You Guys Seen Toes Like This Before?

One of bounces we took in is having a very time walking - it's clear that something's up with her toes/nails:

064.jpg

I'll be making an appt. on Monday, but any ideas? The one second from the left looks like it's totally twisted around! :blink:

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Were his nails longer when you picked him up? I wonder if they twisted due to hitting the ground when he walked. Let us know what you find out.

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds

Poor little girl. I'll be really interested in what the vet thinks. The way that second one looks with the growth underneath is how Misty's were.

For her, it turned out it was because of her thyroid

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Were his nails longer when you picked him up? I wonder if they twisted due to hitting the ground when he walked. Let us know what you find out.

I believe they were (I wasn't at her pickup). There are a bunch of notations in her medical records about the toes, and something about them being "corkscrew". The owners claim it was a racing injury? But honestly, I don't remember her having any issues when we placed her the first time, so right now it's a big mystery and she's clearly in pain.

Edited by BauersMom

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Guest jettcricket

Wow...poor baby. I have a fetish with my dog's nails and try to keep them at a good length. I wonder if that's what's causing her toes to splay like that all thou there not that long.

Please let us know how you make out....

Edited by jettcricket

Guest alf7199

I am the foster mom of this special pup, I took the pic this morning (Sunday), I have not trimmed her nails so the lenght in the pic is what they were we I picked her up. She did have her nails clipped on 2/18/09, though. She is such a sweetie! :blush

Guest BlackandBrindle

Granted, I am by no means an expert but I have seen toes that look like that once before.

In the case of the other greyhound it's because his owner NEVER did his nails :angry:

So that would be my guess. (off to dremel my own babies now)

Guest MnMDogs

Our foster has a toe that does that - I'd be interested to hear what your vet says. I know he was in the Tucson adoption kennel for a year before he came this way.

Are his toes very long and flat? Or is it just his nails that look funny? My Rascal had to have his tendons under his foot, to his toes, severed on his right back foot. this due to his Achillies tendon reconstruction that healed too tight. (so his toes ended up being pulled under) anyway, his foot has really long toes now, not the nice normal little bunch of toes that most greyhounds have. He walks pretty well on that foot even without the springy toes that he should have.

Edited by 3DogNite

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Ok, so I had a chance to see Sweetie today (OMG, what a sweet dog!!) and this is one screwed up foot!

The leftmost nail goes UP. The pad for that toe is so warped, it looks like she's walking on bone (and not the pad). The second to the left toe has a screwed up pad also, but not as much. I'm amazed she's walking as well as she is!

She's in good hands with Amy though. :)

I am not an expert, but I looked this up in one of my many books on greyhounds. It could possibly be "deformed nails" - the toenails can become twisted or bent during regrowth of broken or pulled-off toenails. Signs: Toe nails may regrow with an abnormal flattened out shape, or develop a twisted or hooked end following a broken nail or loss of the nail during exercises. Cause: Deformed nails can be present at birth and may be inherited in a bloodline on rare occasions. Abnormal nail regrowth is most common following a nail bone fracture, which does not set to a normal shape, thus resulting in a deformed shape as the outer nail regrows over the nail bone. Management: A deformed nail in a racing or retired Greyhound is usually best trimmed or filed every 7-10 days to prevent it interfering with and abrading the adjacent toe, or twisting the toe abnormally when the Greyhound walks or gallops. In most case, the nail can be trimmed back to the level of the quick, and the end covered with a polymer or epoxy glue mix that hardens on drying, or touched with a hot cautery iron, to seal the exposed end against infection. In severe cases, surgery to remove the nail bone reduces the risk of further nail and toe injury in a racing Greyhound.

Maybe this will help? Good luck at the vet.

Sounds close to what we're looking at, except it's affected her pads also. And I wonder if is it likely to see that deformity on multiple toes, or just one?

Sounds close to what we're looking at, except it's affected her pads also. And I wonder if is it likely to see that deformity on multiple toes, or just one?

I would not be surprised if it is something that can affect more than one toe. When they run full tilt around the track, and their toes are digging in for stability, certainly more than one can get compromised. It could be that this was going on for some time. Maybe, at first, it was one toe, then the other was affected. I would be really interested to learn what the vet says.

wow, I have no idea about the cause, but I wonder if she would have less pain if she wore a boot?

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

poor girl I would sugest a thera paw once the nails are trimmed shorter. Prayers for some painfree walkling for her

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

My Skorch has deformed toes. He was almost eight when I got him. He has one toe that sticks out really far and it is skinny and has lots of ridges. He has some toes that have no nails at all, one grows straight up, and he has others that look funny and are very thick.

He had a hanging toe nail not long ago. It was bleeding and I took him to the vet right away. The vet just pulled it off and then charged me for an office visit....I felt silly. I try to keep Skorch's nails as short as possible, but even when cut, they still look long. The vet said the only way he could get them down to where they should be would be to put him under -- if he had a dental or something else like that. Actually, he has nice looking teeth, so I don't think that's going to happen.

The good thing is that Petsmart doesn't charge me to clip his nails. I pay full price for the girls, but they don't charge me for Skorch.

From Wisconsin -- It's Nancy, Bob, Carla, June Bug and our newby Skorch.... along with Buffy. She's the little hound that meows.

With loving memorials to K.C., Barko and Major Turn -- all playing at the bridge.

Well, Sweetie was brought to the vet - boy, the look on the vet's face when he looked at her foot was priceless. It was kinda like this ----> :blink:

So in reading through her medical history, it's clear there was a traumatic event at some point. The records focus on the nail - the nail falling off, the nail bleeding, etc, with NO mention of the fact that her outer most toe is totally disfigured.

Here are some updated pictures from today:

CIMG1986.jpg

CIMG1987.jpg

This one shows the lack of proper padding... she's walking more on the bone than the pad.

CIMG1990.jpg

He manipulated her foot and while the 3rd digit is clearly not right, it's only the 4th outer one that is apparently causing her pain (she screamed when he touched that one :()

She has to go in for a dental next week, so he's going to take x-rays and see what's going on. But it pretty much looks like she's losing that outside toe... and hopefully there's nothing else going on with her foot.

Pretty much everyone fell in love with her at the vet. :lol She's sooo sweet!! (for more pics, see here)

Poor baby! That looks painful. Gabe has one weird foot, but his toes/nails aren't twisted like that. He just has two long, flat toes, where he severed tendons in an accident before we adopted him. The nails on that foot do tend to get a little weird if we don't have them clipped regularly, because those nails aren't ground down by walks on cement in the way his other nails are.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.