Please Help Red Spot

I don't know what that is. I don't think it constitutes an emergency (as long as everything else seems OK with the dog) but it needs looking at (obviously) on Monday.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Does the skin itself look red or can you tell if it appears red underneath? Cougar has had some pretty odd bruises show up that were of substantial size over the years that ended up just being a bruise. From the picture it looks more like the actual skin is red, but it's kinda hard to tell. I'd keep a watch on it and if it gets significantly bigger in the next 24 hours, then I'd probably call the vet.

Guest KennelMom

Technically, a hot spot is an area of skin that has an infection. However, I'm using the term loosely to mean an area the dog is licking/seems to be bothering the dog (which can then turn into a "real" hot spot from the obsessive licking)

I'm not sure what it could be, but I don't think it would constitute an emergency. I'd keep an eye on it head to the vet if it seems to get worse. Sometimes they just rub against something or bump against something that causes a little red area but it resolves on its own.

Guest KiKi_Girl

KiKi has worn down a little sore like this (basically rug burn) when she was having anal sac issues and scooting her butt on the carpet...gross I know. I would just keep it clean and put a little antibiotic ointment on it.

my spouse just reminded me that we had the carpets cleaned and 2 of the rooms were scotchguarded. Could that cause a spot? If so, do they spread or could she get them under her belly too cause she is bald too? The red does seem to be on the skin itself. At night her butt is on a pillow with a pillow case. I use dye free soaps cause of people have dermatitis so I don't think it could be that could it? If it is from the carpet what should we do to help her?

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

The Neosporin probably just made it look redder because it sort of shined it up a bit.

Please don't overanalyze it. Have a glass of wine (if you partake) give her a cookie and look at it in the morning -- checking it every hour is just going to make you crazy. Unless something drastic happens I can't think of any reason why it can't wait until Monday if you still think you need to see the vet then. A lot of dog owies fix themselves.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

i dont have any witch hazel or apple stuff but i do have cortizone. i hate to even touch around the area to make it worse for her. I guess a warm washcloth and a lil cortizone couldnt hurt. hard to wash her whole butt unless i put her in the shower and i dont want to dry her skin out. Poor pooch, she looks so sad. :(

i know i am a worry wart...lol..ok I will wait till morning.. she prob is sad cause she can sense my worriness. poor dog has to inherit my traits..rofl. ty all for your help. She is a therapy dog and does hospice next week so i want to make sure it is safe for all.

Guest SoulsMom

Neosporin or Bag Balm should work. Soul had a horrible, awful, painful rash after being hospitalized in November. It looked worse the 2nd day, but after a day and a half of Bag Balm it improved vastly. It very well could be the chemicals from the carpet. I never did find out what caused Soul's rash

Soul003.jpg

Edited by SoulsMom

Definitely looks like a hot spot. I know a lot of people put neosporin and that type of treatment on it, but my vet likes the topcial spray. The ointment doesn't let it dry out.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Do you know what they cleaned the carpets with? Is it animal friendly?

I think if it was me, I would keep her off the carpet because it's probably still damp and would likely cause more irritation. You might also want to wipe her down with a wet cloth on the fur areas and wash her over the stomach and belly where she may have had contact with the solution. Also wash her paws.

Greyhounds are more sensitive to chemicals than other breeds so you might want to keep her in a room that doesn't have the carpets until you find out what they used.

It might be a good idea to call the cleaning company tomorrow and get the ingredients in the solutions they used. That way if it does get worse and you have to go to an E-vet they'll be able to prescribe something appropriate.

we had the carpets cleaned before with her but i think only difference is we scotchguarded in her room this time. It has been 2 weeks since they came so carpet is dry. we can't keep her off carpet cause our whole house has carpet. :( what is bag balm? where can i buy that?

oh and she is still upset with me cause she says that pic makes her butt look big..lol

that rash that soul had looked so nasty..glad he is better

Bag balm is kind of a vaseline-like consistency ointment. You can get it at any farm/feed store...farm & fleet, tractor supply, etc. It comes in a square cube shaped tin that's green. It fixes lots of things - little booboos, dry paw pads...we use it a lot at our house.

I wouldn't worry too much about the spot...my girl had something similar a week or so ago and she was licking it a little bit. I think she backed her buns up into the tree while she was playing with her brother :rolleyes:

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Buck says she has a very cute butt and Poodle agrees.

You can get bag balm at Wally World if you are not on a boycott mission. Tractor Supply, Walgreens, CVS etc. usually have it too but for a bit more. I don't know that I would run out and buy some for this, but that is just me.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Since Neosporin doesn't appear to have helped, ask your pharmacist if there's a spray (rather than ointment) you can use that does not include neomycin. I don't know if dogs can be allergic to neomycin the way people can, but the neomycin allergy rate for people is about 1-in-5. Google "neosporin allergic reaction" to see articles. A spray will have the advantage of letting the spot "breathe".

Until you're sure the carpet cleaning isn't at fault, you might just make sure she lies on an old blanket rather than the carpet.

And try Bitter Yuck if she's trying to lick: Bitter Apple is alcohol-based and might sting; Bitter Yuck is water-based.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)