Thane Cut His Foot

Thane was just outside running zoomies. When he came in his foot was bleeding.

Front foot, underside, just inward from where the black part of the pad ends.

I can't see what would need a stitch but then my back is out so I can't get close.

The bleeding has slowed down and we've put a muzzle on him to keep him from licking.

I was going to let him rest a few minutes and then do an epsom salt soak.

I have one of those Pawz booties and have placed guaze on the boo boo.

Shoot. Too bloody . Off to the vet.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Been there! Manero needed surgery a few years ago when he cut his foot - he had actually severed an artery! I doubt you boy's is that bad, though!

Best of luck!

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Sending good thoughts...

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest monasmom

Poor Thane! Is there ice or slushy snow in your yard? Mona's paws bleed every time she tries to do zoomies in the snow (unless it's really fresh snow). It looks a lot worse than it is. The first couple times I saw all this blood running down her legs and freaked! I soaked her feet and rubbed lotion into her pads (and she acted like this was exactly what she needed! :lol ) But then I figured out it doesn't really bother her much, and the bleeding stops quickly. I never saw any visible damage to the paws or pads. Here's hoping it's something like that! :goodluck

Back from the vet.

Thane gashed the very center of his foot between the pads. Whatever he hit really shredded that soft tissue and cut his artery.

He is now sporting 6 stitches, a pressure wrap bandage and his muzzle w/ cup to keep him from messing with it.

He was given a Baytril and injection and Rimadyl injection and was sent home with Cephalexin. We can also give him the Tramadol we already had on hand.

My poor little man is so exhausted.

While I was at the vet DH cleaned up the blood with hydrogen peroxide. Miss Pudge le Mutt followed behind him licking the carpet. I think she likes the hydrogen peroxide making her tongue fizzy. :rolleyes:

I really need to add Thane to my siggie picture soon. :french

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Aww poor Thane. Jake did that almost exactly one year ago on some ice. Luckily just a cut, but it took ages to heal. That was when I found out about Pawz disposable boots. The guy on the website I posted about sent me a free gift because so many GTers ordered them, he sold out.

Praying for an uneventful healing for Thane. Buddy, just leave it along and let it heal.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

DANG, something cut him good. Poor guy, I hope he feels better Ducky. Yes, I would say it's time to add that boy to your siggy!!!!!

Please give him a hug from one of his biggest fans

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Thane was not so happy about being leash-walked around the yard this morning.

Of course the baggy I put over his bandage fell off. I wiped the dirt off the dressing once we were back inside and I noticed some blood. I hope it was just from him putting weight on the foot. DH will be home with him today and will keep an eye out for more blood.

tiny hada siggy.png

Zoomies or squirrels really are a pain! Garry cut his foot Sunday..in many spots. the worst on the upper part of his right hind..since he isn't a licker, we are medicating and washing him and watching him!

The first nice day in a long time.....leads to a vet visit!

Hope Thane heals nicely.. when i put a baggy, i put a sock over the bag, secured with tape. I have found the bag rips while walking or falls off.

Sending positive thoughts!

Thane

Maddie Here. Mommy is typing for me. I know the feeling about getting stitches it is KNOT fun. Be good and you can get lots of treats out of it.

Amy note here: Maddie had a baby sock on her paw to stop her from licking her vet wrap and stitches. It did not stop her. She licked her stitches out early by 3 days back to the vet we went - they stated that it healed fine and not to worry. From then on I was calling Maddie Dr Maddie and I guess she knew what she was doing. :huh

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

I called DH from work and he said Thanb's foot looked fine. However I just got home at noon and leashed walked him in the backyard. There was a lot of blood on the sock that I'd just covered his bandage with.

The E-vet was not the usual one and I don't trust him. Even when he was done stitching there was blood seeping from the artery.

I'm taking him to regular vet this afternoon as soon as he opens.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Spencers_Greyt

I was going to say that I had to take Spencer in yesterday for the same thing. He cut his foot last Friday falling out of the car and I thought I could manage it but it wasn't getting better so yesterday I took Spencer in and he got a couple of stitches in his foot and he had also cut his hiney which they stitched as well. Ugh! I hope Thane is okay - the hardest part is to keep them from licking the stitches!

Back from the vet.

Thane gashed the very center of his foot between the pads. Whatever he hit really shredded that soft tissue and cut his artery.

He is now sporting 6 stitches, a pressure wrap bandage and his muzzle w/ cup to keep him from messing with it.

He was given a Baytril and injection and Rimadyl injection and was sent home with Cephalexin. We can also give him the Tramadol we already had on hand.

My poor little man is so exhausted.

While I was at the vet DH cleaned up the blood with hydrogen peroxide. Miss Pudge le Mutt followed behind him licking the carpet. I think she likes the hydrogen peroxide making her tongue fizzy. :rolleyes:

I really need to add Thane to my siggie picture soon. :french

Poor guy? Did the vet have to anesthesize him? Mine had to with Spencer when stitching up his foot.

I was going to say that I had to take Spencer in yesterday for the same thing. He cut his foot last Friday falling out of the car and I thought I could manage it but it wasn't getting better so yesterday I took Spencer in and he got a couple of stitches in his foot and he had also cut his hiney which they stitched as well. Ugh! I hope Thane is okay - the hardest part is to keep them from licking the stitches!

So far he hasn't been able to lick because I've got his muzzle w/ stool cup on. Thane's gash is deep in between the toes underneath where they all join. Where is Spencer's foot cut?

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Spencers_Greyt

So far he hasn't been able to lick because I've got his muzzle w/ stool cup on. Thane's gash is deep in between the toes underneath where they all join. Where is Spencer's foot cut?

It's hard to explain where it's cut - it's his back left foot (his weak leg to begin with) and you have to look at his foot from underneath. The cut goes from the top of his pinky toenail all the way around the pad of the pinky toe. No artery was cut thank goodness. I really don't want to muzzle Spencer if I can help it as he hasn't worn one in 5 years. I have a Therapaw bootie that I'll put on him during the night and during the day when I can't watch him. I might put a baby sock on him too but it will get wet if he goes outside. Anyway, I'm sorry about Thane! That cut sounds major!

Guest Winterwish

Poor Thane I hope he starts to feel better soon. Wow that's scarey that he cut an artery! Thank God you were home. Sending best wishes his healing goes smoothly Ducky. :hope:getwell

Edited by Winterwish

Guest bigbrindlebunny
Aww poor Thane. Jake did that almost exactly one year ago on some ice. Luckily just a cut, but it took ages to heal. That was when I found out about Pawz disposable boots. The guy on the website I posted about sent me a free gift because so many GTers ordered them, he sold out.

Praying for an uneventful healing for Thane. Buddy, just leave it along and let it heal.

Not to hijack a thread...but my boy has been dealing with a paw injury, and then the scar tissue, for about 6 months. I'm tuned into Thera-Paws, and they are awesome, but I had never heard of Pawz disposable boots. So I just checked them out and I'm tempted to order. I've got a couple of questions first:

1. What size should I get? The site says Greyhounds are a Medium, is that true?

2. How many times can you reuse them (generally speaking)?

Thanks for any help/information!