Nadia Has A Bone Tumor

Nadia, my 10.5 YO retired racer/retired broodie, has been diagnosed with a bone tumor in her left rear leg, probably osteosarcoma. She goes in for amputation on Monday, and after the bone biopsy confirms OS, we'll get the chemo drugs from the OSU and start chemo.

post-15672-1233798676_thumb.jpg

I know it will be tough, but I've got to give this old gal a chance. She's really enjoying being in my home and I'd like her to be here a while!

post-15672-1233798702_thumb.jpg

Wish us well...

Lin, with Nick the Greyhound
Missing my girls Nadia, Tallulah, Cinderella, and my heart-dog Alexa, and my precious boys Twister, Loki, and Kevin

Lin! I am so sorry, I will keep you in my thoughts. Hope to see you both soon.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

We are here for you. Polli is 10 and is just about 4 months post amp and she finished her chemo Jan.5.

The first 3 weeks are horrible. There is no way around it. All I can say is that it WILL get better. I thought my big mouth was gone forever. I thought that not only did she lose a leg, her whole demeanor was never going to be the same. HA! Polli came back full force and now she doesn't even know she doesn't have 4 legs. I don't see it as her being without a leg, I see it as her being without cancer.

Plan on getting little to no sleep for the first 10 days. Plan ahead the best you can. Ask your vet to make sure she wears a compresion sweater after the amp. When they wear that, they don't have much if any briusing. Even if she doesn't appear to be in pain, keep her well medicated. By the time she NEEDS meds, you won't be able to catch up with it so it's always better to stay on top of it and give it to her whether or not YOU think she needs it. She will need it for the first 10 days. And the more she starts doing, the more uncomfortable she is going to be.

There are many of us, (Unfortunatley) who have been through it and many of us who went through it recently. Please, feel free to PM me, email me, call me for anything. PM me and I will give you all my info.

Robin

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Oh, I'm so sorry that your beautiful Nadia has gotten this terrible diagnosis. You are moving forward, though, and that is important. If you know what you want to do, follow your heart, and be assured that you are making the right decision for Nadia and for you. Like Robin said, there are too many of us who know how you are feeling, and what you will go through on this journey. There will be many ups and downs. Stay strong for your girl---she will be strong for you. Please come here to talk, vent, ask for info, laugh or cry.

You are both in our prayers.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Plan on getting little to no sleep for the first 10 days. Plan ahead the best you can. Ask your vet to make sure she wears a compresion sweater after the amp. When they wear that, they don't have much if any briusing. Even if she doesn't appear to be in pain, keep her well medicated. By the time she NEEDS meds, you won't be able to catch up with it so it's always better to stay on top of it and give it to her whether or not YOU think she needs it. She will need it for the first 10 days. And the more she starts doing, the more uncomfortable she is going to be.

Robin

Thanks, Robin, for the first-hand advice. I don't know that my vet will have a compression sweater, I sent them an email to ask. Is it something I could get somewhere?

A week after amputation I have a friend coming down to help me pack my house (I'm trying to get moved to a more affordable location) - so I won't be alone with her and plan on being here most of the time. I hope she doesn't mind that we're doing rehab on my GreyGirl!

Thanks to everyone else for the good wishes etc. - and Beth, I hope to run into you again soon!

Lin, with Nick the Greyhound
Missing my girls Nadia, Tallulah, Cinderella, and my heart-dog Alexa, and my precious boys Twister, Loki, and Kevin

Oh no... not another. :weep Sounds like you're giving your precious girl every chance to survive this monster. Sending my well wishes and prayers. :hope:grouphug

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I am so sorry to see this diagnosis. Many good wishes from everyone here for her surgery and fast healing. There is so much good advice available from those who have been through this. Hugs to you and Nadia.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy