Beau's Stoamch Issues---

We are day 9 of beef with rice and he started turning his nose up at this at day 5. We slowly added in beef triipe. Then he basically wouldn't eat it unless it was a lot of tripe.

yesterday, he really had a bad day eating wise and we did not get a lot of food into him. Now, after the holiday schedules we are back to work and unable to offer him his breakfast @ 11AM. So if he won't eat breakfast and he won't - he won't eat till 3 or 4 pm and then that wipes out dinner for him and you see the pattern. He can not affford to lose an ounce.

Yesterday, vet said to add in a bit of ID. He ate about 1/2 cup of that last night at about 10pm plain with 1/2 cup tripe on the side not mixed in.

This morning, he turned his nose up at sirloin hamburger, tripe and ID. He was never an early eater with gusto, but he ate and we were done with it.

Something is still going on. He has been on antibiotics for 10 days now. 500 mg flagyl (low dose) 1/4 tsp of tylan powder in a capusle, carafate which we stopped today and a probiotic as well.

I go to sleep stressing about it and wake up stresing about it and that is not helping the situation.

Coiuld the rice be causing this? Could it be a grain "thing" We took him off all chicken just to see if that could be it but it's not like things got THAT much better anf now I feel we are headed back in the wrong direction.

His poops are still soft serve. DH is going to bring the 3rd stool sample in today for a check to see if something shows. The other 2 have been negative.

Vet does not want to give round of Panacur because she is afraid that will REALLY screw up his stomach when it's off to begin with.

Help.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

This is Robin's dh Rich, she's on her way to work and I was wondering, since nothing we have been doing is showing any marked results, might it make sense to stop all the meds and switch him back to the pro-plan large breed (which he did fine on since we got him til we switched to sensative stomach)? Beau was never a great morning eater (needed to spice the kibble up with chicken) but he did eat and maintained his weight. We are at a loss

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Guest greyhoundlover2

Hi Rich...Terri from GAA. I'm with you! I've been through a lot of this with my Chelsea. I don't care what anyone says...antibiotics mess up the tummy. Chelsea has colitis and if her poo starts getting loose she gets a dose of Tylan powder but other than that she gets Purina Dog Chow with rice and a tiny bit of meat just for added flavor. The rice is because her kidneys are not 100% and it's supposed to help. I would stop all but the Tylan powder, make a gradual return to regular food and see how it goes. What have you got to loose? If you don't feel like the Tylan powder is working try some pure pumpkin. I can tell you from trying Tylan with my others, it doesn't seem to do much for them so maybe it only works for Colitis? Good luck with the baby!

Being a vet I would not take him off the medicine. Your vet put him on those for a reason. Some things I would consider would be to switch back to the original food. not sure why you switched to begin with however many do. continue with medicines, and just a thought these animals are very sensitive to stress. It appears just from the little knowledge I have there has been lots of different elements going on for you all. Your grey may be taking this stress on as well. I would see if he could get panacur. some samples continue to be negative because you don't get the right specimen or at the correct time. Please follow your vets recommendations. also, some greys only eat once a day.

The reason we took them off was because we did not like the new formula of proplan (with the shredded "chicken") and since beau's poop was rarely great (always somewhat soft and unformed) Robin decided to try the sensative stomach (salmon based). Now that proplan is bringing back the original formula (chicken & rice large breed w/o shredded) I think we will try it again. Thanks for the input, But the vet is wondering if it can be a chicken allergy, which is why we switched him over to beef 2 weeks ago (which hasn't seemed to make a difference either)

Rich

Edited by RobinM

Guest rubysdad

We have been thru this too.

1) metamucil for soft stool. It comes in flavors. Try different flavors.

2)yogurt- also flavored

3) warm food smells better to dogs

4)Try Canine WD dog food and

5)dogs love bread (plain or toast). For 1 month, we feed our dog nothing but bread and toast.

Seems that he has improved in some respects over the last 10 days? No more vomiting or blowout diarrhea?

Don't agree with your vet about the Panacur -- have not ever heard of it messing up a dog's tummy. He's been getting a lot of meds and they seem to have helped some but not totally fixed the problem. I would give 2-3 rounds of Panacur.

I might be inclined to keep him on the flagyl for a time.

It wouldn't hurt to try a switch back to his old food.

Some dogs never get totally firm on rice.

With his history, I honestly wouldn't worry if he misses a couple meals for a few days. He may end up eating just as much as if you stress over it.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Seems that he has improved in some respects over the last 10 days? No more vomiting or blowout diarrhea?

Don't agree with your vet about the Panacur -- have not ever heard of it messing up a dog's tummy. He's been getting a lot of meds and they seem to have helped some but not totally fixed the problem. I would give 2-3 rounds of Panacur.

I might be inclined to keep him on the flagyl for a time.

It wouldn't hurt to try a switch back to his old food.

Some dogs never get totally firm on rice.

With his history, I honestly wouldn't worry if he misses a couple meals for a few days. He may end up eating just as much as if you stress over it.

This is Robin at work.

He threw up once or twice before the meds when he was gurgly and eating grass, but not since.

He has not had blowout D either. It's a soft serve custard type. One poop actually appeared formed as it came out and them was custardy. But for the most part, just soft serve.

The fear I have about the old food was there were a few gurgly tummy issues, not many. Was that because that was just the beginning of it all and we never stuck it out long enough with that food once the gurglies started or was it because he was developing the chicken allergy? We will never know.

All I do know is that it seems to be going backwards now. He is not eating. DH is staying home this morning for a little while doing work from home.

I located the orginal formula pro plan large breed he had been on until Oct. when they made the changes.

Think I should do the switch???

Robin, at this point I would go back to the original food and see what happens. (I never had good luck with the sensitive stomach varieties with my group - don't know why but they loved it at first then wouldn't eat it after a couple of weeks.)

Maybe Beau just wants his regular food back. We have one dog who will eat nothing but one particular brand. If you start to hear the stomach gurgling again, you will know its related.

Make sure your vet is using the more sensitive SNAP kit to test for Giardia. Unfortunately, Hobbes went months undiagnosed when the older testing kit was used. Panacur can be given at some point if it is positive.

We've had two dogs with stomach issues and it can be very, very frustrating! Keep us posted.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Has he had an ultrasound?

xrays were done 10 days ago.

Guest SoulsMom

Ditto the ultrasound. I can't believe you're still going through this :(

One thing that came to mind . . . .could it be the tripe? I'm in the same boat, I don't know what is causing Soul to bleed internally, which is why I'm now following the vet prescribed regiment to try to identify the triggers. Only thing I can say for sure is the flagyl saved him from another hospital visit and I'd be very reluctant to eliminate that vet prescribed med . . . .

Edited by SoulsMom

I was also going to ask about the ultrasound. It will show things the x-rays don't. Another vote here for trying his original food.

:bighug for you and Beau. eating issues have got to be some of the most frustrating! That's when you really wish you could just ask them.

I'm sorry, I have no advice to offer but just wanted to send good wishes :grouphug

Regarding the Panacur though. I use it on pups (or I did, in the days when I was involved with rescue) and on 99% of occassions, there would be an upset stomach within a day or so.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

I have to agree with the ultrasound. It sounds like there is something going on for him to be suffering with this so long.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Vet does not want to give round of Panacur because she is afraid that will REALLY screw up his stomach when it's off to begin with.

Interestingly, my vet said to go with the panacur because it was soothing to the stomach and bowel......

Have you done a stool check every day for 3 days? Even then, you may not catch whip.

When I've had some of them sick and not wanting to eat, I found the hours between 10 p.m. and 12 a.m. the best for feeding. It's when they would eat the most.

I've done so many different things. Roasted is better than boiled with meat. I cut out any grain. I tried, when they obviously wanted it, plain dry kibble :rolleyes: I remember trying to get someone to eat ($2 canned, meat, etc) and they stuck their head in the kibble bowl and started chowing down. When Magic wanted kibble for two weeks straight, she ate 5 different kinds and didn't get diarreha! Then she went back to meat. I've soaked kibble, put ground meat and eggs in it and baked it like a meatloaf. I usually warm up canned because they like it better. I've done rice krispes and yogurt. Only one out of the many I've had would eat baby food. I remember a time when Shadow would only eat Lorna Doone cookies. I've had them eat milk bones only. I've heated up canned and mixed it with frozen BilJac. I've fed Bravo! raw (with bone).

Why stop the carafate?

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest IrskasMom

Robin .... first of all some well deserved Hugs :grouphug:grouphug Then , I am surprised you don't like the "shredded"

Pro Plan ( my Morty seems to like it ) and also I would go back to basic .

Interestingly, my vet said to go with the panacur because it was soothing to the stomach and bowel......

Have you done a stool check every day for 3 days? Even then, you may not catch whip.

When I've had some of them sick and not wanting to eat, I found the hours between 10 p.m. and 12 a.m. the best for feeding. It's when they would eat the most.

I've done so many different things. Roasted is better than boiled with meat. I cut out any grain. I tried, when they obviously wanted it, plain dry kibble :rolleyes: I remember trying to get someone to eat ($2 canned, meat, etc) and they stuck their head in the kibble bowl and started chowing down. When Magic wanted kibble for two weeks straight, she ate 5 different kinds and didn't get diarreha! Then she went back to meat. I've soaked kibble, put ground meat and eggs in it and baked it like a meatloaf. I usually warm up canned because they like it better. I've done rice krispes and yogurt. Only one out of the many I've had would eat baby food. I remember a time when Shadow would only eat Lorna Doone cookies. I've had them eat milk bones only. I've heated up canned and mixed it with frozen BilJac. I've fed Bravo! raw (with bone).

Why stop the carafate?

She felt that it would not be helping the stool. She did not know he had not eaten last night or today yet. DH is home with them and said they are all weirder than usual. Maybe the stormy weather.

But Beau has not touched anything including his beloved cookies.

We did 3 stool checks- weeks apart. We did not do 3 days in a row. Is that what we should be doing?

I have another call into vet.

Edited by RobinM

I think you should go back to the original food.

I also think that if he can't afford to lose an ounce I might again suggest that really need to think outside the box in terms of priming him to eat, as I mentioned before. A scrambled egg, a tiny bit of cheese, a bit of tuna or any of a zillion other random things. You just have to get him going. They don't have to be bland as the day is long it's just a bite or two. You don't have to give him a pound of something, just a nibble to get his interest up, then switch out to canned i/d or beef and rice, then kibble once he gets going. That is all I can say and I won't bug you with the idea again.

Ask your vet if tiny amounts of taste tempters might be OK. It might be if you can get his tummy full and keep it full (within reason) this might shake out. I don't know anything, but from my experience an empty tummy is its own worst enemy.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I don't understand anything anymore.

I will do the 3 days of stools.

I've been where you are except my vets go ahead with the worming. Also double check on the giardia.

Your vet may not be familar with carafate and doesn't know anything about it.

I just called Dh and told him to give him a pill. I am going to have to insist on the testing again and this time panacur.

He just ate 1/2 cup ID and a hamburger... after the carafate. DH gave the carafate and 10 minutes later he ate the cookie, so DH offered the food.

We will try adding in pro plan little by little as we see how he does the next few days. Will update after I speak to vet.