Spacedog Spiff 11/19/1994 - 12/3/2008

Guest Spiff

UPDATE: Today (12/4) as I was headed back to work from lunch, I saw a beautiful vibrant rainbow -- I think it was Spiff letting me know that he'd made it just fine to the bridge...

Well, I knew this day would come - it was ever closer after Spiff turned 13, and I didn't even think he would make it to 14. But he did. He always amazed me with his will to keep going on walks and to keep pestering us for treats -- even when he legs weren't working well anymore. Spiff was staying with my in-laws while DH and I were in Japan for work for a week, and while I have been in Oxford doing some training and measurements.

He walked out of their kitchen this morning after eating breakfast, and fell on the carpet. They could hear that his leg broke. Thank god he had been taking so many different pain medications, and probably also had lost feeling in his legs from his LS, that he didn't feel any pain. The vet came and confirmed the break - They called DH for the go-ahead, and then euthanized him. I know that Spiff was getting the best of treatment and also it was good that someone was around when he broke his leg - so he didn't have to be alone for an undetermined amount of time...

But I am SO sad that I didn't get to say goodbye to my heart boy. I did know the last several months that time was getting really short for him. So I did make every day count and gave him lots of hugs and kisses... but it's never really enough is it?

Ok, enough of the sad stuff, here's a few photos of the intrepid Spacedog Spiff as I will always remember him - the best and silliest dog in the world. He always lived in the moment, looking forward with great delight to his walks and treats. He was SO well behaved, always careful, empathic about when someone wasn't feeling well - just a very kind and gentle soul - with a wild hair that meant sometimes he was sassy enough to demand to be pet or go for a walk. We're certainly going to miss our boy, but we know that he had a full and happy life.

The first weekend after we adopted him:

WornOut.jpg

Me and my boy about 8 years ago:

MeSpiff.jpg

Helping in the garden:

PICT0350.jpg

The sweet old face with the color loved off:

PICT0374.jpg

Stuffie as pillow (modeling his Suzy Award winnings!!):

8Zzzzz.jpg

My recent favorite earsies:

IlluminatedEarDo.jpg

Edited by Spiff

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so very sorry. :cry1 I particularly love that last photograph of your lovely boy.

Godspeed Spiff.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

The sweet old face with the color loved off

:wub:

I'm so sorry for your loss. I can only imagine how difficult this is for you, being so far away. I don't know what I would do. Maybe you can say goodbye by doing something with his ashes, burying or spreading them somewhere he loved? It might be better doing something like that, and otherwise remembering his as he was for the many years you had him. No one can tell you though, you have to do what feels right.

I'm truly sorry. :grouphug

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

i'm shocked and saddened to read this after having just wished spiff a happy 14th. his name was one of my favorites. you'll be missed, but remembered fondly. rest well, spiff.

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

Oh, no!!! He just celebrated his birthday, too.

I am so sorry. There are way too many new Bridge angels lately.

Rest in peace, handsome Spiff.

:grouphug

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest hannahmom

Some of those pictures of Spiff are my all time GT favorites.

I'm so sorry it was time for him to leave

Godspeed handsome, I bet you are running like mad up there at the bridge

:grouphug

Guest KelseysLackey

Oh Carolyn, I am so very sorry for your loss, and so soon after his 14th. You and your family are in my thoughts.

I know its tough being away, but I have no doubt Spiff knew just how much he was loved.

f_yellow Godspeed Handsome Spiff! f_yellow

Guest trevdog

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear this... I always loved seeing his name....

Do what your heart tells you to, he will always be in it in spirit.....and just a thought away

Guest boondog

I'm so sorry to hear of Spiff's passing. He was such a beautiful boy. Your signature was always one of my favorites. Godspeed, Spiff.

Edited by boondog

The stars in the heavens are shining a little brighter this evening. I am so sorry for the loss of your very handsome Spiff.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds