Changing Kibble

Guest HoustonGreys

Guest HoustonGreys

When Lofty came to us his prior mom had him on Pedigree small breed (she had a small dog also) but when we knew he was going to be part of our family I wanted to switch him to a different food. Turbo and Amy had always been on Eukanuba and that is what DD's 2 were still eating but since the "report card" on kibble came out and Kirkland's rated higher, we decided to switch everyone over. I started with 1/4 C new to 3/4 C old and left Lofty on it 3 days then went to half and half at that point his poop started getting softer. Now he's on 3/4 new to 1/4 old and his poop is so soft it's not formed --- sort of like pudding --- not diarrhea. My question is, will he get use to the new food over a longer period of time or does this mean the Kirkland's is not going to agree with him and we need to switch NOW? DD's two are having similar problems.

Thanks for your help.

Jackie

Which Kirkland formula are you using? Mine do much better on the Lamb & Rice, vs. the chicken.

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest HoustonGreys
Which Kirkland formula are you using? Mine do much better on the Lamb & Rice, vs. the chicken.

I did buy the chicken --- I always thought it was easier to digest than lamb. :dunno

Guest paulamariez

My guys are the opposite. They do better on the chicken and lamb is too rich for their tummies. I gave mine a Probiotic supplement every day for a week when we switched foods and it helped firm things up a lot quicker than when we didn't use the Probiotics. My guess is the soft serve stool is just the normal adjustment to the new food. It tends to take a week to two for their systems to adjust. I just got the Probiotic from Walmart, the same one that I take every day and it worked like a charm. Any time my guys have any soft stools they get the Probiotic and Pepto. Good luck with the food changeover. I don't think I'd jump right away into switching to the lamb unless there is no stool improvement after a couple weeks or if it gets worse. Good luck.

I know quite a few people Jackie who have their dogs on Kirkland but they all use the lamb. I also use a lamb base food. Might be worth a try to switch to the lamb and see how Lofty does on it. Or you could also try a little yogurt in his food

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I've always found that what I get in the beginning is the best I'm ever going to get. My pups have never improved on a food over time. When I get to the point you're at, I take the new food back to the store for a full refund and try something else.

Good luck!

ETA: Except for a case of true food allergy, or those few cases where recipes are *very* different, I've also never had good results in switching around amongst different formulas of the same brand. In many brand lines, the only thing different between a lamb and a chicken recipe will be a single ingredient. That's never made a difference to my pups. YMMV.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Kirkland is our foster dog food and a lot of our dogs do not do well on it. I find that as food goes Proplan or Dick Van Patten's food work much better on multiple dogs.

For my two I chose a single protein commercial dog food.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Guest myneedlenose

Our guy has always had pudding poops, no matter what food I changed him to over the years. He is now on Kirklands Chicken and Rice (four months so far and the gas is peeling paint!), I'm going to try the Lamb this week and see what happens. I have found that adding in a turkey neck once or twice a week along with some green tripe mix firms things up quite nicely for the first round of elimination. When he goes more than once at a time they get progressively softer regardless of what I feed him.

Guest HoustonGreys

You know, we used Eukanuba since adopting Turbo in 2001 and never had a problem. I think I just hyped myself into thinking it wasn't good enough. :rolleyes: Tomorrow I'm going to go buy some Eukanuba and start again with 1/4 C of it and 3/4 C of his Pedigree (he still has plenty of it) and see how he does. DD's putting hers back on Eukanuba. If this does NOT work for Lofty then I'll be trying another new brand --- yet to be determined. :blush

Thank you all for your input.

Jackie

PS Needlenose --- I understand about the gas! It is HORRIBLE! Good luck with the lamb!

I had Carl on Kirkland lamb (which he did very well on) and decided to try the chicken to change up the flavor for him...BIG MISTAKE. Major pudding poop and flesh melting gas ensued. I couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Back to Kirkland lamb we went!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Having dealt with a dog that had liquid poop my :2c would be to go back to the Eukenuba now. One of my guys had liquid poo on every high rated food I tried and thrived on a "grocery store" brand. Then I worked for a while for a company that makes a very high rated dog food that costs around $40 for 30 pounds for the "human grade ingredients". I got free product and no matter how long I tried to transition every dog in my house had loose poops. I just gave up on it.

Reviews are just opinions. Some are based on the mantra du jour such as "no corn, no wheat, no soy". Dogs can't read reviews but they can sure tell you if something is working for them.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

My three cents (allowing for inflation :))... I've had very good success with Pro Plan Selects salmon and brown rice... firm poop very little gas. Even the foster I had recently took to it with no adjustment problems.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Guest HoustonGreys
Having dealt with a dog that had liquid poop my :2c would be to go back to the Eukenuba now. One of my guys had liquid poo on every high rated food I tried and thrived on a "grocery store" brand. Then I worked for a while for a company that makes a very high rated dog food that costs around $40 for 30 pounds for the "human grade ingredients". I got free product and no matter how long I tried to transition every dog in my house had loose poops. I just gave up on it.

Reviews are just opinions. Some are based on the mantra du jour such as "no corn, no wheat, no soy". Dogs can't read reviews but they can sure tell you if something is working for them.

We bought Eukanuba today so I'm starting the transition with the Pedigree to Eukanube. You're so right --- "actions" tell us exactly what agrees with them.

My three cents (allowing for inflation :))... I've had very good success with Pro Plan Selects salmon and brown rice... firm poop very little gas. Even the foster I had recently took to it with no adjustment problems.

:lol Inflation has even hit opinions! :lol I decided to try Eukanuba first but I think my back up plan will be Pro Plan if Eukanuba doesn't agree with Lofty. I definitely wanted a back up plan! :colgate