Acupuncture Question

Buddy has an appointment Thursday to see a holistic/acupuncture vet.

I was wondering if acupuncture provides fast relief, or if it takes awhile? Just wondering what to expect...

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

It depends. Cricket was having circulation problems. One time I was sitting with her during a session and I watched her skin blue up in front of me.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest vahoundlover

I've heard it depends. For Boss it was instant. My DH was totally against trying acupuncture on Boss. He was afraid it would make him worse. He was a believer the minute I got Boss out of the van after his first appt. He became such a big believer HE started making Bossy's appts and taking him.

Cody relaxed IMMEDIATELY and got some benefit from the 1st one, then more from successive ones

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Guest Spencers_Greyt

It depends. When Spencer's back wasn't so bad it provided next day relief. With his back now it just gives him a bit more mobility but I have been doing this for 4 months now and I can definitely see a difference. It's just not that dramatic.

Thanks for the input, everyone. :colgate

It does lead to another question, though. (Couldn't expect me to stop at one question, could you? :rolleyes: )

How often do you go for a treatment? (I realize each dog is different, just looking for an idea of how often.)

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

With Sugar it was a slow but steady improvement. At first we went, I think it was every two weeks? (it was just over a year ago, how sad that I can't remember :blink: ). I do know that by the first of the year it was once a month, and when she passed, we were up to quarterly visits, which I think is considered maintenance. But, as always, it depends on the dog!

Spencer got relief the first day and kept improving. We started with weekly treatments, quickly went to every two weeks. But when we tried setting the appointments every three weeks, he'd start doing the stumbling, etc. again in the third week before the appointment. Since he's a big dog and the vet says he's going down hard when he goes down, I just take him in every two weeks. On this schedule he has very little trouble.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I started every other week and then every third week for a while. I believe every week would have been the "right" way to go. At $123 a visit, which was what I was paying, I couldn't do it every week. Now I have someone else and Alan gets treatmens once a month.

Guest Greensleeves

Our experience with acupuncture was a whopping three treatments :lol (which *worked*; unfortunately, we lost the dog to kidney failure before she could continue the therapy), but I did want to mention something we were warned about beforehand:

The acupuncture can initially make their symptoms WORSE. A few GTers mentioned how horrible it was to see their dogs in more pain than ever, and how they swore they'd never go back, etc.... I asked Nelly's acupuncture vet about this, and she said, "It can happen, sometimes--and when it does, it usually means that they'll see a lot of relief from the therapy." So there's a silver lining to that "it gets worse before it gets better" thing.

In Nelly's case, we saw a small amount of improvement straightaway. Her appetite improved and her mobility was better. I just wish we'd been able to start her earlier. :(

Indy (turned 11 in December) had his first acupuncture treatment in Nov08. I, too, wasn't sure what to expect or how often to take him.

In Indy's case, I noted immediate improvement. I have taken him for three sessions to date; once every five weeks. He is more playful and seems re-energized. During the first visit, the vet inserted needles only. I also muzzled Indy, as I wasn't sure if he would get anxious or growly during placement of the needles. With the second visit, the vet added low electrical stimulation which Indy tolerated well. Indy stood for the first two visits. By the third visit, Indy actually sat down on his mat for awhile. Yay!

I have been extremely pleased. If Buddy is a food-a-holic like Indy, I would give him a few treats during the session for positive reinforcement :dogcookie Good luck!

It may depend on the dog and also on what the acupuncture is for. Jazz was noticeably improved with her back after 4-6 weeks (weekly sessions during that time). She went from refusing to jump out of the car to jumping out before I was ready to help her.

Both Teddy and Beau go. Teddy has been going for over a year. Beau started in June and had a one month lapse due to his surgery and recovery.

It is normal and customary for things to get worse before they get better but after the 3rd treatments, you should start seeing results.

Best of luck.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Thanks for the input, everyone. :colgate

It does lead to another question, though. (Couldn't expect me to stop at one question, could you? :rolleyes: )

How often do you go for a treatment? (I realize each dog is different, just looking for an idea of how often.)

When we first started seeing the acupuncturist for Mandy's back spasms, we went twice a week for 2 weeks, then weekly for about a month, then kept extending the time between. We are now at 8 week touch ups, which seem to be just about right. Most dogs just lay down and relax immediately, but Mandy had to be different, she paced around the room and whined (in fact did the GSOD a couple of times), but now she settles in pretty quickly. It's always interesting to watch, her belly goes from pale to a dark pink/red from the increased blood flow while she is laying there.

Good luck!

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

We used to go every week, but when things got better we go every other and then every 3rd week. We get a discount to bring both boys in together. I used to pay $126.00 per visit at another place for one. It was 18 miles away.

Now, I pay $96.00 for 2 of them and this place is 5 miles away!!!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project