The Losses Rise

rycezmom

I seem to have to jump back to this a lot more lately just for my own sadness. It eases my heart sometimes when the losses seem greater. I hope it helps. With your indulgence, I repost

I have tried to rationalize this in my own mind and it occurred to me that as time goes on, more and more people are joining GT. All of us are well within our comfort zone here and know that we will get wonderful support here when we lose one of our hounds. Support that is frequently withheld at work or among friends who are not hound or dog lovers. We are after all, here for the benefit of our hounds and their well being. GT is a very large extended family and we have taken each other and each others hounds into our hearts and know them so well that we have incorporated them into our everyday lives. Therefore, more people we know will post of their loss of hounds we have grown to love. I also realized that we, as a group, are caring for a larger and larger number of hounds who are living well into their old age. What wonderful care they are getting from their collective GT family to live this well and long. I like to think that maybe we are seeing more losses because the number of adopted hounds has increased. Because our communication has increased. Not only have we increased our knowledge and communication through this board but have expanded our friendships to worldwide. We share with a global greyhound community instead of our small local communities. This open global communication may just make it seem that there is more. It makes my heart swell with gladness that the number of hounds in forever homes today continues to increase. And with that increase we will always see an increase in loss. I will relish the numbers for I know that every hound we mourn here on Greytalk had a loving home, a comfortable couch and a family that loved him or her. What more could we ask for our hounds.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Very well put.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I had the very same thoughts and it is so disheartening to see so many losses. I think of the heartbreak for each family. I see the sweet faces of the animals in the photos and my heart hurts. They feel like they are members of our family. But when I look at those photos and read the beautiful and moving tributes, I also realize how much love and tenderness has been given to so many wonderful hounds and creatures. No matter how long they have been in their forever homes or in foster care, there is absolute love and tenderness showered on them. Something to bring comfort to everyone's heart.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Well said...I so relate to the heartbreak...greys I've never met, but still saddened by the loss. It is heartwarming to know that so many are loved and well cared for.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

The other night, Patti/Kygreys & I were talking on the phone...both just exhausted from all the heart ache over the weekend.

We get so attached to each other's hounds, and the sweet non-hounds & its so heart breaking when one of them crosses the bridge.

Its so good to know there are others here on Greytalk, that understand our pain.

Thanks to Jeff & Trudy for providing us a place to go...to love, support & share our houndies.

:beatheart

Guest PhillyPups

Very well said. I also feel as we are on here longer, we get deeper attachments to each other's hounds as we share their stories, and the losses become so very personal for hounds that we meet here, we share the journeys.

:bighug to all

And remember to HUG YOUR HOUNDS :bighug

Guest KennelMom

I have several condolensces posts to make. It's so hard for me to go to that forum. I will, but I've been avoiding it because it's so hard sometimes. The loss seems to come in waves here on GT. I don't know why, but when we lose one on the board, it seems we lose a cluster of them. My heart breaks for everyone who is dealing with loss and those who are remembering losses from months or years past.

I have several condolensces posts to make. It's so hard for me to go to that forum. I will, but I've been avoiding it because it's so hard sometimes. The loss seems to come in waves here on GT. I don't know why, but when we lose one on the board, it seems we lose a cluster of them. My heart breaks for everyone who is dealing with loss and those who are remembering losses from months or years past.

This is so true, Heather.

I cry every time I go into remembrance. I usually start reading & have to stop & go back later to finish. :cry1

And tho our words can't make their pain go away, I do think it makes people feel good knowing others take the time to let them know we care, I know I did.

Edited by nyGreys

Guest IrskasMom

This Words were spoken right out of my Heart. I don't think ,I have ever cried as much as this past Month. There was

Ranger, Stepper , Ember,Dowland , Elwood,Switzler Festus,Renie , Mr. G . This are just a few who came to mind but

numerous other Ones never forgotten. My Son gets very upset with me , seeing me sitting here and crying. I know ,they

were Loved and had good Lifes. They were , because we got to know them well , OUR Dogs and I loved them all.

You sweet Angels , RIP and have fun playing over the Bridge.

I have cried my heart out for the people and hounds I have never met on this site.....

felt their pain in the words and tributes written.

Peace be with you.

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Guest mbarson

Rudyard Kipling had it right. My father used to know this poem off by heart and would often recite it for us kids. In the past five years we (my wife and I) have lost four of our dogs, two Greyts and two Borzoi. I shed many tears for all of them and we now can talk about them all knowing that our hearts were torn every time. We notice also that the remaining dogs have their own way of grieving. Just read this poem and I know you will understand how loving a dog, and who doesn't, will tear out your hearts when they cross that Rainbow Bridge.

"The Power of the Dog"

"GARM -- A HOSTAGE" -- ACTIONS AND REACTIONS

There is sorrow enough in the natural way

From men and women to fill our day;

And when we are certain of sorrow in store,

Why do we always arrange for more?

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware

Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.

Buy a pup and your money will buy

Love unflinching that cannot lie --

Perfect passion and worship fed

By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.

Nevertheless it is hardly fair

To risk your heart for a dog to tear.

When the fourteen years which Nature permits

Are closing in asthma, or tumour, or fits,

And the vet's unspoken prescription runs

To lethal chambers or loaded guns,

Then you will find -- it's your own affair --

But . . . you've given your heart to a dog to tear.

When the body that lived at your single will,

With its whimper of welcome, is stilled (how still!)

When the spirit hat answered your every mood

Is gone -- wherever it goes -- for good,

You will discover how much you care,

And will give your heart to a dog to tear.

We've sorrow enough in the natural way,

When it comes to burying Christian clay.

Our loves are not given, but only lent,

At compound interest of cent per cent.

Though it is not always the case, I believe,

That the longer we've kept'em, the more do we grieve;

For, when debts are payable, right or wrong,

A short-time loan is as bad as a long --

So why in -- Heaven (before we are there)

Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?