Stitches?

Guest greytsox

Guest greytsox

Last Monday our Grey did some counter surfing while we were at work and knocked a glass on the floor and cut his leg just above his top pad. The cut is about 1 inch long if that. It didn't seem to be too deep but more than superficial. I'm assuming with the location of the cut he must of happened when he jumped off the counter and landed on it. At first he was limping and holding it up, as soon as I got home I cleaned it out really good applied antibiotic ointment and rapped it in sterile gauze ( suprisingly he kept the gauze on).. On Saturday I noticed it didnt seem to be getting better with just flushing with sterile water and applying gauze so today I took him to the vet. The vet stated that if she were to put in a couple (2) stitches that it would heal faster. She then stated that she was going to sedate him with anesthia because she didn't think the local would work. So then I started asking questions about why? how? how long? ect with the anesthia. I told her that we were told several times that Greyhounds are sensitive to it. Her answer was " If I had a nickle for everytime I heard that I would be rich" Ok, not something I wanted to hear. Has anyone had any experience like this before with getting stitches? I've never had to have stitches in a dog before. Is anesthia (sp?) in Greyhounds overrated? The vet looked at me like I was nuts. Do I need to find another vet.? She also noticed that he has some root of a tooth exposed, should I consider this vet for that procedure?

I didn't opt for the stitches, she said it would heal on its own and looked ok would just take longer to heal. So I saved $260 with not getting stitches.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance....

It's my understanding that certain types of anesthetic drugs cannot be used on these guys. Honesty if my vet was so rude about MY concerns and questions I would be requesting my records be faxed over to another office in a few weeks! lol

You need to feel comfortable with your vet. I would rather be using a vet who isn't as grey savvy, but is willing to listen and learn. For what I pay for an office visit they should answer all my questions in at least a professional manner. When I asked my vet before I even adopted if they were familiar with greyhounds and their anesthesia requirements he assured me they were and rattled off a bunch of medical terms pertaining to types of drugs. Made me feel better that the didn't trivialize my question.

It almost sounds like your vet was just trying to get you to pay for stitches and a whole ordeal when it wasn't really needed... Good job looking out for your pup's best interest!

------

Jessica

My boy pepper ,has six stitches in at the present time,he was sedated,so the vet could work on him,Back in march pep had a toe removed which required at least twelve stitches,pep had four dressing changes,and needed to be sedated every time without any problems, the reason being pep has issues with vets. hope this is of some help.

Guest greytloves

Have had many a stitch put in and my vet does a local cold spray then a localized anesthetic, lets me hold him/her (primarily her!) and stitches away. Unless its a really bad wound or in a bad spot, I would not opt to have him put under. But it does make any wound heal faster.

Clark got three stitches in his leg on New Years day. It was done with just a local, no problem. I was in the room the whole time and Clark was fine. The E-Vet said for something that easy he would rather not sedate a greyhound.

Sue ,Sky and Dood, Bridge angels Clark, Gypsy, Dreamy and Sneakers, Oshkosh,WI Heartbound Greyhound Adoptionsept2013sigcopy_zps8ad6ed09.jpg<p>

My whippet had a nice skin flap on the top of his head (note to whippet self - never jump underneath a snaggle-toothed grey) and needed 6-8 staples (don't remember which). The vet wanted to sedate him and I was not too keen on it. Needless to say, he got some good local and a valium. Came through like a champ! I also stayed with him during the procedure. Everything turned out fine and I keep telling him that chicks dig scars! At 12, he couldn't care less, though. :)

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Old-style anesthetic protocols (involving barbituate drugs, IIRC) were, in fact, quite dangerous for sighthounds.

Current gas anesthesia protocols in which gases like isoflurane are used are much safer for all dogs, but sighthounds (and probably some other breeds) in particular. The newer systems and drugs are nearly universal these days.

As for opting not to get stitches- it can be worrying when there's an open wound like that, even when covered. Coco managed to lacerate his tail so badly I could see the tendons, and it took a long time to heal- but even with stitches (if they were even possible there) it would have taken a long time. Another time he managed to cut a part of his paw where the bone was exposed; I saw no way a vet could get into the bits between the toes- it was an exceptionally awkward place- and opted instead for a rigorous inspection and cleaning regimen in which I would inspect, wash (with dilute povidone iodine), and re-bandage as necessary every 8 hours.

Perhaps foolish not to take him to the vet, but ultimately I have concerns about procedures that risk death, further injury (even just driving them to the vet's!), infection- including the potential for drug-resistant strains from being at the vet's, and then a big wad of drugs they'll want to give for post-op.

I suppose if the wound had been in the winter, I would have been more careful in that the yard gets all muddy sometimes. But it was in such an awkward place, way down in the webbing. The first 2-3 days, there was nothing- then, just- zip! It was healed over. Really kind of neat.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Whenever Turbo has to get stitches (and he's a clutz, so like at least yearly), he gets a local. The only time he had to go under was after a dog attack that required 14 staples and considerble debridement (and wound was *very* close to a major vein so it was too dangerous to do under a local only).

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Just out of curiosity.....do Vets ever use the "super glue" option for lacerations that they use on humans? It would seem that this might be a better option for animals than sutures.

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

I would say that most greyhounds do just fine with a local for most things that require stitches. They're used to being worked on and handled that way. My Bridge girl Libby had to get stitches several times (courtesy of her brother) and my vet learned that she would just stand there while he cleaned and stitched it, no problems.

That being said, for a foot, in winter, I would probably opt for stitches just to keep the wound a bit cleaner, At the very least he should have an antibiotic. Keep the cut as clean and as dru as possible. Foot skin doesn't stretch and tear like body skin - which I personally would manage at home with cleaning, neosporin, and an antibiotic as stitches usually just tear the skin up more.

I would also be looking for a new vet. Any professional who treats me and my concerns that way does KNOT deserve my business. And I would tell her why I was leaving, as well.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest greytsox

Thanks for all the info. She did give me an antibiotic, Keflex, for 10 days and told me to soak it in Epsom salts daily and keep clean and dry. When he goes outside to put a plastic bag over the foot to keep dry. I didn't ask about the super glue but that might of been a better option. Also I know in humans that they won't stitch something that happened a week ago, is that different with dogs? Also when she cleaned it she noticed a small puncture hole, I would think if she did sew it up it would keep any infection in there?? I'm seriously thinking about taking him to Cornell when he needs his tooth extracted. I should of known better from the first time she met Jacoby she thought the tip of his ear was cut because thats how they mark Greyhounds..

Jacoby Thanks You..!

l_872b23dede3b4db0a6d1c7fd681d0b37.jpg

All our stitches have been done with local -- including Poodles dog park attack that did have some puncture wounds.

I will say that when I first got greys and more especially when I was dealing with vets for rescue I was totally paranoid about the anesthesia thing. I made sure to ask about it. Finally one vet said (in a very nice way) "M'am with all due respect if there is a vet out there that doesn't know protocol for greyhound anesthesia they have been under a rock for 5 or 10 years. Most vets worth their salt don't use the old ways on any dog any more."

I'm sure there are vets that have been under rocks so it is probably good to ask, but I m also sure that vets get tired of being drilled by every greyhound owner.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Oh, yes. It's time to let your fingers do the walking through the yellow pages......................for a new vet.

We have had 3 flanks ripped open and one neck slash, right next to the jugular - nice! The very first flank was ripped in an inverted "V". The e-vet didn't want to anesthetize, so she used staples. Bad move. The whole procedure ended up needing to be redone (with stitches this time) about 5 days later because the skin at the narrow end of the "V" didn't/couldn't/wouldn't heal. Ssssooo, my experience says, staples or stitches, it may matter, but get something done. Gaping holes are magnets for infection! As far as anesthetic is concerned, go to www.greythealth.com, print all the articles and take them with you to your vet or a new vet should you choose to go that route. I have been going to the same vet for almost 15 years and I still make a copy of the anesthetic protocol and take it with me every time!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest RooCroo

Our guys used to think it was fun to run through the rose bushes, and consequently we've had to repair thorn damage a couple of times. We've never done stitches with anything more than a local anesthetic, and had no problems whatsoever. If a wound goes through the whole thickness of skin and I can see the muscle fascia or fatty tissue underneath, it's time for some sewing. Don't want to risk a nasty infection that would cost much more in the long run! :)

Edited by RooCroo

Guest greytsox
All our stitches have been done with local -- including Poodles dog park attack that did have some puncture wounds.

I will say that when I first got greys and more especially when I was dealing with vets for rescue I was totally paranoid about the anesthesia thing. I made sure to ask about it. Finally one vet said (in a very nice way) "M'am with all due respect if there is a vet out there that doesn't know protocol for greyhound anesthesia they have been under a rock for 5 or 10 years. Most vets worth their salt don't use the old ways on any dog any more."

I'm sure there are vets that have been under rocks so it is probably good to ask, but I m also sure that vets get tired of being drilled by every greyhound owner.

Oh, yes. It's time to let your fingers do the walking through the yellow pages......................for a new vet.

We have had 3 flanks ripped open and one neck slash, right next to the jugular - nice! The very first flank was ripped in an inverted "V". The e-vet didn't want to anesthetize, so she used staples. Bad move. The whole procedure ended up needing to be redone (with stitches this time) about 5 days later because the skin at the narrow end of the "V" didn't/couldn't/wouldn't heal. Ssssooo, my experience says, staples or stitches, it may matter, but get something done. Gaping holes are magnets for infection! As far as anesthetic is concerned, go to www.greythealth.com, print all the articles and take them with you to your vet or a new vet should you choose to go that route. I have been going to the same vet for almost 15 years and I still make a copy of the anesthetic protocol and take it with me every time!

Good idea to take the articles with me next time.. I don't want to make them feel as they don't know what they are doing ( obviously they made it throught vet school ). But it is my "kid" and my $ so I would probably be asking the same thing if I was taking a child to the doctors. The other thing is when I took Jacoby for his first visit a year ago they were so excited to see a Greyhound because they have never had one in the office before, which made me a little nervous. We live in a very rural part of PA. Also this is far from a gaping hole its just a small laceration about 1/2- 3/4 of a inch on the lower part of the leg above the top pad ( does that make sense?), it isn't on the bottom where he would be walking on it. The puncture hole she saw was about the size of a pinhead. Thanks again for all the info!