Been At The Vets Today.. Brain Tumor Is Suspected

Guest Alexandra_W

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Alexandra_W

Yes, but keep fingers crossed that the orthoped founds SOMETHING. Otherwise I am back to square one, when he needs extended examinations, that I van not afford to pay by myself, and the insurance company will not pay for..

Yes, but keep fingers crossed that the orthoped founds SOMETHING. Otherwise I am back to square one, when he needs extended examinations, that I van not afford to pay by myself, and the insurance company will not pay for..

Take a breath, one step at a time. The good thing is that he's comfortable and it's much easier to go slow when they are comfortable.

The Metacam is working its magic and that's a good thing. We'll be praying for answers on the 12th. Please keep us posted, he's always in my thoughts.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Alexandra_W

Off the metacam since sunday night, and doing worse, both physically and mentally. But he has to be off the metacam on the appt on thursday, so..

Poor cutie, I really hope they find the problem on thurs..

Guest Alexandra_W

I'm in chock atm, so only short update. But my boy sure is one of a kind, and both brave and with a tremendous high olerance of pain.

Appt with the orthopedic vet today. And initially he refused to show any signs of pain or discomfort, but when she used her magic fingers to press on THE right spot, he has to give in. Mildly, turning his head and lick his lips. At one moment the vet said that 'we KNOW doing this causes really bad pain, and it is good at measuring what tolerance of pain a dog has'. Then she pressed, and my darling boy slowly turned his head against her, and licked his lips. No other sign.

But, to make a long story short - he has inflammation in almost every single joint. Front knees, elbows, back knees, hocks. Hip joints fine though. The joints in his back end, pain in muscles in back end and rear legs.

And if that wasn't enough, so many inflammed joints is to 99.9 percent auto-immune..

Im in chock, and just wants to cry. That much pain, and he hasn't shown anything, except the grumpiness and behavioural changes. And hell, he surley had a cause being grumpy. I cant believe he hasn't been MORE grumpy, or downrigh aggressive. Poor, brave boy.. =/

Edited by Alexandra_W

Are you now able to re-start the Metacam. If I remember correctly, he did well on it and it really eased his pain.

Please give him a hug from his fan club here in the desert

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

Guest Alexandra_W
Are you now able to re-start the Metacam. If I remember correctly, he did well on it and it really eased his pain.

Please give him a hug from his fan club here in the desert

I will give him (another) hug. He thrives on all the 'poor boy'-attention and that everyone suddenly treats him like expensive crystal glass ;)

He will not be restarted on metacam, as it just eased the pain and inflammation, and not took it away.

He will be put on cortisone, but thet will wait for the test results first. I will give a more detailed update in a moment, I have managed to collect myself a bit now.

Oh wow. That poor, brave boy! And so young!

You are both very much in my thoughts, too.

A chant for pain and inflammation relief!

*Swelling go down. Pain flow away. Health reward this strong boy for being so brave! :nod: Swelling go down. Pain flow away. Health reward this strong boy for being so brave! :nod: Swelling go down. Pain flow away. Health reward this strong boy for being so brave! :nod: *

Repeat as necessary!

:bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest Alexandra_W

So, now I am still in chock, and I guess it still really hasn't 'got to me' and sunken in.

But here is a bit more detailed summary.

The orthopedic vet started to feel through him. He happily and softly and with NO signs of discomfort let her stretch and bend his legs. Was praised that he was softer and more supple than most healthy dogs. Maybe a little, little resistanse stretching the back knees, maybe.

Then she spent a full 40 minutes watching him move in walk and trot, from every angle possible. No limping, only thing was that he did a little inward rotation of femur/back nee at the end of the movement with left back leg. Very slightly. And maybe he was a little bit to fast to upper the pace to trot, rather than extend the walk. And if they really, really looked for the slightest things, maybe he had his rear a little, little bit tucked in to one side, and had a slightly rotated pelvis. But as she said, it was very small things, and could perfectly well be just the way he moved. Few dogs moved perfectly straight and 'by the book'. But it could also suggest some discomfort in the rear end.

Then she examined him again. He didn't bat an eyelid. Until she let thos otrohopedic fingers press the very right spots. Then he had to give in. But as written before, not even when she inflicted GREAT pain, he did more than lick his mouth and gently turning his head.

But she is a pro, and the findings when palpating, and the very mild signs of discomfort wrote a picture that made me cry...

He has limited extension in both back knees.

He has joint swelling and pain in both elbow joints, both carpal joints (front knee), both hocks and both back knees. He also has joint pain in lower back. And muscular pain in the lower back and thighs and surrounding area in back legs.

VERY well muscled in front, 'only' normal in back legs, ie he holds the movement with his back legs.

Ie, the poor thing is in great pain litterally all over, and almost every joint. I just want to cry..

Then things went from bad to worse when vet said that so many inflammed joints and the overall picture in such a young dog, and for no apparent reason, is to 99.9% due to auto-immune disease, and mentioned reumatoid arthritis, SLE and other scary stuff.

They draw blood (dog fell asleep in comfort..) and sent a test called an ANA-test, to look for antibodies to the cells. That would if positive without a doubt confirm autoimmune disease. If the test is negative, it can still be auto-immune, and then they will go on with synovial (joint fluid) tests from four inflammed joints, and analyse that.

No matter what, the treatment is the same. There is no cure. Just trying to keep the evil thing under control, and give the dog as good quality of life as possible. They treat t with cortisone steroids, and treatment if life long, and the goal is to find the minimum working dosage. It is some hefty side-effects on steroids though, and some dogs just cant stand the side-effects. Other dogs just do not respond to treatment and has to be put down. And some of the auto-immune disease is joint degenerative, and then the outcome and long term prognosis are bad. But IF they respond to treatment, and IF they don't have a lot of side effects, they can usually get some golden years more. But I consider him as on borrowed time from heaven from now on. And just hope it will be a long time.

They will not give any treatment befor the ANA-test results, as he can not be on steroids when they should take the joint fluid sample. The ANA-test result should take about a week.

Then when treatment starts, it will be aimed at reduce inflammation in the joints and make the pain go away. He will be given HIGH doses of cortisone the first weeks, then if he responds, gradually lowered. When he is 'steady', ie not in so much pain and not so much inflammation, it will be rehab. Swimming and so on, to build up what he lost, and encourage him to use his back legs and back to its full potential again, when it isn't painful.

And then, IF we get that far, it is all about keeping the evil under control and prevent it from blowing up again.

Poor, lovley thing is just 4½ years, and then this.. =/

And he hasn't showed a step out of the normal, not a sign of pain. Jumped in/out of car, up/down the bed, runned happily by own will in deep snow, played tough and hard with his friend, and never even yapped of pain or limping one single step. Just the behavioural change, even though the TREMENDOUS amount of pain he must be in. Lame and sore in all four legs AND back, and no possibility whatsoever to relief a sore leg/back. And not even when his young, energetic friend has bumped right into him, he has bat an eyelid.

I am just stunned, that dog has the biggest, bravest heart I have ever known. And I just want to cry knowing what he must have been living through at least since dec (maybe longer as he do not show)..

I just want to cry, but still so RELIEVED that I was right, even though people told me I was silly and imaging. That I kept on arguing, kept on demanding they run more tests, do more exams because I could tell something really was realyy wrong. That I just wouldn't accept that 'he just has became a bit grumpy after the neutering'.

Edited by Alexandra_W

Wow, this is a lot to take in that's for sure. Being a blood donor, I'm not surprised he fell asleep while they drew blood. That's old hat for him.

I have to say, I give you a lot of credit for pushing because you know your boy and you know when something isin't right. And you love him, that's obvious.

He's always tucked in our prayers and I hope beyond hope, that the steroids do the trick. He's one very brave boy that's for sure

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Wow, is right. I'm just now catching up on what's been happening in Sweden - what a rollercoaster you have been on! One thing for sure, CANYON HAS THE BEST MOM! Alexandra, you are my hero! Nothing does my heart good like a Mom following her gut instinct and fighting for what she believes in! Congratulations!

Don't think of Canyon being on "borrowed time" - they are all "on loan" to us anyway. Just love him as you always have - he obviously thrives on it, or he wouldn't be the "Greyt" dog that he is!

Please keep us updated! Sending many, many prayers that the steroids work and that he can get by on a very low dose. Hang in there, Alexandra!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Hugs to brave Canyon. Alexandra, you have done such a great job fighting for your boy to get the treatment he needs.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Guest Alexandra_W

He is really spoilt rotten now. Today he got a electrical heated bed, with memory foam. I guess my dentist visit can wait until next month..or so.

Oh my word. I have missed some bits of your story but am sending many good wishes for you and your sweet boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.