Hydrogen Peroxide

I know hydrogen peroxide is used by humans ans an antiseptic or mouth rinse or to whiten teeth. I brush my dogs teeth daily with the doggy toothpatse and was wonder if i put a lil peroxide on some gauze and get the hard to reach teeth in her mouth would that be safe? I know it is used to induce vomitting in dogs. I thought if i put a small amount on gauze ust to wipe a few teeth would be OK? What does everyone think? thanks. I wouldnt use it daily just couple times a year to get the hard to reach teeth. any doggie dentists out there?? lol

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

It would be okay to use it as long as you're just wiping the teeth and gums.

I asked my vet about doing that for Misty and he said that Biotene would be better. And yes, Biotene is very safe to use for dogs

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I'm certainly not a doggie dentist, but I am one of those people who used HP for many years as a mouthwash, until my horrified dentist told me to stop (daily use is hard on the enamel, I think). It is very effective to induce vomiting but only if the dog swallows it. So, if you are only using it sparingly, and on a gauze to rub teeth, I think it would be OK. Again, don't quote me, I am not a verterinary professional, but I would try it. Just :2c

GT-Sig-2-09.jpg

Visit My Website Visit My Etsy Store Visit My eBay Store Part of all proceeds benefit Greyhound adoption

I seem to recall a post from Dr. Stack, one of the great greyhound vets, on the greyhound list stating in order to induce vomiting, the whole "half the bottle down the throat" thing isn't necessary- just a spoonful around the gums. Doesn't even need to be swallowed.

My own experiences don't jibe with that, but there's a reason she's a DVM and I'm just a geologist. But peroxide around the gums might do it for some dogs.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

what is biotene? I never heard of that. can i buy that at a drugstore?

Biotene is a human mouthwash available at any drug store. One of the conferences my vet attended, they were talking about how it was being used for dogs with very good results. It's been a big help for Misty

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

I like this Biotene idea. What is the routine, for example, do you brush at one end of the day, and do this at the other? Do this after brushing, instead of brushing......?

What my vet suggested to me Mary, is to brush the teeth and then put the Biotene on some gauze and wipe the gums and teeth. With Misty, it needs to be done everyday and I do it after the last feeding. It has made a huge difference in the redness of her gums.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

I use HP cut with water and brush Asia's teeth on Saturdays with it. Once a week seems with HP helps. I would never do it this way everyday. I have never had a problem with her from it.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

Guest VanillaBean

I soak my dogs toothbrushes in hydrogen peroxide. When it is time to brush teeth, grab toothbrush, put doggie toothpaste on it and then brush. So, 5 dogs that have had no problems with a little HP.