Need Advice Asap

Guest koolaidnconner

Guest koolaidnconner

My DBF just called devasted. He let the dogs out only 2 came and he never thought that Kool Aid never came in. Apparently about 5 minutes ago he was calling Kool Aid as Kool Aid is always with him at night and he had drifted off to sleep for a bit and woke up with no Kool Aid beside him.

Kool Aid had been out side in -25 with a windchill of about -30 for the last 45 mins. My poor boy never whines or barks to come in but my DBF said he is so cold, and has frost on his face.

He has blankets and he is massaging him. Is it ok to put a heating pad in between the blankets to help him warm up or maybe a warm shower?

Any quick remedies?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest KennelMom

um....I would probably try to get him to the emergency vet if you can. With frostbite and severe cold you have to warm the body up very slowly or there is a risk of shock and/or tissue damage. I would want his vitals being measured. I would definitely not do a heating pad or anything that's going to warm him up too fast.

Prayers for your boy :hope :hope

I would get him in right away. Please keep us posted

KoolAid, our Canadian buddy, Misty, Ekko and Wayne are all pulling for you.

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Call your E-Vet - they can give you advice over the phone to help determine whether you need to bring Kool Aid in for professional help.

What she said.

:ohno Poor Kool Aid! Please update us when you can... :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Call the e-vet first, they might tell you what to do at home, rather than risking bringing him out in the cold again.

I know in humans, you don't want to warm too quickly, so I would call the vet before using hot water or a heating pad.

Prayers for Kool-Aid for a full recovery, do let us know how he's doing.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

E-Vet...Please update as soon as you can. Sending prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Oh my gosh, prayers for your sweet baby. Mike is stuck in North Dakota right now in temperatures like that. He says it actually hurts to breathe it's so cold.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Just checking in for an update. I'm worried :( :( :( :(

Please be okay, Kool Aid... please be okay!!

:candle

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

As an immediate and safe way to warm up a human or animal get under a blanket with them. Your body heat will gently bring their body temperature up. I'd be concerned about frost bite though. Hoping Kool Aid is okay.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Geez Amanda! Is he concious? You need to get him checked, His ears. His feet. ASAP!!

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren