Pancreatitis

Hi all,

I just found out that an old foster, who was adopted by good friend's of mine was daignosed with pancreatitis and is being held overnight at her vet's for "IV and rest". I don't have any other information except that this dog is older (around 8 years old I think) and has always been healthy. I know pancreatitis can have a sudden onset, and I'm somewhat familiar with it, what I mostly want to know is if there is anything in particular I should tell them to ask their vet to do to help her get through this initial part? Is this something that dogs don't usually make it through if it strikes suddenly like this?

I'm going to do my due diligence researching on the internet, but I'm a bit anxious and you guys always have hte info. Someone please tell me she's going to be fine. :hope

ETA: I sent an email back and am going to call them - if their vet doesn't do overnight monitoring, do you recommend they move her? Will she even be in any shape to move? We have both evets and specialty hospitals w/in an hour's drive of them although I don't kinow if they can afford it. I woul dthink if it were my dog though that I would want to move her???

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

My first boy Bud had it and had it bad. Came on all of a sudden and I can still remember the vet telling me I had a very sick boy. He had to stay in the hospital for several days and the vet told me that allowing him to come home too early would be too much stress.

He stayed on fluids and when he was finally able to come home, I had to keep him on baby food for a week and then a prescription diet.

As for staying overnight alone, that would bother me.

Keeping her in my prayers

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

My girl, Chick had a serious case of pancreatitis when she was right around 8 years old. She was at the vets for 4 days on IV fluids and antibiotics. Initially she was at the office of a vet covering for my regular vet (who was away) and they had me move her to a 24 hour emergency clinic so that someone would be there around the clock to monitor her. So I would say yes - this dog should be monitored.

Chick was fine after her stay in the hospital. I continue to monitor her diet and treats for low fat content and she has not had another recurrence. It's been a couple of years now.

Good luck!

Pat

Treatment for pancreatitis is IV fluids and crate rest, usually for 3-4 days. Absolutely nothing by mouth - no food, no water.

We (clinic at which I used to work) have kept dogs overnight, but no one is there and no fluids are done overnight since no one is there to monitor. Personally, if it were my dog, I would have the dog at 24-hour care. They may be able to move the dog to say, Beltway Emergency Hospital for overnight care, then move back to regular vet in the morning - that would be the cheapest way to go, but may not be recommended by vet.

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Treatment for pancreatitis is IV fluids and crate rest, usually for 3-4 days. Absolutely nothing by mouth - no food, no water.

We (clinic at which I used to work) have kept dogs overnight, but no one is there and no fluids are done overnight since no one is there to monitor. Personally, if it were my dog, I would have the dog at 24-hour care. They may be able to move the dog to say, Beltway Emergency Hospital for overnight care, then move back to regular vet in the morning - that would be the cheapest way to go, but may not be recommended by vet.

She's apparently at Beltway. Is that where you used to work? I heard there's only one vet there now and that they seem to Sometimes have trouble attendingt o all fo their patients in a timely fashion as a result. :dunno

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest houndlover

Billy had pancreatitis over the summer (he was 11yo at the time) but it was not nearly as severe as what you are describing. The vet put him on antibiotics, no food for 24hours and a low fat diet and he has been fine since then. I personally would not feeling comfortable leaving my pet overnite for something like that if there wasn't going to be anyone there. Do you know how long the dog would actually be alone? My vet office is not a 24/7 facility BUT if they have an extreme case there have been times when the vet or nurse will stay overnite (they have a cot in the backroom) to watch an animal. If that isn't possible then they will sometimes stay late (12pm or 1am) and have a tech come in early (5am or 6am). Is that a possibility at your friend's vet office?

There are lots of websites that have great info on them and you can also do a search in the H&M section on GT for pancreatitis and get some info.

I hope that your former foster is feeling better soon. Please keep us updated on her progress.

Guest greyvettech

Pancreatitis can be fatal but not always- Treatment includes NPO- nothing by mouth for 24 hours-IV support and injectable antibiotics- Usually, after 24 hours of NPO, you try a small amounts of water frequently- After another 24 hours, you can try small amounts of food.(such as Hills I/D)- Usually a fatty diet can bring on pancreatitis ie:people food- but sometimes It just happens with no culprit- Dreamer my bridge kid that passed three years ago, died of pancreatitis:(- She did not make it because she had liver failure secondary to pancreatitis... We were never quite sure why she developed it, we never,ever, fed anything fatty... As long as he got treatment right away, he may be ok -but it is serious. They should repeat blood work on the second day to check his lypase and amylase values- but at minimum he should be there atleast 3 full days... I am hoping for the best!!! PS- take him to a vet emergency clinic @ night to be monitored-he shouldn't be alone

Edited by greyvettech

Guest fandogs

My 12 yo, non-Grey had it VERY bad.

Was hospitalized for 3 weeks..most of that time, on IV.

was never the same.. My heart told me do everything I could to save him..

In truth, he lived another 2 years, but never the same... and very little quality of life..

I think I should have let him go...

(This did happen in the early 90's) perhaps treatment has improved.

WIsh you and pup luck!

angel Bailey had it and was given iv fluids and meds for 5 days. however, i did bring her home every night...she would have stressed a lot more at having to stay at the vet's. i brought her in every morning and they gave us a private room, where i had mhy laptop and actually worked while Bailey laid on her beds with the iv going. she was given pepcid, fluids and antibiotics by iv. at the end of the day i took her back home after the vet taped up the iv site so the iv wouldn't get pulled out overnight.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Sorry so late responding - got busy doing my taxes.

If she is at Beltway (no, I worked at Highway), then it is a 24-hour clinic, sort of. There is only one vet there 8p - 8a but they have three (four?) techs/assistants (Dr. Patty worked there for several months after she quit Highway). I say sort of because there are the regular/referral vets that work there during the day, then another vet "rents" the space for the overnight shift. It's a smallish space in the treatment area (I was back there to assist Dr. Patty suture Symbra's foot one night) and every patients' cage is very visible. I have left a grey or two there overnight without too much worry. The techs monitor and alert the vet as necessary.

She's apparently at Beltway. Is that where you used to work? I heard there's only one vet there now and that they seem to Sometimes have trouble attendingt o all fo their patients in a timely fashion as a result. :dunno

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Thanks everyone for the responses. It sounds like Hennessey is doing really well. :yay She was able to eat some food this morning and actually had some interest in it (which is good, b/c for her not to have an appetite is just crazy). The people at Beltway seem to be doing a great job, they confirmed the pancreatitis diagnosis with some additional blood work they sent out, but they were going to do an x-ray this morning to double-check for a blockage anyway. It sounds like she's in good hands and they are expecting to be able to bring her home tomorrow evening if things continue to go this well.

As an aside, I saw this briefly mentioned on a site I looked at. I didn't have a chance to do more research, but their vet reported the same - apparently the thinking that you can't feed for 4-5 days is outdated. Based on recent changes in human treatment, it appears that giving food in very small quanities when the dog seems ready and gradually increasing amounts is a good way to go. I really don't know one way or the other, but in case anyone has to deal iwth it in the future, it's worth looking into. That's the strategy they're using with Hennie.

Thanks again!

Tell them to ask the vet about fat in the diet - that would set Cody off every time! And once I gave her a Greenie (ONE!) and that set her off! Vet said they're VERY high in fat... well, if I'd have known THAT, she wouldn't have gotten one!!

Hope Hennessey continues to improve - it's a scary thing!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Sending prayers.

Jodie would get mini bouts of pancreatitis and she would not want to eat. I'd feed her when she was ready and we didn't have a problem. When Shadow has his really bad bout, we didn't feed while he was on IV fluids which was 2-3 days. (he wouldn't have eaten anyway). He went at least 5 days without eating then it was a real struggle for several weeks. I firmly believe acupuncture saved his life.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Just got another update. No blockage found with the x-ray, she has been gobbling down small amounts of food whenever they will let her. Sounds like she's doing really well, huge sigh of relief!!!

Thanks everyone for the input.