I Try So Hard....

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Guest Spencers_Greyt

You know I try so hard to be super careful of Spencer's back and I watch him like a hawk to make sure he's doing okay and then I blow it all in just a few hours this morning.

Spencer along with Emmy, go to doggie day care every other Friday. He absolutely loves going and it's such a huge treat for him. He's put in their "couch potato" room with other older quieter dogs and he gets his very own couch and tons of human attention. He couldn't be happier! So Spencer tends to pee and poop in the car as he thinks he's going to the vet so I put a belly band on him this morning just before loading him up in the car. He lets out this loud yelp when I velcored it across his hips and then fell down. So I pick him back up check him out and he seems fine so off to the car we go. I have a ramp for him which he never has problems with. Well today was the day. He kept falling off the side of the ramp as I'm trying to help him. I finally get him loaded up in the car and his foot is bleeding from a scrape. We get to doggie day care and he didn't wait for me to help him down the ramp and he basically fell out of the car. It was horrible! He couldn't get up so I was trying to help him (of course) and finally got him on his feet. There was a guy next to me getting his dog out of his car and he just walked on by - no help or anything. Jerk! Anyway, so Spencer is now at doggie day care where he has his fan club. He's scraped up on his feet and butt but they're taking care of him. I just didn't have the heart to take him back home as he loves it so much there. Of course they'll call if anything is wrong. His back seems okay but I think he probably has been set back by the falls. Time for another acupunture treatment to get everything fixed as much as they'll ever be fixed. I can't ever seem to get ahead of Spencer's hindquarter weakness problem and if there is ever a tiny move forward there is always something that happens to set him back.

Thanks for letting me vent as I sit here crying and feeling sorry for myself.

Edited by Spencers_Greyt

Guest jerrybird

Well it's good that you have confidence in your doggie day-care provider. I'm sure that they'll call you if there is a real concern. Hopefully Spencer will relax for the day!

Poor bug. Sending hugs for you and him both.

If he wears a harness, might be able to tether him in the car so he can't try to get out until you're there to help him.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:grouphug I know just how you feel. My old boy has some weakening in his hindquarters & the same types of things happen to us. He's jumped out of the cr-v instead of waiting & using the stairs. He'll try to pee or poop on an uneven surface & almost fall over. He'll rush going up the stairs & have a problem mid-flight. And he hates to be helped- forget about lifting or carrying him. He is my stubborn old goat. :rolleyes:

I give him as much TLC & extra :cookie as I can, bringing him to his favorite places to keep his muscle tone up. And acupuncture has been working well for us too. Hopefully Spencer will have forgotten all about this morning when you pick him up later. :)

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Sorry for your trauma, hon. (What about one of those depo shots, would that help at this point?)

Hang in there, and don't beat yourself up!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I am sorry Spencer had a bad time of it today (and poor you!). I'm not sure how long you have been doing acupuncture, but it took a good 2-3 months before Sugar showed long term improvement. I also asked my vet to give her an Adequan shot. The first time, it was like a miracle! She ran (a little), she went for (short) walks! It started to wear off after about a month, and the second shot wasn't as helpful (it *did* help some), but by that time the acupuncture was really helping. You might ask your vet about Adequan.

I'm so sorry for you and Spencer. Last Sunday Alan fell going up the front steps not once, but twice the second time cutting his legs up and if I wasn't right there he would have fell over flat onto the ground. Even being right there, these things happen. Hoping you and Spencer are feeling better soon. I try so hard too and I'm sure you do!

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Thanks for the words of encouragement. It really helps! I decided to pick up Spencer and Emmy from doggie day care at noon to see how Spencer was doing. He has a nasty cut on his hiney and one between his toes and they won't stop seeping. I put some EMT gel on them and hope that will do the trick. Those cuts are in areas where I can't really bandage. Spencer doesn't seem to notice his cuts though so that's good. He seems okay walking and no more yelping. I did make him an acupuncture appt. for early next week just to be sure. There's nothing going on this weekend so he will have a nice restful one.

Again thanks everyone. I just lose it sometimes when it comes to my worrying about Spencer. Emmy, my 8 y/o Airedale mixed breed girl, is a picture of health - never a thing wrong with her. Thank goodness!

Oh Spencer sweetie...you have to be careful honey! Sending prayers that tomorrow is a much better day for both of you. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Update: So I tried to bandage and care for Spencer's cuts on his foot and hiney but they weren't healing so took him into the vet on Monday and he got stitches in his back left foot and hiney. He's now super shakey on his back legs and collapses a lot on the tile. I just feel so bad for him! I'm thinking we're back to square one with his hindquarter weakness problem. I need to wait until he gets the stitches out of his foot to see for sure. I also need to wait til they're out for his next acupuncture appt. since he can't stand for very long. Poor poor Spencer, one step forward 5 steps back.....

Guest Spencers_Greyt
Can you put some of those cheap, washable through rugs (runners) on the tile to help him with traction for now?

Good idea! Right now I have bath mats in strategic positions since they have rubber backing they don't slide. I have several that I use at meet 'n greets. Spencer is a Greyhound that doesn't sit and now I see him doing all too often which saddens me because he doesn't have the strength to lift himself up.

Dusty is also having back end issues so I feel for you. Are you sure he needs to be standing for acupuncture? Dusty had a few sessions a year or so ago and he was lying down for them. (They didn't seem to help him so maybe you DO need to be standing? :blink: ) Just a thought. Thinking of you and Spencer.

Guest Spencers_Greyt
Dusty is also having back end issues so I feel for you. Are you sure he needs to be standing for acupuncture? Dusty had a few sessions a year or so ago and he was lying down for them. (They didn't seem to help him so maybe you DO need to be standing? :blink: ) Just a thought. Thinking of you and Spencer.

Thank you - Spencer won't lie down when he gets acupuncture so hence the problem. I can't force him to lie down and especially now!

I don't know how I missed this. Poor guy!!

As for the acupuncture, they do not need to be standing. Tanner had acupuncture for some time and he was one that would never lay down anywhere but home. I remember the vet saying that he would probably be more comfortable if he would lay down. Well, that wasn't going to happen.

Feel better handsome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless