New Greyhound Not Doing Well

Hi All,

Tony here. If you've been reading my previous forums my first greyhound experience is not going well. I'm a wreck. Please check out my previous forums.

Previous forums:

"Should I rturn my greyhound?"

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showto...p;#entry3858519

"New Greyhound owner questions"

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showto...p;#entry3859455

"Help, diarrhea everywhere!!"

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showto...p;#entry3859639

In short, I adopted a 4 year old male brindle from the track three days ago. The track rescue neglected to tell me to do a smooth transition between food, stupid me...I should have known that as well.

The track fed him Purina Hi-Pro and I switched him to Castor & Pollux (high quality) food. Hence, "Diarrhea Everywhere". I was told to fast him for 24 hrs and then give him a bland diet. So I did that. This morning when I gave him his first bland diet mean (boiled chicken & white rice - 2 cups), he only ate about a cup and that was it. He took a few laps of water this morning, but that was it as well. He hasn't drunk any water since yesterday early afternoon. I've been encouraging him to do so, but no luck. When we went for our walk this morning (before meal) he didn't pee at all and we were out for about 1/2 hour. He tried to poop, but just gas and a little poop liquid came out.

His mood is like he's still a little freaked out to be in a home. Loud noises scare him. All he wants to do is sleep on my bed. He doesn't follow me around all the time now like he did when I originally got him home. I've gotten him into playing with a squeaky toy this morning and that was fun, but again....he just mostly wants to be on my bed and sleep.

So what to do. I've become attached to this dog, but feel that maybe it's best to return him. I called the owner of the rescue and she doesn't know what's wrong with my grey. She said I could return him if I wanted to, no problem. I don't know what is up with this dog. I've really tried hard to make it an easy transition, besides the food of course.......duh. I had no idea the transition would be this difficult. Unfortunately I have to go back to work tomorrow. I have a walked scheduled to come over. Between me and her, someone will be here every two hours. Help. I'm at my wits end, but I remain calm as possible around my grey (no name yet). I know he's freaked out (I'm sure more than I), so he doesn't ned to me mor stressed by me being stressed.

Help.

-Tony

Image removed, not within the GreyTalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. The image removed was 29.08 KB (29,782 bytes) file size.

Pinch up some of the skin on the back of his neck (gently). Does it snap right back into place, or does it tent up and slooooooowly go back down? Snap back = OK, tent up = dehydrated.

If he'll let you, stick a finger in his mouth and feel his gums. Nice and wet, or kinda tacky? Wet = OK, tacky = dehydrated.

If it wouldn't freak you out, I'd tell you to check his temperature, too, but we can leave that part out for now. :lol

If he's noticeably dehydrated, ought to see vet.

Quick trick for getting a dog to drink is to offer water with a tabelspoon of honey or molasses mixed in, or half water and half apple juice, or half water and half broth/bouillon (low sodium is best but regular won't hurt at a half and half ratio).

Since he hasn't eaten for awhile now, diarrhea should be pretty much at an end. Might be some small squirts but shouldn't be much left in his guts to make him uncomfortable.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm at home today, Tony. I met you at GA a couple of weeks ago. You're welcome to give me a call - I'm an adoption support volunteer for Greyhound Friends. 508-259-3525

Naty, is there someone close enough to help Tony assess dehydration in person and maybe take a temp?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greytbookert

First, please take a deep breath. Transitions are not always smooth and can be hard on both human and pup. You've probably been told that greys are sensitive creatures and in many cases, they pick up on your stress and from your other posts you appear to be stressed. so a big hug to you!

Just to offer some support while your head is spinning with all the new things (the exciting and the not so exciting things) going on in his and your life. Big D can be brought on for many reasons and can take awhile to resolve. Some of the reasons can be change of food, new surroundings, parasites, etc. your new boy is experiencing a whole new world right now and it may be contributing to his big D issues.

Is there any way you can take him to the vet today? The vet may be able to give you some anti big D meds to help with his transition and also test for possible parasites?

Greyhounds do tend to sleep A LOT! I've got 4 snoozing hounds surrounding me right now. However, mine range in age from 10 - 14. We've dealt with numerous transitions with our gang and fosters and big D is almost a given with each of them.

It can take a while for their personalities to develop, meaning playing, bonding and interacting with you could take a few months.

I know I'm a bit all over the place but I need to run up to the vet with one of our gang for a bandage change but wanted to offer some support and a little bit of information before I head out the door!

I had a very hard time with my fresh off the track greyhound also. I didn't know about GT back then so you are already one up on me. She busted out of her crate, chased my cats, chewed up tons of stuff, peed all over inside, wouldn't pee in the snow, was terrified of my husband and seemed so unhappy. I made the call to return her but then decided to stick it out another week. Turns out she had a urinary tract infection, the snow melted and she slowly started to get the hang of being a pet. My point?? I had no idea it would be sooo hard. I made a lot of mistakes but somehow we made it through. Gracie has turned into a great dog and yours will too. Good luck.

It doesn't sound like there's anything wrong with him.

I've had fosters that have had big D with the food transition and Lucky didn't drink water for weeks after I got him.

I added water to his kibble and that's all the water that he drank until he wasn't scared of the water bowl and drank on his own.

Your grey might need more time to adjust but as long as he's not getting dehydrated, he's probably fine.

Do you have a yard?

It could be that he doesn't know to pee while on a leash

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Certainly a good idea to check for dehydration. Don't be freaked out by the all the sleeping. It's perfectly normal. Firstly, greys tend to sleep a lot, and the transition into a home can be very stressful and therefore exhausting. Everything is so completely different for him, and it can be very scary and upsetting. It's also completely normal for him to be scared of new noises. Our second grey Sagan was totally convinced that our living room ceiling fan was about to fall down and crash on his head :rolleyes: It was a couple of weeks before he stopped eyeing it with intense suspicion. He didn't do stairs for just under a month. It takes a lot of time.

The fact that he is already willing to play with stuffies is great news. After only two days? Wow! It took months before Merlin got to that point - and Sagan still follows me around everywhere. Of course, his lethargy could also be due to a medical issue, so I agree that it should be checked out.

Edited to add that Kari makes a good point, maybe he is used to relieving himself off-leash. Sagan would only pee in the yard initially as he was used to the turnout pen. Eventually he learned to pee and poop on walks too.

Edited by merlinsmum

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I know that you are trying real hard to make this work, but maybe you are expecting results too soon.

Your dog has probably not been in a home before and thus, it will take weeks for him to get accustomed to being in a house -- it doesn't happen overnight, it happens in small steps. He's probably scared and not sure what he is supposed to do or what you want from him. Please also be aware that Greys are not used to noises from traffic and the other civilization noises that we take for granted. To the greys - these noises are scary but, most greys will get used to them after a few weeks.

Did you also walk him after he ate? Some dogs go before they eat, some after, some at both times. My grey (and fosters) go out before they eat in the morning and usually pee at that time and then after they eat they go out to poop. I let mine out at 7am (twice), 11:30, 2:30 (if I have a foster), 4pm, 8pm (if I have a foster), and 10:30pm.

Most greyhounds sleep a lot. My advice, let him sleep if there is nothing else for him to do. For example, mine will sleep after they eat in the morning from 7:30am until about 11am. This works for me because I'm working from 7:30 to 11:30am and then I break from work for about 1.5 to 2 hours to let them out for a quick turnout, give them a snack of toast and peanut butter and then take them for a 45 minute walk.

Someone in an earlier thread suggested that you walk him - I think that is a great suggestion as this will help you in the bonding experience.

The first few days it is important to get into a routine with the dog so that he can learn what is expected, for example, when he will go out, when he will get to eat, and so on. With my fosters, I tend to ignore them otherwise (I'm not being cruel, just letting them come to me at at their own pace and then they get plenty of affection!). I do watch them like a hawk though to make sure that they are not getting into anything or going "potty" in the house.

I do hope that this works out for you and your greyhound. As many have already said, they hit rough patches in the beginning and hung in there and it turned out OK in the end. On the other hand, if you cannot handle these rough patches then maybe the best decision for all is to bring the greyhound back. I'm not saying this in any mean spirit, but maybe part of a bonding process is to go through rough times and to have faith (not meant to be religious) that there is "a light at the end of the tunnel". Or maybe it's simply to have a human characteristic/personality trait of "not willing to give up" in this type of situation. BUT as someone already mentioned, sometimes when a pet is lost and it was an especially close relationship then there may be nothing left to give to another pet.

Guest Winterwish

Really great and perfect advice given already and Tony I can't really add much to it.

It hasn't been a full day since beginning to treat the diarrhea with a bland diet. That he ate a cup of the food this morning is actually not bad at all considering he has an upset stomach,it may seem like very little,but it hadn't even been a full 24 hour fast actually.

He also did take a few laps of water this morning,so that's good too. It doesn't seem like a lot of water,but the amount may be just fine for now.

You know what? Many greyhounds take quite a while before they are playing in a home and away from the track and their kennelmates. I think that he has already played a little this morning is a really sweet and good sign!

I hope he's feeling better soon and you too.

Guest Jennifer4719
P2160003.jpg

I'm trying this for the first time, here is Rubber Band Man - no real name yet

P2160004.jpg

http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt54/aryon92/P2160005.jpg

more pics

Your pup looks quite content on your bed! I think he looks like a "Manny." When I first adopted Xena, she was very dispondant and kept to herself. It took almost 6 months for her to start really showing her personality. She really doesn't play with toys very much, and she sleeps most of her day and has just taken to cuddling on the couch with me over the last year(and I have had her for 4 years).

I would suggest putting him back on the food he was previously eating before. Take a deep breath and try to relax! We have all been where you are right now! I think I drove my adoption coordinator nuts for the first few months.

Guest Wpgkeith

What a weekend! I haven't read all of the posts, but you seem to be getting good advice here.

Some of my thoughts... What was his call name at the track? Dog... seems a bit cold - let's call him Ribbem for now. Ribbem is getting used to a whole new world.

To firm him up, maybe try some good old fashioned fibre - fruit our dogs love fruit - Brogan who is new to our home - 3 weeks on Friday - discovered strawberries this morning! And she gave :thumbs-up - way up! We add yogurt and pumpkin to both food dishes, at both morning and evening feedings - 2 cups at each.

People often think we are kidding about how much a GH sleeps... if you search "My GH sleeps - all the time" you will probably find at least 3 or 4 in the past year. They sleep.... lots. They are retired. :)

I (and DW) wish you well. The first weekend can be tough. Our Brogan (2nd dog, ever - Riley was my first) has been different and challenging and wonderful... all at the same time. So I feel the same affinity with her as Riley - no, no really, bu that is okay. This is her forever home and it will be fine.

Hopefully, Ribbem will settle with you and when you think back - you will chuckle at your stress this weekend.

:candle Hoping for an easier day today!

:thumbs-up

K

Guest dwolfe711

Awww - he's beautiful! Everything he is going through now is so foreign to him. His whole life has been uprooted and he is most likely confused and scared. He's used to having lots of other greys around and he's used to being in a crate most of the time and a very structured schedule. It's unfortunate that his tummy got so upset but that will clear up when he gets used to eating a new diet. We've only had two greys out of nine straight off the track as we adopt returned seniors - but the two we've had off the track did not totally acclimate to home life for months. Toby our first girl had terrible separation anxiety and it took a lot of time and work to get her over it - but for the next ten years she was the perfect sweetheart. Ripley came off the track at 4.5 and acclimated well except for getting into everything he could find and eating it!! But after a few months the lightbulb finally went on and he has been a perfect boy ever since - he's now 8.5 and has just in the past year finally become a big lovebug wanting to share the sofa and the bed! Things evolve with these pups - they usually pick up on home life pretty quickly but three days is not long enough for him to settle in. I'm sorry about the big "D" - that is never fun - but we went through that with Rip just two weeks ago for a few days. And some greys never learn to play and some are never overly affectionate - oh, yeh - and they do sleep a lot. I think it's a good sign that he wants to be on your bed!! I hope that you can work things out with your new boy - please let us know how it's going - and we will be waiting to hear his new name, too!!

Donna

Don't worry about the not pooping -- he's all cleaned out from the diarrhea, it would be odder if he DID poop right now. He'll go when food has worked its way through his system. (Did you really fast him for a day, btw? Seems like it hasn't been very long since your first post.)

I wouldn't worry about the not drinking too much, either. Greyhounds don't necessarily drink a ton -- I think I've read somewhere that they tend to drink less than other breeds. Add some liquid to his food. If you take him on a walk, he may well want to drink after that.

Greyhounds sleep ALL THE TIME (OK, 90%!) when nothing particular is going on. "Just mostly wants to be on my bed and sleep" sounds exactly like my girl, and she's less than three, healthy, and energetic. How it looks for hours on end in my house: http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showto...27s+busy+sunday

He really sounds like he's behaving in a perfectly normal/expectable way for a brand-new dog.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Can I ask what you're expecting as a dog companion? I'm only asking because you seem worried that he only wants to lay on your bed and sleep...and well, a lot of greyhounds are like that normally. They can be very happy with a walk or two a day and then just chilling the rest of the day, so that may actually be his personality...or he may still be feeling a bit under the weather.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest trevdog

What a sweet looking boy he is.....I'd see about getting some of the food he was being fed before and mix it with what you plan to feed. Do most of his former food with just a little of the new stuff, gradually increasing it to more new than old. Your new boy is picking up on your stress as well, so calm down. Most of us have been in this situation before. Also routine is important, greys are very routine oriented. After the big "D" clears up, he won't need to go out so much to potty. Make a schedule and stick to it, he'll learn it quickly. Too many trips outside will confuse him as to where and when he is supposed to go. I'd say it's good he's playing with toys already.

It's going to take time and patience, just remember, this is all totally new to him, imagine what it would be like if you were just dropped in a foreign country and couldn't speak the language and had no $$ or anything to get around on.....that's what he's feeling like.

Edited by trevdog

Hi All,

I checked him and he's not dehydrated. The skin pinch thing worked positively, it was a quick snap back of the skin. His mouth is moist. The small mount of honey worked in the water. Actually I let him lick a small amount off a spoon and dropped it in the dish and he lapped away. I'll try to feed him again tonight and see what happens. I'm still not sold on him though to be completely honest. I just don't know if I can handle this kind of stuff right now. I'm still very unsure about him. My last dog (not to compare) was a mutt and he adjusted way more quickly.

Actually now that I know how to post pics, here is my dog Echo that died nine months ago. He was my heart and soul.

EchoChair.jpg

Image removed, not within the GreyTalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. The image removed was 29.08 KB (29,782 bytes) file size.

Guest oldNELLIE

I don't have a whole lot to add, but I can share some of my experience with Nellie - it does sound a bit like yours (in terms of being a tough transition).

When we brought Nell home, she cried. ALL the time. She cried and cried and cried. Unless we were feeding her. She quickly gained 20lbs. She had such bad stress colitis (sp?) that she had to be hospitalized because her bloody diarrhea made her so anaemic (sp?).

I cried. Was certain that she was unhappy, that our home wasn't right for her, that she would never love us. And then something clicked. It was maybe 3 weeks into it. It seemed like she could stand us, and there were glimmers of hope that we would be able to stand her. It was still far from smooth sailing, but I started to breath, and we were able to come home without dread.

It has been a little over a year since we got Nellie and it is a whole different story now! She is amazing. So chill, so affectionate, and we are all so happy! I still remember the walk we took when I realized she was happy. It was in June, and the sun was out and she was trotting along and looking back at us. It hit me then, and that was 7 months into having her.

I don't know if any of that is helpful for you! I just wanted to let you know you are not alone in this transition, and it seems like everyone here on this board has had a similar experience. I know it doesn't make it any easier for you personally...but it is nice to know you are not the first to feel overwhelmed!

Guest ChasesMum

What a sweet looking boy! (He needs a name lol)

You arent alone in rough transitions as you can tell. He ate some - good! He drank some - good! He is on your bed - fine! He played some - AWESOME!

George wouldnt play with us for a LONG time and even after he had been with us a year he wasnt much for playing "with" unless it was a soccerball. Then he would chase it if you kicked it.

Take it easy, love him, enjoy these first baby steps if you can, and know you are doing all the right things. If everything is going "ok" there is no reason to return him IMHO. re-evaluate after a week, 2 weeks, a month, 2 months, you'll probably see things improving. It takes about a year I have found for their full true personality to be shining through. They can stay reserved for a LONG time.

If you haven't read it, "Retired racing Greyhounds for Dummies" is a decent read, gave me some tips and things initially.