Lewis

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry. Sending lots of good thoughts your way. You're getting some excellent advice from others who have sadly gone through this too, and as for the rest of us who haven't been through it - you have all the support we can give...

Keeping Lewis in my thoughts :candle :candle

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I spoke to Blair and yes, the films are on their way to OSU/Dr.C.

Continued prayers for her Lewis.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest greytloves

sigh. OS saddens me so much and to hear others having to lose their babies to it just compounds the sadness. I can only have comfort in knowing that my girl that had OS is up there with a lot of others just like hers. I so wish Dr Couto can make leaps and bounds in treatment plans and hopefully cures some day.

I pray for a day that we no longer have to think of this horrible monster.

Guest TBSFlame
Prednisone is usually for inflammation, so I don't know what it has to do for the cancer. I don't remember that my Scout was put on it when she was diagnosed with bone cancer. The big thing with bone cancer is controlling the pain--It is very painful, even if the dog is being stoic. So if your vet did not prescribe pain-killers, I would demand some for your boy.

Hugs and good wishes--I hope it is the 2% other possibilities.

It is important to map out a plan. If you choose not to do the amp having the pain meds on hand and don't be afraid to use them. Know you will need to increase as needed. Circle of Greys was a big help to me.

Thanks everybody!!! I e-mailed Dr. Couto last night and asked if he would take a look and just like RobinM said, he had e-mailed me early this morning and said absolutely, send them. What a good man he is. I paid the extra $$ to make sure they were there tomorrow morning so hopefully, I may know something tomorrow afternoon/Friday morning and we'll proceed from there. I'm watching him like a hawk...poor thing....he probably is wishing I'd back off but he is getting around okay. He's limping for sure but is managing. He picked on Stella like he always does when I get home and chased her around the yard a little bit this afternoon. It's really wet and muddy here so I'm keeping that at a minimum, for fear he may slip. He's eating like a champ just like he has since Day 1. My vet didn't pick up my message until too late this afternoon so I can't pick up his pain meds until tomorrow morning but I'm not going to give him any more prednisone. It makes him drink way too much water which sends him outside way too much and right now I'm just really nervous with him on the deck steps. He does fine...that's just me. So for right now, we're sitting tight and waiting to see what's next. Please keep those good thoughts coming and thank you all so much.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest greytmonty

I am so very sorry to hear this. We are dealing with cancer here too and I know it is so heartbreaking. I hope Dr. Couto and his team can be of help.

Thanks everybody!!! I e-mailed Dr. Couto last night and asked if he would take a look and just like RobinM said, he had e-mailed me early this morning and said absolutely, send them. What a good man he is. I paid the extra $$ to make sure they were there tomorrow morning so hopefully, I may know something tomorrow afternoon/Friday morning and we'll proceed from there. I'm watching him like a hawk...poor thing....he probably is wishing I'd back off but he is getting around okay. He's limping for sure but is managing. He picked on Stella like he always does when I get home and chased her around the yard a little bit this afternoon. It's really wet and muddy here so I'm keeping that at a minimum, for fear he may slip. He's eating like a champ just like he has since Day 1. My vet didn't pick up my message until too late this afternoon so I can't pick up his pain meds until tomorrow morning but I'm not going to give him any more prednisone. It makes him drink way too much water which sends him outside way too much and right now I'm just really nervous with him on the deck steps. He does fine...that's just me. So for right now, we're sitting tight and waiting to see what's next. Please keep those good thoughts coming and thank you all so much.

Oh Blair- that was step one and that's done! next... the hard part... waiting... but in the meantime, you can figure out what you want to do and where.

Did you speak to Winslow's mom yet? I think it's good to stop he prednisone. Get those pain meds as soon as you can so you can have them at hand. He may not be complaining, but if he is limping, he's in pain. :(

Keep the updates coming and just know you are both in our thoughts and prayers.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

I'm so sorry to hear of this possible diagnosis for Lewis. It makes my stomach turn over when I read a post like this because I can quite clearly remember the feelings of shock and horror and turmoil.

if they are feeling a high probability already, time really is of the essence. both polli and ember were amputated within days of diagnosis and embers osteo wasnt confirmed to post amputation, but her x rays were clear enough :-(. overnighting the film is the way to go.

I am also in agreement with the above. Darcy had no limp AT ALL and the first we knew of a problem was when she walked across the room, screamed and held up her front right paw. She was xrayed within hours and amputated that same day, on the basis of the xrays alone. Osteo was confirmed afterwards.

Not all dogs and their people are candidates for amputation but if you and your vet think that Lewis is a candidate, time really and truly is of the essence.

I wish you and Lewis lots of love and luck and Darcy (14 months post amp) sends Lewis a kiss from over the ocean :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

My grey also had his leg amputated on an x-ray diagnosis alone. Although I did have a second set of x-rays taken just to be sure (of course it was the same).

I discussed the bone biopsy with the vet and they informed me that the procedure is very painful, can cause additional problems, and if the aspirate is not taken from the correct location, may not get the cancer cells and thus, not confirm the diagnosis.

As others have noted and also in my grey's case, the pathology report later confirmed that it was osteo.

How did Lewis do last night with the pain meds and please update as soon as you hear from OSU.

How did Lewis do last night with the pain meds and please update as soon as you hear from OSU.

He settled down nicely and slept through the night. He's getting around much better this morning and ate a good breakfast. I gave him another 100MG of Rimadyl and will pick up more at the vet this morning. I just tracked my package to OSU and it hasn't been delivered yet. Are they an hour behind us? I think so. Anyway, I'll let everyone know as soon as I hear from him.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

The news from Dr. Couto wasn't good....a primary bone tumor that a needle aspiration will most likely confirm. I was trying hard to be optimistic before but now I'm just...there's no word to explain it. I picked up some Metacam for him and the vet called in Tramadol to my pharmacy. I'll pick that up in the morning. I have to figure out what to give when. On the bright side, he seems to be doing very well right now...he's sleeping like a baby. He played this afternoon with Hitchie...it was drizzly and nasty so we didn't stay out too long. He ate a very good dinner. Right now, other than the limp, he's the Lewis I know and love. Dr. Couto sent me some info to look at and asked me to call or e-mail him when I've done that. Right now I don't even know what I'm thinking. BIG THANKS go out to retiredracers...she and Greg drove almost an hour last night to bring me some Rimadyl for Lewis and sat with me for over an hour. I think that helped me more than it did Lewis! I'll keep you all updated. Thanks for all the good thoughts.

siggie50_1.jpg

Ive been thinking about you guys all day. I'm sorry that it wasn't better news.

Hugs to you both.

I'm sorry the news wasn't better. I can imagine how you feel. "Shell-shocked" is probably an understatement. Sending hugs for yourself and your sweet pupper.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Prednisone is usually for inflammation, so I don't know what it has to do for the cancer. I don't remember that my Scout was put on it when she was diagnosed with bone cancer. The big thing with bone cancer is controlling the pain--It is very painful, even if the dog is being stoic. So if your vet did not prescribe pain-killers, I would demand some for your boy.

Hugs and good wishes--I hope it is the 2% other possibilities.

It is important to map out a plan. If you choose not to do the amp having the pain meds on hand and don't be afraid to use them. Know you will need to increase as needed. Circle of Greys was a big help to me.

Absolutely re the pain meds!

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

I chose not to do amputation with Jack. I started him on the meloxicam and Tramadol immediately even though his pain level was not high. It is important to not let bone pain get ahead of you. He had a very happy comfortable 6 months. We were very lucky. But I was not shy about giving him what pain meds he needed.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Update on Lewis: I can't believe how fast he went from being a little stiff to having a significant limp. I've decided not to amputate. I know him so well...it would be way too traumatic for him. SO we're going the pain management route. He's on Metacam (the dosage for his weight once a day) and Tramadol (100mg every twelve hours) and that seems to be working. I had to wait for my vet to call the Tramadol into the pharmacy so he didn't get his first dose of that until yesterday at about noon. Yesterday was a rough day for him (and me)....he really did seem to be in a lot of pain but today he is much, much better. I had to bring him in this morning after a while because I thought he was getting a little too playful with Hichie. It's really wet and muddy here and I'm scared of him slipping. He's eating like he always has (like there is not tomorrow), wagging his tail and smiling big. As long as he can do that, I'm happy. When I don't see it, I'll know our time is getting short. Santa Claus is going to build us a ramp...one of his elves came out today and took measurements and put together a materials list. That should be in place by Christmas Eve. That'll be a big help for Lewis and the other three will be able to tear out into the yard that much quicker! Please keep Lewis in your prayers for many more good days like today.

siggie50_1.jpg