Molly Hurt Her Foot

Molly and Fletcher were playing in the back yard when I heard her start screaming. I ran outside, expecting to see blood, bone fragments, horrible sights. Fortunately, there was none of that! She won't put any weight on her right front foot, and when I feel the leg and foot, she only reacts to my touching her foot. It has started to swell a little.

I think she either dislocated a toe that has snapped back into place, or sprained something. I know from recent first hand experience (thanks Fletcher) how painful a sprained foot is. She ate dinner, and I gave her an Ascription (sp?).

I'd like to wait and take her in tomorrow if it's still swollen, does anyone know of a reason not to wait? I don't want her in pain, but if I'm right about what it is, I don't think there's anything more they can do.

Edited by Remolacha

I would apply ice (wrapped in a cloth) to her foot. Ice will really help with the swelling at this early stage. If she will let you, soak her foot in really cold water (with a few ice cubes). It will help to keep the swelling down and will relieve her of some of the pain. If it swells a lot, I would probably take her to the vet. Otherwise, just limit her movement and try to keep the swelling down as much as possible. Make sure you check her foot really carefully to make sure there are no wounds. It doesn't sound like a 'run to the vet now' situation so I would pamper it over night and re-assess in the morning.

The Ascriptin was a good idea, that should help. If she doesn't let you ice it, I would soak in warm water and Epsom Salt which is really good for swelling. Feel better Molly! Lots of foot soaks here and Epsom Salt did the trick

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Poor Molly.

Here's a hug :grouphug and a kiss :kiss2 to make it better. Hope all is OK tomorrow.

Please update.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

well, it was still swollen this morning, so off to the vet (she hates the vet!) Miss Molly Beans has a broken toe :( Its the outside toe, she either caught it on something or Fletcher stepped on her, his nickname is Godzilla for good reason :rolleyes: Anyway, she has a splint, we go back in three weeks to check progress.

My poor baby is in pain (meds are kicking in now), but still wants to go for a walk :blink: and I thought she was a pretty smart dog :lol

Guest BlackandBrindle

oh no, poor Molly!

Those pain meds make thound eiem think that the hurt isn't there so I'm not surprised she wants to go on a walk. Maybe a car ride would suffice?

Feel better soon!

Guest BlackandBrindle

Oh dear :lol

Well maybe you should make a trip to the drive in of McD's to cheer her up :P I'm sure Fletcher would be more than happy to help her finish a small cone ;)

Poor little girl, that has to really hurt! Better get the ice cream mom, Misty says it's the best healer out there! Especially for a broken toe

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Anyway, she has a splint, we go back in three weeks to check progress.

If she seems to be having more trouble in the splint or wanting to bother it a lot, be sure to take her back to the vet early to get it checked. It's so easy to get a pressure sore under the splint.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

Ack. Sorry it wasn't just a bad bruise. Hope pupper heals quickly and well.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh dear--I was afraid of that. You might want to get a Medipaw boot to cover the splint while she goes out.

I got mine at www.sitstay.com They are sooo much better than plastic bags! Feel better!!

Oh, I wanted to add---gonna sound weird but, you should smell the splint often--anything smelling stinky you should bring her asap for a splint change (3 weeks seems like a long time for her first splint change).

Edited by tbhounds

Molly says thanks for the kind thoughts!

I thought three weeks sounded kind of long, too. I'll be keeping a close eye on it, and nose :lol thanks for that tip, I wouldn't have thought of that. We just had our first rain since August, so I'm not too concerned about keeping it dry!

She doesn't like ice cream :eek but I will be sure she has plenty of mooshies :)

Molly says thanks for the kind thoughts!

I thought three weeks sounded kind of long, too. I'll be keeping a close eye on it, and nose :lol thanks for that tip, I wouldn't have thought of that. We just had our first rain since August, so I'm not too concerned about keeping it dry!

She doesn't like ice cream :eek but I will be sure she has plenty of mooshies :)

How is my Miss Molly today?? I have been offline a few days and just saw the original post... If it isn't the Happy Tail, it's the toe.. :lol

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

Guest vahoundlover

Poor baby girl, I hope you heal up quickly!

Boss wants to know if he can have her share of ice cream. :lol

How is Miss Molly doing? Getting lots of moochies? Sending prayers for a swift recovery and a not-so-smelly-splint!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Poor Molly! My foster girlie, Halle, has the same injury. We are four weeks into it, and I am hoping she will get the splint off this coming Friday. She has gone for a check and bandage change every week, and she did have some pressure sores at one point.

Wishing Molly a speedy recovery :) .

S.jpg

How is Molly this morning? :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Can someone please come and talk to Molly? Sometimes she limps, but mostly she hops on three legs.

She hops, bounces, and barks, wanting to go for a walk! Molly, you are a gimp! You can't go walkies! I might as well be talking to the wall :rolleyes:

She is handling this much better than I am, I feel so bad for her, but her attitude is great :)

She (and Fletcher) are getting plenty of mooshies and other treats. It's going to be a long three weeks, sigh.

My sympathies. Martin broke his toe (right front outside not weight bearing) on October 1st. Just this week we let him out unsupervised for a little run around the back yard. The biggest challenges were keeping the whole thing dry and keeping him from licking his foot once the dressings/splint were removed. Our vet had us coming back every week to change the splint and dressings. At one point he had some little pressure point injuries on his foot from the bandages. One week we ended up at the vet three times for splint replacements. :wacko: It's now two months later and we took our first walk yesterday. Even then, I had him wear a little boot on it with a kiddie sock. But he's absolutely not limping outside, though he holds his foot up periodically in the house.