Wally Got A Boo Boo

Wally cut his side somehow at the park today. I took him to the vet who wants to leave it open and just gave me some antibiotics and a wound scrub. I trust my vet but to me I think it needs a couple of stitches. What do you guys think? I'm a bit of a worry wart but it's still bleeding 3 hours later.

Hobbeswinter2008533.jpg

Hobbeswinter2008534.jpg

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

Yikes! I personally would think stitches too, but I am not a vet.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

I seem to remember reading once there is some sort of time limit on getting stitches. Something like within 12 hours and after that it's too late and the wound has to be left open. So if you do want it stitched up, I think evet would be best.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest jg_consult

Check back with another vet! In addition to stitches, Wally may have tears under the skin that need to be stitched internally. Greyhound skin can tear underneath, even though in looks fine on the outside.

One other point - did the vet give you any antibiotics? The edges of the wound look like there is loose skin, which may get infected.

Check back with another vet! In addition to stitches, Wally may have tears under the skin that need to be stitched internally. Greyhound skin can tear underneath, even though in looks fine on the outside.

One other point - did the vet give you any antibiotics? The edges of the wound look like there is loose skin, which may get infected.

I'm going to bring him to the e vet tonight. Unfortunately I have to go out this afternoon but I'll bring him when I get back. He was sent home with an antibiotic which he already got. Poor boy.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

I've managed bigger wounds at home. It takes some vigilance. Usually our vet will at least clean the margins, Wally's looks like there's skin flaps.

It's in a tricky place for stitches. The skin is going to tug and pull as he moves and the stitches may rip out anyway - then you're out the cost of anesthesia, and stitching not to mention the e-vet charge - and you won't be able to have it stitched again as the skin will be too thin and ragged.

But only you can determine what you're comfortable with dealing with at home. It's probably worth a second look anyway.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

If they stitch it they will have to make it a lot larger and they probably will not hold. I would try to handle the wound instead of putting him under for it stitches.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Poor Baby!!!!! :kiss2:kiss2 I would keep a very close watch on it, it is better if it heals on its own..

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

It may have been to do with the amount of time passed before he saw the vet....not a criticism of you...but the edges of the wound quickly "die" and would effectively need to be cut back further to enable suturing to be effective...your vet may have thought that it would be better to leave it in this instance. I have seen larger wounds that have not been stitched but kept clean they have healed well...it may take a little while though.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Guest greytloves

I've had wounds that have been a day before stitching with no worries, it does make the spots heal faster, but that looks as if it may be in a spot where it would pull. I'm on the fence, some of those size wounds I have stitched, some not and used hydrotherapy to heal, but that takes a lot longer.

oy! I would have that stitched :(

sending healing hugs!! :bighug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

That's right on the fence for the size of wound I'd have stitched. Not in a good location either. Tough call. I'd probably slap some EMT gel on it and call it a day, but only you know what you are comfortable with. If the vet says no stitches, I'd tend to trust him.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

I didn't end up taking him back to the vets, I called the e vet and explained the wound the best I could. They suggested I just continue with what my vet has done. Wally doesn't seem bothered by it at all so I'll just try to keep it as clean as I can.

Edited by greytluck

I didn't end up taking him back to the vets, I called the e vet and explained the wound the best I could. They suggested I just continue with what my vet has done. Wally doesn't seem bothered by it at all so I'll just try to keep it as clean as I can.

That's great that it's not bothering him. And I'm sure making the call made you feel better

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

You could get a bottle of Colloidal Silver (over here we can get this in a health food store) and you want a bottle which comes with a dropper. Just a couple of drops on the wound daily should really aid with the healing.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest myneedlenose

Get in touch with kjw on GRA, I know she has colloidal silver in her arsenal and I'm sure she would be happy to send you some. I keep a bottle on hand in case of open wounds to kill of any nasty bacteria that might linger around.

Oh boy....that looks sore. Heal swiftly sweetie. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I"m not a run to the vet fast kind of person, mostly because it's very expensive and time wouldn't always allow it. My dogs have had injuries, only several over the last 20 years or so, that were silver dollar sized and smaller that I've treated with PSO and keep them from licking them and they've always healed up very well without issue and left little to no scarring. I use t-shirts to keep them from worrying the wound and usually within about 7-10 days it's all gone. (t shirt goes over head and a knot tied around the tuck area to keep it on, front legs go out the sleve holes, Wally's wound might be a little to far back for that, but worth a try) Keep an eye on it and keep him from licking and keep it dry. And of course give him tons of loving!!

I have chosen to not stitch wounds this size before and slightly larger. It's a difficult location to stitch. You will see how it will slowly close, layer by layer.