Looking For Prayers For Elsa

Guest Greytnorth

Guest Greytnorth

I'm new to this site and have posted only a few times. I'm a regular reader of everyone elses topic but now it is my turn to ask for prayers and suggestions. My 8 year old greyhound, Elsa is in a rough place right now. It all started on the 30th of January.

On that night, Elsa had her supper as usual but a couple of hours later, she vomited the whole thing. At the time, we believed that it was just an upset stomach as she is prone to them. The next morning, I let her out to do her morning business. It was very cold that morning (about minus 30 C) and she was taking an unusually long time to return to the house so I headed out to check on her. (Warning to those with a weak stomach. You might not want to read this) I found Elsa squatting with a ball of string hanging from her back end. Thinking that she was just having trouble passing something, I grabbed a napkin and started to tug. About a foot of string followed before I hit resistance. Now in a slight panic, I cut what I could, called the vet and headed off to the clinic. Elsa spent New Years Eve at the clinic having her white blood cells checked every few house to make sure she wasn't developing an infection. We spoke with the clinic the next morning and everything seemed fine. She had even eaten a small amount of soft dog food so off we went to bring her home. For the next few days, Elsa didn't have an appetite but she continued to have regular BM and her white blood cell count remained normal. The night of the 2nd, Elsa started vomiting but her stomach was not distended nor did she have a fever. On the morning of the 3rd, she vomited up a large ball of string. Due to the size of it, we where hoping that it was the last of it. By this time, it was the weekend and the vet office is not open in my small town. We continued to keep a close eye on her and she kept taking in fluids. Unfortunately she wasn't keeping them down. By Sunday night, we knew that something was wrong. That night, I spent a very restless night sleeping on the couch next to her. 8:30 the next morning, we hauled Elsa off to the vet clinic. They gave her 2 litres of fluid (about a gallon for non-metric folks) as well has prescription strength graval. Again her white blood cell count was normal. Elsa spent the day at the clinic being re-hydrated then they sent her home. Tuesday, Elsa got her appetite back and was now eating small amounts of soft bland dog food. I was starting to think she was finally going to start feeling better. By the time I got home last night, she was vomiting all the fluids she had been drinking. Again I slept on the couch with her (I got about 2 hours sleep)

So all of this brings me to today. I spoke with my vet this morning and discussed options. Elsa was obviously not getting better and even though her white blood cell count had been normal up to now, it was time to get more agressive with treatment. We chose surgery.

Even as I'm writing this, I'm tearing up. Elsa has exploratory surgery this morning. They found a ball of string inside her stomach and another section of string about 8 inches long and the size of my thumb inside her bowels. She has one incision in the stomach and three at various places in her bowel. She s still a very sick girl and not out of the woods yet. Once she's home, do you have suggestions on what to feed and how to help her heal?

Please send your prayers for Elsa. I added a couple of pictures of her from this summer so that you could see my beautiful girl.

IMG_1033.jpg

n737936871_877837_5703.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Holding your beautiful Elsa in my prayers for a full recovery. :hope Please keep us updated...

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Wow, that is scary. Hopefully all the string has been removed and for food, as Trudy stated, bland. Chicken and rice is pretty bland. Our thoughts are with Elsa and you during this difficult time.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest vahoundlover

OMG How scary! I would imagine your vet will give you instructions on what to feed and what not to feed when they release her. Sending prayers your beautiful girlie will heal quickly. :candle Please keep us updated.

Guest jerrybird

Did the vets give you any idea of when she will be home? They will hopefully discharge her with feeding instructions and meds. She is very beautiful and I hope her recovery is swift.

Guest trevdog

I've had to deal with this too. They should send you home with some I/D. Several small meals a day. She will be uncomfotable for awhile, you may even find it useful to put a tshirt or something on her to keep from messing with the incision. Very limited activity. It took Dallas about 6 weeks to return to normal, but they didn't have to open up her intestines so I imagine it may take longer for her. Very important to monitor her, you do not want any of the sutures to open up as she may become septic.

Very scary, I know how you are feeling.

Guest ArtysPeople

I know someone whose greyhound recently had to undergo emergency surgery to remove thread bobbins from his digestive tract. I believe they had him on IV fluids only for a few days after surgery to allow his gut to heal a bit before making it process food again. He has healed according to schedule, but lost a ton of weight in the process. I mention this so you can prepare yourself; when I saw the dog a week or two after surgery, he looked like a completely different dog -- the normally big lug of a boy was showing his hip bones, ribs and spine. He's well on the way to healing, as I'm sure Elsa will be soon, but prepare yourself for her to lose some weight and look very pitiful before it's all over. :grouphug

Edited by ArtysPeople

How scary! Wishing Elsa a speedy and complete recovery. She's gorgeous.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

How scary. Keeping your beautiful Elsa in my thoughts and prayers.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Elsa is beautiful! :wub: Many good thoughts for her speedy recovery. :getwell

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest ChasesMum

Did they not do xrays or anything to check for an obstruction? That should have been top of the list of things to do the first time she went in! Actually, they probably shouldnt have sent her home...but I digress.

Chase destroyed a silicone funnel part of my breastpump and 6 weeks later she finally obstructed and needed surgery to remove it. We knew it was in there and she still went downhill really fast. So I feel your pain. She recovered just peachy keen, I think she was sent home with a/d (the recovery canned food that is super smooth and full of good things) for the first couple days and then I believe we moved her to regular canned and soaked kibble, then added hard kibble back in. BUt as mentioned, your vet will have explicit instructions for feeding her when she comes home so no worries there. Give her whatever they recommend, exopensive or not becuase it will be for a short time.

She was on IV for a couple days (night before, day of, night after, and day after, then came home) but other than moving slowly while she healed she was fine. Still is, and STILL gets into things she shouldnt. lol

She should heal fine now, barring anything nasty. She should be on a hefty dose of antibiotics to deal with any infection, and some pain killers to take the edge off, but she should be feeling better soon. Can you go visit her? I had to go walk CHase the night after because she wouldnt get up for the staff. With Mommy though she was happy to go for a walkie out to pee. silly girl...

Guest ArtysPeople
Chase destroyed a silicone funnel part of my breastpump and 6 weeks later she finally obstructed and needed surgery to remove it. We knew it was in there and she still went downhill really fast.

6 weeks! :eek As if I didn't have enough to be a nervous nellie dog parent about, stuff can stay in them that long before it obstructs??

Glad Chase is doing better now. :kiss2

Edited by ArtysPeople

Did they actually have to cut out any of her bowel or intestines and resect? If so, it will be very important to keep her totally quiet for the next week at least. I had a dog that had to have 8" of bowel cut out and resected...dr. told me it would take a aweek to know if she would live or not. She was just a puppy, so I carried her around in my arms whenever she wasn't in her crate.

Good luck!

Connie

She is gorgeous. I'll keep her in my prayers. (you too I know how scary it is, I had a dog eat a spool of dental floss) Hang in there, and let us know if we can help in any way.