Bruising-photos Attached

Guest argolola

Guest argolola

post-2911-1231894164_thumb.jpg

post-2911-1231894151_thumb.jpg

Blood was drawn from Rudy yesterday to test for TBDs. From what the doctor said, they drew quite a bit. His platelets were low, as we already knew, but I don't know the exact reading as he didn't furnish me with a copy of the results.

This evening he has a bruise on his neck and belly. Please reassure me that it's not from the "bad" low platelet stuff. I am hoping his neck is where they drew blood (I am guessing here.) I wonder if he could have bruised his belly getting in and out of my little car. We actually thought he hurt his leg at first, as he did stumble getting out. Bear in mind he is bald on the tummy and neck.

Thank you all. I love my little boy so much.

Edited by argolola

Guest SoulsMom

Do you know for sure where the blood was drawn? Brusing at the site is not unusual. Soul's is usually on his leg, and even through his thin coat I can see a small bruise.

As for his belly, did he stay at the vet at all? Soul came home from the hospital with an awful, painful rash. I'm guessing from the bedding there, or he freaked out in his cage:

Soul004.jpg

I'll also somtimes notice bruises on Soul's bald belly from time to time and not know where they came from . . .

Guest argolola

Poor little Soul! That looks painful.

Yes, Rudy stayed at the vet for 6 hours before they would let us pick him up. No, I'm not sure where they drew the blood, but assumed it may be the neck. He was not happy until we got him back home to this own bed (and mine...lol.)

That doesn't look so bad Lene. Just keep an eye on it. Jake had a horrible bruise on his butt a few weeks ago, dark purple and red. no idea what he did. Arnica get reduced it overnight and by the next day it was gone. Arnica get rocks. Just keep an eye one it.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

The poor guy. I wonder if it's sore? Could they held him tightly or weren't gentle moving him around when drawing the blood??? People don't realize how delicate their skin is. I hope you can find out why there's bruising.

Guest SoulsMom
I wouldn't freak out yet, only if it gets bigger and worse.

Agreed, but I would call the vet to verify where the blood was drawn from. If you find out it wasn't from the neck, then I might be a bit worried.

Since he did stay at the vet, the belly could be from anything. The bedding, thrashing in the cage, who knows. I still have no idea what caused Soul's, but some bag balm on it cleared it up in about a day and a half. Though it did get to looking worse before it got better . . .

I've had significantly worse bruising than that giving blood and I'm healthy, Patrick's had that happen with a blood draw and he's healthy. I'm not saying to ignore it, but it's not necessarily something serious--hoping that's the case here.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Where can I get Arnica gel? It sounds like something I need to have on hand.

I get mine at Sprouts...not sure if you have that patricular store where you are? I think any health food store should carry it.

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

Guest greyvettech

Looks like normal brusing for a grey after a blood draw from the jugular vein- They have two, on their right and left side of the neck- The other brusing, it's hard to say. My girl once gave blood, and her neck was bruised for a week! I wouldn't worry unless it gets worse..I know, easier said than done.. You may want to contact your vet if you see him acting strange. Thrombocytopenia cause small brusies, usually, in numerous places- Did they also run a cbc/chem panel - If so, you can find out his platelet count....

Edited by greyvettech

No experience with bruising, but sending prayers for Rudy, anyway.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Where can I get Arnica gel? It sounds like something I need to have on hand.

I get mine at Sprouts...not sure if you have that patricular store where you are? I think any health food store should carry it.

Most health food stores do carry it. It's great stuff, just be sure to get the gel and not the cream. Massages is much more easily

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

You mentioned that his platelets were low -- do you know how low? A low platelet count can cause more bleeding by the blood not clotting as fast as it normally would and therefore, might be responsible for more/excessive bruising than in a normal circumstance. It's like when people are taking aspirin, they take longer to stop bleeding and as a result more bruising ...

The bruising might look worse tomorrow, sometimes it takes a day to "fully develop". I would check with the vet and find out what the value is.

Guest wmlcml6

Lene, is there a GNC store in St. Augustine? If not, try any health supplement store. It's usually about $12. Just apply to the affected area, and rub it in good. Then stay nearby to make sure he doesn't lick it until it dries (10 minutes or so). The difference in bruising from night application to the following morning will normally be significant.

Hope he feels better tomorrow.

Dude's neck can bruise like that after he gives blood - his neck is really bald like Rudy's! Arnica gel is a good thing to have around. I use it for my bruises, too, and it works like a charm. You can also sometimes find it in the health food or organic section at the grocery store.

Did he tell you the results for TBD's yet? I hope Rudy's going to be over with this treatment soon and feel all better. I was wondering about him today and getting ready to PM you.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest RooCroo

Oral homeopathic arnica can help too. Give the child's dose, usually two pellets, in the space between the gums and the cheek. Don't give any food or water for fifteen minutes before or after. I like the Hyland's brand best, because it dissolves very fast. I second the advice about arnica gel versus cream. The cream doesn't massage in all the way, and my guys lick at it. Not so with the gel.

Guest RooCroo
Are there any adverse reactions to the oral arnica if a dog has a low platelet count?

No adverse reactions that I know of. Homeopathics have very few side effects. It doesn't interfere with other meds the dog is on either. I used it on my angel Sissy when she was having chemo for mast cell cancer. One of the effects of this cancer is really nasty bruising. I don't remember her platelet count, but toward the end I do remember it being quite low.

Poor Rudy, it just adds insult to injury. Carl gets bruises from time to time on his chest, legs and belly, I found one on his chest today, I have no idea where it came from. I think he does it to himself when he gets excited and runs around the house like a mad dog.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014