Buddy, The Best Boy In The World

rascalsmom

Buddy (WW Streamline) 1/30/97—3/9/09

We adopted Buddy in November 2001. He was a two-time bounce who was in a foster home with his littermate, Zip. His foster family thought about keeping him, since he and Zip were such good buds, but we adopted him, and they knew he was coming to a good place.

Buddy was initially rather "grouchy" if you got too close to him, he would growl, and don’t try standing over him when he was in bed. I would never have called it space aggression, but more of a trust issue. Once he decided we were worthy of his trust, he changed immensely. He became the most loving dog, and our true lap dog. He loved nothing more than to be petted, loved, and cuddled.

Rascal just adored Buddy; she had a playmate, and she found ways to get him to chase her—mostly by biting his neck or his back legs. It was all in good fun, she never ever hurt him, and he was incredibly patient about it, never giving her a harsh word.

Some of the things Buddy loved were sunshine, walks, food, his other greyhound friends, and going in the car. We took him to Dewey six times, and to Gettysburg three times; he was a wonderful traveler, never a complaint from him. He enjoyed going to the beach in Dewey, and cuddling with his daddy in the motel.

Buddy also loved motorcycles, most especially Harleys, and Dodge diesel pickup trucks. He would get so excited when a motorcycle passed; he SO wanted to chase them, and his ears would perk up the minute he heard a Dodge pickup. It was so funny. He knew a Dodge diesel from a Ford or Chevy diesel, and wanted no part of the latter two!

Buddy slowed down a lot in the last year or so. We attributed it to him getting older, and our walks became shorter and slower. However, in January he started to have a lot of trouble with his back end. Many trips to the vet, the neurologist, and the acupuncturist helped him a bit, but he went up and down by the day. Finally, we found out that he had lymphoma, and yesterday we took our beloved boy to the Bridge. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do, but I knew it was the best thing for him. He was such a wonderful friend, and he trusted and loved us so much, we could not let him suffer anymore. We knew he could never beat the beast that had ahold of him.

He left very peacefully, and God willing, he is waiting for me. I will never, ever forget him, and I will miss him every day for the rest of my life. He really was the Best Boy in the World, and I am so thankful that I was able to love him for over seven years.

buddyleaves.jpg

budlounge1.jpg

Edited by rascalsmom

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ihave been following and am so very sorry. He was a special boy. May you find peace and comfort at this time.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I'm so sorry for your loss. Buddy was a very fine looking boy & was obviously well loved. Godspeed Buddy! f_yellow

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I'm so sorry. :cry1

Godspeed Buddy.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

What a heart warming tribute to your Best Boy. :grouphug He was much loved and will live on forever in your hearts. :beatheart Godspeed, sweet Buddy... :gh_run

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest Che_mar_Cody

Seems it's extra hard when one of our own groups pups pass to the bridge, I'm so very sorry. We dedicate this poem to you and Buddy!

Watching you mom from the heavens above,

knowing you gave me all of your love.

I'm free of pain, I can run and play,

and you betcha mom, I'll see you some day.

You were the best mom, no pup could ask for more,

I was your "Bud" mom, since I was age four.

I know this is hard, but I ask you to do,

take care of Rascal & Ruby too!

This isn't goodbye, it's just an ado

Remember mom, I'll always love you too!

Seems it's extra hard when one of our own groups pups pass to the bridge, I'm so very sorry. We dedicate this poem to you and Buddy!

Watching you mom from the heavens above,

knowing you gave me all of your love.

I'm free of pain, I can run and play,

and you betcha mom, I'll see you some day.

You were the best mom, no pup could ask for more,

I was your "Bud" mom, since I was age four.

I know this is hard, but I ask you to do,

take care of Rascal & Ruby too!

This isn't goodbye, it's just an ado

Remember mom, I'll always love you too!

Oh, Pam, thank you so much.

I am so sorry for the loss of your precious Buddy.

:grouphug

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

I am very sorry for your loss. My Bullet just passed to the bridge. I'm sure he' s playing with your buddy.

:grouphug

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know just how you feel.