Soul Is Sick Again

Guest SoulsMom

Guest SoulsMom

Happy 2009 :(

He only at half his breakfast, and now he's uncomfortable and doing the "arching his back" thing that he started doing before the HGE episode. He's very tired, but can't get comfortable and will get up and pace, then stand with his face in a corner, falling asleep on his feet. The only thing different this time is that his tummy is not gurgly. I can hear him digesting what little breakfast he ate, but nothing loud like the last time.

Nothing has changed in his diet, he's still on the I/D food. I had been trying to transistion him back to his regular kibble, but noticed his poops were getting soft, and he was getting gassy again, so I stopped the transistion a while back. Nothing, I mean NOTHING has changed in his diet. The only thing that has changed in his environment is that he got two new stuffies for Xmas and it's VERY cold here this morning. Negative one degrees . . . .

I just don't know what to do :sad1

Edited by SoulsMom

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd get in touch with the vet when they opened in the morning and get him on some antibiotics. Emmy's HGE was bacterial and once we went through 2 weeks of antibiotics she never had another episode.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest SoulsMom

Well, it's been almost exactly two months since he was hospitalized, and at that time he was on the flagyl for two weeks and he's been absolutely fine since. Until today. . . . and the vet is closed :(

ETA: no he's not drinking water, but that's not unusual. Typically he sleeps all morning, then gets thirsty later. And I'd really rather not go to Tufts, I just don't like their care very much unless it's an emergency and there is no other choice

Edited by SoulsMom

Guest greytbookert

Oh man, Amber! I wish I had some magic advice for you and Soul. However, if you need something, please feel free to call us. We are both home.... I'm working from home and Ed is off today.

Could he have held in his poop due to the cold? T did that yesterday and last night but boy did poop huge this morning.

Guest MAXNAV

Hi Amber,

Sorry to hear that Soul is not feeling well again. What kind of kibble do you normally give him? My collie went through major problems with kibble for almost the first year we had him. (He was about 7-8 at the time, so we had no history on him.) We went back & forth to the vet, he was given flagyl, special vet food (bland stuff), abs, etc., and every time we tried to re-introduce his food, we'd go through the same thing all over again, with the big D, not eating, grumbly stomach, etc. We finally put him on IAMS Lamb & Rice (friends did not agree with my giving him this food), and he never had a problem again. I automatically put Navigator on it as well when we got him, so that there'd never be a problem with Max getting something other than what worked for him.

I hope Soul feels better soon!

Doreen & Navigator

P.S. One other thing, my brother had problems with his dogs (3 of 6 little yippers) who had problems with wheat in their kibble. The big D and grumbly stomachs. Once they switched the food, there wasn't any more problems.

Guest SoulsMom

Thank you Deb, we really, really appreciate it :grouphug

He did hold his poop yesterday because he didn't want to go out in the snow, but he finally had a BM around 5pm and it looked fine. He also pooped this morning and it looked fine. I was out there with a flashlight in the sub zero temps, inspecting it . . .

He's finally gotten comfortable and is sleeping on his healing blanket. I just don't know what to do, his ultrasound showed no abnormalities. Maybe I just have a really empathetic dog and he's feeling everyone's hangover this morning :rolleyes:

ETA: Hi Doreen, Soul has been on Hills Prescription diet I/D kibble since he was hospitalized for HGE on 11/5. He was on that for a month then I slowing began the transistion back to his regular kibble, Natural Balance venision and sweet potato. Over a period of two weeks I got him to half and half. But then his poops started getting soft and he started getting gassy again. So, I started transistioning back to all I/D. He currently eats 1/4 cup Natural Balance and 3/4 cup I/D for each meal, and then a snack before bedtime, which is 1/3 can of the wet I/D. For the past two months, he's been fine. Until today. The ONLY thing that has changed is I started reducing his bedtime snack from half a can to a third of a can . . . .

ETA again to add that he's also been getting bag balm on his nose daily for the past two weeks because his Lupus has been flaring up . . .

Edited by SoulsMom

Oh no I've just seen this poor Soul and poor you with worry..........it might just be gas :goodluck

Maybe massage his tummy very gently clockwise in circular motions when he's roaching, I do this with all our three dogs when they have an upset tummy.....it appears to help them.

Hope he feels better, when the vets are open it might be just as well to ask them to put him on a course of antibiotics.

Hug him from us...

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Guest greyt2love

So sorry to see this, Amber ! I have no suggestions, just hope that it's something easy to take care of this time and the Soul Man gets better riteawayquik !!

Deb

Amber, I am so sorry that Soul is under the weather this morning. I have no advice (you probably know as much as anyone by now), no experience either, but sending healing thoughts and healing light your way. Soul Man - feel the light, calm the tummy. Feel the light, calm the tummy. Feel the light, calm the tummy. Oohhhhmmmm!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

:( Hope it's just a blip and he's feeling better this afternoon.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest MAXNAV
ETA: Hi Doreen, Soul has been on Hills Prescription diet I/D kibble since he was hospitalized for HGE on 11/5. He was on that for a month then I slowing began the transistion back to his regular kibble, Natural Balance venision and sweet potato. Over a period of two weeks I got him to half and half. But then his poops started getting soft and he started getting gassy again. So, I started transistioning back to all I/D. He currently eats 1/4 cup Natural Balance and 3/4 cup I/D for each meal, and then a snack before bedtime, which is 1/3 can of the wet I/D. For the past two months, he's been fine. Until today. The ONLY thing that has changed is I started reducing his bedtime snack from half a can to a third of a can . . . .

ETA again to add that he's also been getting bag balm on his nose daily for the past two weeks because his Lupus has been flaring up . . .

Hi Amber,

I'm still wondering if you slowly changed his food, it might help. The lamb & rice is so much easier for their stomachs. Also, my collie could not have any canned mushy food, no matter what kind it was, as he would have MAJOR gas and his stools would start softening up to the big D again. Surprisingly, he could tolerate Pedigree pouches (the chunks type, but not the mushy one). I'd use just enough to put all of his meds in morning & night. He was on thyroid meds, heart meds, tramadol & metacam (for cancer pain).

My mom & sister had Lupus as well, and I remember them having issues as well with their stomachs because of all the meds they were on. I think I remember them having to take tagamet to help. Crap! I wish I could remember if that was the antacid they took. I'll check with my older brother and see if he remembers.

I hope he starts feeling better. We're thinking of you both, on this NASTY bitter cold day.

Doreen & Navigator

Guest SoulsMom

Well, the I/D is about as tummy soothing as you can get. I've thought about Lamb and rice kibble, but the fat content is higher than I'm comfortable with. After he was hospitalized, I wracked my brain to try and figure out what caused the GI bleeding and the only thing I could think of was too much fat in his food. The morning of the blood he'd gotted a squirt of Grizzley Salmon oil in his kibble, and two days before the boys had a little bit of sardines as a treat. The I/D is 10% fat or less, so I've been trying to keep him in that range. My vet also agrees that he just might not be able to handle a high fat diet. But, of course, no one really knows what can cause HGE, it could be so many things . . . .

Yea, I'm not leaving the house today. It is sunny, but oh so cold!!

I don't know what to offer you except hugs. We too are fighting some unknown here and it's so da*n frustrating.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

oh gosh Amber :ohno Only just seeing this now. Is he a little more comfortable now?? I know I'm 3+ hours away, but if there is anything I can do, please let me know! I am here for you both. :grouphug

It's really nasty up here too today :( The dogs did their business and RAN back indoors immediately.

I would just monitor - I understand wanting to wait for your regular vet to open unless it's an emergency. I don't like my e-vet much either. Please keep us posted...

:goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

Edited by merlinsmum

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day.