Good Thoughts For Casey, Please?

Sending more prayers for Casey...I am so glad that she ate well for you. Hug her for me. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest goofydog

Gentle scritches for Casey and maybe a kiss or 2. Glad to hear she is home and eating again. It sounds like you have a good plan for her recovery period. Let me know if I can do anything to help ya'll out.

Toni

Contiued prayers that the resting and meds help.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I encourage you to read Dr. Stack's article on Lumbosacral Stenosis, which is also called equina cauda. The depo shots can have very good results for some dogs and might be something you want to discuss with your vet.

Dr. Stack's Article on LS

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

Can't give Rimadyl and prednisone at the same time, so you wouldn't want to start it back at all.

Cauda equina = Lumbosacral Stenosis or LS. See Dr. Stack's article here: http://greythealth.com/lumbosacral.htm . The shots might be well worth trying for her.

Sending little Casey scritchies and hugs for mom.

Absolutely. :nod

The shots made Rex a new man. He went from unable to get off the couch to bounding up the steps. They DO NOT go in the spine or close enough to hiit it. At least check into it.

P.S. IMO total bed rest is overrated. There have been several threads on here LS. Maybe some are still here.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I've read Dr Stack's article, and will make sure that my vet's aware of it. And I respect the concerns related to bed-rest. But until she can move without yelping in pain, I'm thinking bed-rest can't be such a bad thing. She's doing it voluntarily, anyway, only getting up when she needs to go outside. The crate simply protects her from the other dogs and helps her feel secure.

Some friends came over today and installed a ramp for us. She's used it once, so far (she had to go outside while they were still installing it). She wasn't sure what she thought of it, but handled it ok (remember - she's the one that needs everything to stay the same). We don't have any musculature issues yet - no weakness in her hindquarters, or anything. What we have, according to the x-rays, and two doctors' evaluations of her behavior, is a pinched nerve that was probably inflamed after it was pinched. The inflammation makes it easier for the nerve to be pinched again, which is what's been happening. We're trying to give the inflammation a chance to subside.

She yelped once last night, and again today when she was heading outside. I've heard her yelp a couple other times, but it's when I was outside putting the carpet runner on her ramp, and it might have been whining rather than yelping.

She lets me know when she wants out of her crate. If she doesn't want out, she won't move, no matter how much I encourage her. She's always known her own mind, and I trust her to know what her body can handle.

She has a healthy appetite - ate all her breakfast and any treats I give her with no problem, and had no problem doing her business in the yard. Even gave me some nice healthy poop out there today, which is always good to see, especially since she's not overly-fond of pooping while on a leash.

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

Acupuncture might help too...

that, and chiro, are on my list of future things to check out.

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

Another peaceful night in her crate, a trip down her new ramp like she's been doing it forever (and no yelps this time), and a healthy poop this morning. Whoo hoo!

Keep feeling better and better sweetie. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Baby girl continues to do well. :) An upset tummy thanks to the meds, but Pepcid & metranidazole took care of it. She's VERY happy at getting rice/beef today instead of kibble. She doesn't quite pull me down the ramp, but she makes it plain that I'm not moving quickly enough for her. It feels so good to write those words.

And she's still a super-trooper about taking her meds. :)

Oh, it does my heart good to read such encouraging reports! :yay Yippee! :yay Casey, you're gonna be just fine!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

So yesterday, we walked around the front yard a little, so she could stretch her legs more, and last night she walked to the mail box with me.

I overslept this morning, and didn't want to make her wait until the other dogs were in from their first outing, so we were all 3 outside together for the first time in over a week. We won't do that too often while I'm leash-walking - Pip got tangled in her leash coming back inside (he pays very little attention to what's around him).

I think she likes it better alone, too. Pip's pretty boisterous, which is great for him, but not for someone who's not feeling 100%

How to tell your dog is feeling better:

her late-night whining is because she wants to sleep on the bed with you, not in her crate in the livingroom. :D (I slept on the LR floor last night, and she went right to sleep. I guess I'll be moving my other crate into the bedroom for her - she's not allowed to jump on the bed yet)

She was so cute.... she'd whine, I get my warmer clothes on and leash her up as she left her crate. She'd try to head up the hallway, but I'd steer her towards the outside door. We'd go outside, and she'd stand by the ramp and just grin at me until we went back inside.

it only took 4 trips like that for me to realize I'd need to sleep in the LR. :lol (I have GOT to get me a sofa this year)

Oh, Casey! You have to forgive your Mom for not "getting it" the first three times! Nice try, though! :lo

So glad she's feeling well enough to let her sense of humor come through! Praying for continued improvement!l

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead