Rudy

Guest argolola

Guest argolola

Hello all and Merry Christmas.

As you know, Rudy has had health issues from day one. We have our ups and downs, but lately things were really going good. His blood work finally got straightened out and the doctor put him on a 3 week Doxy treatment, which stopped his fevers and got him acting pretty much normal.

The last doxy was given in the morning on 12/18/08, and within a few days the fever was back.

I cannot tell you how much I love this boy. We are just as committed to him as we were to Lola and her illness almost 6 years ago. The only drawback is that the pocketbook is almost empty, which I am sure many of you will understand.

The vets are stumped. I guess the next step is a full tick panel. So far this is what we have done:

CBC

chem

urinalysis

tick punch test

diabetes screen

thyroid screen

He came from Oklahoma within the past 8 months I would guess. They may have other kinds of ticks than we have here.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

You might PM Burpdog re dosage and timing of doxycycline for ehrlichia. If his fever went away while he was on it, a longer course at the ehrlichia dosage might be the thing to do next from an economical point of view. If he has babesia, that won't cure him; if he has ehrlichia, it likely will.

Hugs and best luck to your sweetest boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest argolola

I just found this on the OSU website:

What is ehrlichiosis? A friend told me his dog got this from a tick bite and that his veterinarian told him it was a common problem in Oklahoma. Since I live near my friend and just got a dog, I would like to learn more about ehrlichiosis and how to protect my dog from getting this disease.

Ehrlichiosis is a disease frequently found in dogs residing in Oklahoma. It is most commonly caused by an organism named Ehrlichia canis, although other Ehrlichia species may also infect Oklahoma dogs.

Ehrlichia canis is usually transmitted to dogs by the bite of the brown dog tick (the most common dog tick), which carries the Ehrlichia organism. The organism eventually spreads to many locations in the body by white blood cells called monocytes and their derivatives.

There is no known sex or age predisposition. However, the German shepherd dog is believed to have increased susceptibility to the effects of Ehrlichia infection.

A wide variety of clinical signs can be seen in dogs infected with Ehrlichia. Some infected dogs may not show any obvious signs or display only mild signs of illness and may recover from infection on their own. Others may remain carriers for life or eventually develop the chronic phase of infection.

Clinical signs of illness that the owner may observe include lethargy, weight loss, lameness, nosebleeds or other evidence of hemorrhage, loss of balance, pale gums, and decreased appetite.

Owners may occasionally notice small red “spots or splotches” on the skin. These are very small areas of bleeding called petechiae. These usually result from a low platelet count (see below) which is common in ehrlichiosis.

The most common blood abnormality, which can alert your veterinarian that ehrlichiosis might exist in your dog, is the presence of a low platelet count. This is usually apparent on a routine complete blood count. A positive diagnosis of ehrlichiosis is then made by special blood tests (serology) which identify antibodies formed in response to the presence of the Ehrlichia organism.

Sometimes the organism itself may be identified in a blood smear, tissues, or fluids obtained from areas such as joints or the central nervous system. However, it is rare to find it this way.

Other diseases can produce similar signs; therefore, your veterinarian may suggest other tests to check for these diseases since there are few clinical signs that are unique to ehrlichiosis.

Although other drugs are sometimes used in the treatment of this disease, the antibiotic doxycycline (a type of tetracycline) is the most commonly used drug. It is usually given for 3 to 4 weeks.

In most cases, the prognosis with treatment is good although some infected dogs may relapse or become reinfected. The prognosis is worse if the disease has advanced to the chronic stage.

In the chronic stage, the bone marrow can become depleted of precursors for red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets (cells which help blood clot), making recovery of the affected patient unlikely.

Prevention of ehrlichiosis includes good tick control. There are numerous products available from your veterinarian that are effective in repelling and/or keeping ticks from attaching to a dog.

Since a tick must attach to a dog to transmit the organism, tick control is very important. This is especially important since there is not a vaccine available for prevention of ehrlichiosis. Your veterinarian can also help protect your dog through regular check-ups and screening tests for Ehrlichia.

And finally, some species of Ehrlichia may cause disease in humans, but it is extremely rare for Ehrlichia canis to cause a problem in people. In general, dogs infected with Ehrlichia are not considered to be directly contagious to other dogs or humans but can act as a reservoir of infection for the tick vector. These ticks could then expose susceptible dogs to infection.

This column is provided by the faculty of the OSU Boren Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital.

###

Guest argolola
Rudy actually had his last race on Sept. 11, 2008. He ran at Lincoln and Orange Park/Jacksonville.

If you go here then click on dog/raceline viewer. Then just type in his name.

LI is Lincoln and OP is Orange Park/ Jacksonville

Dick

Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks. BTW, where is Lincoln?

Guest PhillyPups
Rudy actually had his last race on Sept. 11, 2008. He ran at Lincoln and Orange Park/Jacksonville.

Dick

When you click the link, then click his race record, then click LI you will see where Lincoln is. :P

What has your vet said about Rudy's condition? Is you adoption group working with you? Do they have any past medical records? If he was on doxy for 3 weeks, that is what is stated in OSU's page you gave us (3-4 weeks).

Please keep us posted.

And many :hope for Rudy.

Dick

Rhode Island

Have them run Valley Fever while they are at it. Should not be much additional cost. I know Shanti gets fevers.

Valley Fever was my first thought......having had the disease personally, I can vouch for the fevers.

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

I know a lot of people have had to have extended Tick borne disease treatment - several courses over a few months - before they were really better. Living here in Oregon we don't deal with many tick bites (they do in Eastern OR but not here in the valley) so I don't have any knowledge except what I've read here.

I'm so sorry! Hope your Christmas has been a good one anyway!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Unless Rudy raced or was whelped in Arizona, CA, or southern TX, no point getting him tested for Valley Fever.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest argolola
Unless Rudy raced or was whelped in Arizona, CA, or southern TX, no point getting him tested for Valley Fever.

That's good to know.

He was whelped in Oklahoma, then must have gone to Rhode Island and on to Florida.

Sending prayers for your sweet baby boy. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Jed had ehrlichia. Stress would always cause a flair-up. When he would flair, his symptoms were peeing (A LOT), panting/pacing and high fever. He was mis-diagnosed with UTIs by our former vet. Our current vet almost immediately diagnosed a TBD. A blood panel confirmed it. We would dose with doxy for a minimum of 6-weeks. Sometimes he would get a prednizone shot at the start of the treatment.

I hope you can get Rudy's illness pinned down so that he (and you) can start feeling better.

:grouphug

Daisy & Eli, the crazy hounds, and Bella & Zoe, the curly kitties,
and Jed (10.30.98 - 11.28.08) & Ripple (3.25.99 - 8.20.09) together again at the bridge
with Cleo-Kitty (10.8.1988 - 7.26.2007) always in my heart.

Guest argolola

Thank you everyone. Rudy is having a really good day and isn't feverish at all today. He and I snuggled together for 3 hours, then we watched It's a Wonderful Life this afternoon with both pups on the bed. That is heaven on earth.

Tomorrow he will go back to the vet for follow up.

Guest HoustonGreys
You might PM Burpdog re dosage and timing of doxycycline for ehrlichia. If his fever went away while he was on it, a longer course at the ehrlichia dosage might be the thing to do next from an economical point of view. If he has babesia, that won't cure him; if he has ehrlichia, it likely will.

Hugs and best luck to your sweetest boy.

Since my sweet Amy died of Babesia I always suggest being sure they run this test --- it is a separate test from the Ehrlichia.

:grouphug:candle

Thank you everyone. Rudy is having a really good day and isn't feverish at all today. He and I snuggled together for 3 hours, then we watched It's a Wonderful Life this afternoon with both pups on the bed. That is heaven on earth.

Tomorrow he will go back to the vet for follow up.

Sounds like a perfect day. Glad he is feeling better.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project