & heartworm preventative. I get it at Dr Fosters & Smith's website. I believe for an 82lb. grey for 6 months of treatment is $83. I have two that I have to treat.