Just Got My Rescue Greyhound

Guest Blaze

Welcome home Blaze!! He is beautiful!

And welcome to GT :welcome2:D

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Congrats on your new greyhound.

Greyhound Gang has lots of free, good information for new and prospective adopters.

Free Greyhound Guide for new and prospective adopters here.

Much Medical and Behavioral Info here.

Booklets with info here.

Wishing you lots of love and joy with your new hound.

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!

Guest greytkidsmom

What a beautiful boy!

He and Kebo share the same grandfather - Fortress.

Your vet should be able to point you in the right direction - it never hurts to start a relationship with one now in case you have an emergency in the future.

His last race, according to tracklink, was 5-14-2008. Oftentimes Greyhound Data is not accurate with races. My Lucius is missing a year's worth of races on greyhound data. Go there, click on dog/raceline viewer and type his name in. His races are all there, unless he was at a track that does not report it.

Congrats on your new pup! :confetti

Not really trying to hijack.... but does anyone know how to read the chart from this site? I typed in Rainy's name and it looks like greyhound data is also missing a years worth of races for her. But are those her actual races that came up? Her name is listed in any of the last 3 columns

------

Jessica

Guest bigbrindlebunny
Hi! And welcome to GT!! Your Blaze's great great grandfather (Rooster Cogburn) was my Cody's grandfather!

Have fun on your learning-all-about-greyhounds journey!!

Rooster Cogburn was also great great grandfather to my boy, Pete (racing name Ladell)

What can I say? Apparently Rooster was aptly named!

Good luck with Blaze. Hope you just go ahead and take him to the vet for a complete check up, and then you can get the right de-wormer, if one is needed.

Edited by JumpingGeorge

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

When you take him to the vet, let them fuss over him, give him some treats, etc. It will help him have positive associations with the vet's office, which will make him more comfortable later when he has to have actual procedures.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

wow you guys are terrific -

his paper work has everything (teeth, castration, even had to sew up a wound probably from a fight) but seems ambigious about the worming. It is a new source for our local group so they are a bit unsure, this is the first group of dogs from him. So we will take him in - we found a dr experienced with the breed.

on a side note, did you have to teach your grey to get up on the couch?

thank you all for the replys and the links! I loved reading the link on his career - and all the infor from greyhoundgang -

thank you so much!

:lol No...mine are opportunistic. My first grey took months until he would but my 2nd and 3rd and my Galgo all came in and got right up on it within 2 days. :rolleyes: Then they learned my papasan chair...and the bed only when df (dear fiance') is not in it....they learned I am ok with it but not him...

Don't let the vet talk you into any booster shots. One of our adopters took her greyhounds in to establish him. The vet gave him a Bordetella (up the nose). The poor greyhound got drop jaw from it. He had his jaw help up by a nylon socking for a month.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest greytgrandma

Hot Rod doesnt get on the furniture when he is here.But at home he is a couch and bed sneeker. He only gets up on the furniture at home when hes alone. So he is locked out of the bedrooms when Josh is at work but still has access to the hall ,kitchen/dining room,living room.So he gets up on the couch when Josh is at work, eveidence in the hair on the couch :lol

Edited by greytgrandma

Guest ArtysPeople

Arty has never tried, and we've never taught him! :lol Some people feel very strongly about this, and my boyfriend is one of them. :lol

ETA: He's not allowed on the couch, but he has a bed as big as the couch on the floor right next to it, and I'm often on the floor with him, so I really don't know what the difference is sometimes. :lol

Edited by ArtysPeople

Congratulations on your new family member. Welcome also to Greytalk. (You'll probably come to realize that this site addictive)

2013-Beach-2.jpg

Mimi- mom to Burdette (KB's Burdette), Sophie (LL's Stupid Is) and bridge babies Kelsey (Kelso's Logo), Sterling (Cold B Tiger), Fritz, Tasha, Chloe and Molly

...Here is Blaze's data page which lists his last race as August 7, 2007.

He raced until at least May -08 at Phoenix (according to TrackLink).

Always a good idea to worm - can't hurt. Drontal Plus is a good one - dose him 21 days apart. But yeah, always get a vet check when you adopt any animal. If nothing else, you'll get a good baseline for his health.

I wouldn't rush him up onto the couch. Let him get settled in first and get to know you and you him. We normally tell our adopters no furniture privileges for at least 6 months. That's just a general guideline, though.

Congrats on your adoption :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest SoulsMom

I agree about the shots, I'd try to find out exactly what he's "had done" already before doing anything else (with the exception of dewormer)

Soul didn't get up onto the couch until a few months after he'd been home. Then one day he was like "hey, that looks comfy!" And up he went :rolleyes:

Nearest I can figure, Sam was born knowing how to get on the furniture...couch and bed.

Jacey-Kasey needed lessons. The first night she was home, we all slept downstairs (spiral stairs, and she was too scared of them). I was on one end of the couch, Jacey was on the other end, and Sam was in the middle. I had boosted her onto the couch in the first place and steadied her while she got settled.

Later in the night, she started to slip off and climbed down and whined. Sam immediately stretched into her spot. I prepared to sleep on the dog bed in front of the couch with Jacey and leave Sam the whole couch. I put my pillow and blanket on the dog bed, turned around to get Jacey...

...and found her curled up on the couch in the spot I'd abandoned. When I took her collar to encourage her to get down and join me, she pulled back and clung to the couch cushions.

So Jacey's first night at my place was spent on my couch with Sam...and I slept on the dog bed.

Spoiled? Not much.

Kathy

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

That's a funny story, Kathy! I love that. Still having hard time getting him to settle on the couch. But he has taken to the bed well. I think the couch might be too small for him - too narrow. Oh well, at least he's close at night with us.

he's such a good boy.

That's a funny story, Kathy! I love that. Still having hard time getting him to settle on the couch. But he has taken to the bed well. I think the couch might be too small for him - too narrow. Oh well, at least he's close at night with us.

he's such a good boy.

When I got Jacey, she was very muscle-bound--not limber or flexible at all. She had run a so-so first season (some promising fourth-place finishes), and I think they overworked her during the off-season. She came back after the track's winter break, ran an awful seventh-place finish, and was immediately retired. When I got her, she had trouble flexing her legs well for getting on and off the furniture, going down the stairs (up was okay, but her back legs didn't flex well for going down and she sort of bunny-hopped with her back legs, both feet hitting the step at the same time). After a few months of couch-potatoing at my house, she became much more limber, and narrow sleeping spaces were fine. (Both my dogs like to curl up in smallish, nest-like dog beds.) Jacey now often sleeps with her back feet hugged up under her chin, and she'll curl up tightly if it's at all cold.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

• 6 years later...
Guest Blaze

We are very sad to say that we lost Blaze from a seizure 3 weeks ago. Our hearts are heavy and we sure do miss him a lot.

Greg and Karen Boss