Au Revoir Boss

Guest vahoundlover

Guest vahoundlover

As some of you know from my post last week, Boss wasn't doing so good. We brought him home Wednesday night hoping we would have weeks..maybe months....praying it would not be days before we would have to say good bye. Friday his BFF Sara came and spent some time with him. :wub: I know he enjoyed visiting with her, he adored her! Saturday we took Boss up to one of our favorite places, Mill Mountain and had a hamburger and fries for a snack. He had moments of seeming to be very happy and moments when he looked like he was just SOO tired.

Sunday morning the twinkle in his eyes was gone, he wouldn't even raise his head to eat french toast. :( . Allan layed down with him for a couple of hours, I was so restless...I started cleaning :huh Allan finally got up and I layed down with Boss. He snuggled deep in my arms, sighed so lightly and I immediately knew he was slipping away....he wanted to go..... I kept kissing him on his head, telling him how much I loved him and telling him it was OK if he needed to leave. He grabbed my hand and squeezed it SO hard! I don't know how he did it, how does a paw grab your hand???? it was like he was thanking me, telling me it would be OK, letting me know how much he loved us. :weep I told Allan to call our vet. Boss was almost gone when she got here...he slipped away on his terms while we held him in our arms, telling him how much we loved him.

There is so much I want to say..... Boss was a special soul. You know the ones, who's eyes are so wise, their soul speaks volumes.....they are just different

Boss raced in Colorado, he was adopted out there and his family with him in tow moved to the east coast. Unfortunately, life doesn't always deal us an easy/fair hand. They felt they were doing the right thing when they asked a local woman (they were referred to her by their vet) to rehome him. This wasn't an easy decision, they loved Boss! They kept in touch with this woman and were told he had been adopted to a family in another state.

In 2005 the adoption world was rocked by the tragic news of hoarding by someone they thought was one of the *good guys*, someone who specialized in seniors and hard to place pups. My group, Star City, reached out to GFNC and offered help. Sara, drove down and picked up 4 dogs. I was at the kennel that night, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. :weep Boss was one of the 4. I immediately felt a connection, one look into those eyes.....you could lose yourself in his eyes.....

December 2005, I asked Sara if we could adopt Boss. I honestly thought she would say no, that she was keeping him. You see, Sara also felt that connection...she had nursed him back to health, she knew how special he was!! There were many touch and go moments, many moments of being afraid he wouldn't pull through. My dear friend surprised me, she said YES! :kiss2 So a week after his 11th birthday, we brought Boss home.... :couchjump

Boss walked into our home as if he was meant to be here, there was no adjusting period, he literally walked in the door and grabbed our hearts, he was home...

If you have made it this far, you're probably wondering how I know how Boss ended up on the east coast....

Boss's first family saw a picture in the paper, a picture of a greyhound that looked just like Boss...she called and inquired...and that inquiry led her to us...we took Boss to see his first family this past spring. We immediately felt that meeting them was the right thing to do. Just in case tho :rolleyes: I asked our communicator to talk to Boss, how did he feel about all this? She said Boss wanted to go, he had unfinished business...On our way home, Allan and I both remarked how relaxed Boss seemed, how a weight had been lifted... we both knew in our hearts that we had done the right thing.

Boss thought of himself as a star, he WAS a star! He liked nothing more than to go out and schmooze with the public, his feelings were hurt if someone walked past him without a second glance, if a child was afraid of him. He loved to be outside enjoying the fresh air, the sun on his face... enjoying all the space (his words not mine). He loved yummy treats that included crack biskies from Diane, ice cream, whip cream, hamburgers and fries.

The last 2.5 yrs has not been easy on him. He lost the use of his backend. Through the care of 2 vets, his daddy and mom as support he pulled thru. Gone tho, were the days of running in the backyard, now he would have to be leash walked...he seemed to think that was great! You know why? because that meant he could schmooze all the neighbors and schmooze he did. He has quite a large fan club. We rearranged our house to keep Boss safe, no more slippery floors, a mattress on the floor so he could sleep comfortably, Allan slept with him in case he needed something during the night. Alllan took over his care, he saw to all of his needs...Boss was *his boy* and he never let him want for anything. We watched as he went from walks around the block, to down to the church to just going down a few houses, crossing the street and back up. He never complained, he was grateful for the life he had....no complaining, no pouting...just accepting what life gave him and making the best of it. Boss was kind and gentle, he had a wonderful sense of humor, he was the perfect dog.

Boss was our Sunshine Man, he knew how to make you smile...he always made you feel like you were the greatest. Everybody was special to Boss.

As I sit here tonight, tears streaming.... for the loss of our Bossy man. Our ray of sunshine......as I look at his pictures and the memories we created together in such a short period of time...3 yrs was not enough...10 yrs would not have been enough.....a 100 years would not have been enough...he was that kind of guy. Yet in 3 yrs, we created a lifetime of memories because he was..... that kind of guy. His presence was huge, our home feels empty. We were blessed to have 3 yrs.....

th_622791bb.jpg

Godspeed my Sunshine Man, you are loved so much and will always be missed :f_red

BossDoesTheYardSale2008072.jpg

SuzyAwards2008001.jpg

CelebratingBossysLife11-29-08094.jpg

:gh_run:gh_run:gh_run:gh_run:gh_run

Edited by vahoundlover

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest hannahmom

Hope - I'm so sorry

I kept hoping I wouldn't see this thread for weeks and months and years, but it sounds like your Bossman lived and left on his own terms. Few of us get more.

Goodbye sweetheart - I bet your star is extra big - just like your heart

I am so very sorry that your special man had to leave. :cry1

Godspeed Boss.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I am so sorry. No matter how long they stay, they never stay long enough. Each day he was with you, he knew he was well loved.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Oh man, I am devastated for you. I too had hoped you had so much more time.

:(

Run Free Bossy.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I'm so sorry he couldn't stay longer. Your story of his life with you made me tear up and smile at the same time. He brought so much love to your life -- yours for him, and his for you and the wonderful times you gave him.

Godspeed, special fellow.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh sweetheart I'm so sorry it was time. Your mummy and dad are going to miss you so much. Rest well now love. :gh_lay

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

A Beautiful Tribute~Such a gentle and loving little man. You will be sorely missed by all of us here sweetheart. I know you are running and playing with our Angels and I know you are watching over your family. Run fast and forever young once more. :grouphug

My deepest sympathy. :grouphugf_yellow

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest VaGreymom

I am so very sorry. :grouphug Thank you for sharing Boss's story I know he was a real sweetie. I checked on the other thread today to see how he was doing. They are never here with us long enough.