Taking Rudy In Today For A Thyroid Test

Guest argolola

Guest argolola

I got some great suggestions in my other thread in EEG, regarding Rudy and him seeming depressed.

Several people suggested I have his thyroid checked. After reading about the symptoms, he has quite a few:

Excessive thirst

bacterial skin infections

depression

rough coat

darkened pignentation of the skin

balding

sensitive to cold

Hopefully we will get some answers soon. I want my baby boy to be happy and healthy.

Edited by argolola

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best of luck! Are they running a full panel and sending it out? Hugs to Rudy! :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Good luck to you and Rudy. Please keep us posted.

Carl and I just started traveling down that road last Tues., got the results that afternoon, started Soloxine that night. He only had two symptoms of thyroid and only one of them was common - patterned fur loss. The other odd symptom has been clouding on his corneas (misdiagnosed once, maybe twice).

Edited by ckruzan

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

This may provide some answers. If he is low and needs medicine, Soloxine works much better than the generic medicine. I order Shanti's at omahavaccine.com.

How so? I've heard this before, but I don't understand why. (Not challenging the statement, just curious.)

Mary

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

This may provide some answers. If he is low and needs medicine, Soloxine works much better than the generic medicine. I order Shanti's at omahavaccine.com.

How so? I've heard this before, but I don't understand why. (Not challenging the statement, just curious.)

Mary

I can't tell you why, but I've observed the same thing. I had to switch Patrick off the generic because my vet's office at the time would occasionally switch the generic (very bad idea for humans or animals), but once he started taking soloxine things were better--it seemed as if the medicine was more consistent maybe?

Rudy's symptoms sure do sound like thyroid--hopefully that's what it is because it's very manageable.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Mary

I can't tell you why, but I've observed the same thing. I had to switch Patrick off the generic because my vet's office at the time would occasionally switch the generic (very bad idea for humans or animals), but once he started taking soloxine things were better--it seemed as if the medicine was more consistent maybe?

Rudy's symptoms sure do sound like thyroid--hopefully that's what it is because it's very manageable.

I had the same experience. Our vet gave me the generic for a refill once. I used it and Shanti was no longer the Shanti I knew. She got snappy and agressive and just not nice. Ordered new Soloxine and BOOM, she was back! I don't know why, but that has been my experience. I know lots of others swear by it too. I would not have believed the difference until I lived it.

The Girls

I've heard that too. Chloe gets brand name of Soloxine and for the pennies it cost- its not really a big deal.

Glad to know Rudy is getting checked soon! Please update when you can.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Mary

I had the same experience. Our vet gave me the generic for a refill once. I used it and Shanti was no longer the Shanti I knew. She got snappy and agressive and just not nice. Ordered new Soloxine and BOOM, she was back! I don't know why, but that has been my experience. I know lots of others swear by it too. I would not have believed the difference until I lived it.

Same situation for us, but not only generic vs brand name, but the different brands as well

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest ChasesMum

My dad is a pharmacist, and he insists that if you are started on one brand, you continue with that brand. No switching to generics MOST ESPECIALLY for thyroid. It seems to be especially bad for these particular meds.

Chase has always been on Thyrotabs and there she will stay, even though we have to get them through the vet.

To the OP : hopefully they do a full thyroid panel, Chase probably would have been missed if we didnt. She was off/positive on nearly everything but the T4. WEIRD!

Guest argolola

We are back from the vet. We should know something tomorrow they said.

The doctor said it's unlikely that Rudy has a thyroid problem, because he is young. I explained all the symptoms, but I guess the test will tell the tale.

He also has a fever of 104 degrees. Can someone tell me what is norm for a grey?

They also checked his glucose and it was fine.

The doctor said it's unlikely that Rudy has a thyroid problem, because he is young. I explained all the symptoms, but I guess the test will tell the tale.

He also has a fever of 104 degrees. Can someone tell me what is norm for a grey?

If I remember correctly, 101 is a normal temp. When Misty had a fever of 104, it was found that she had a UTI. And I could be wrong but if a full thyroid panel was done, not all the results will be in tomorrow. As for age, my very first Grey came to me at 3 yrs old and she came on Soloxine.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest greytexplorer

There IS a difference between brand name and generic.

It's MY prescription!! I got generic meds, and the doctor asked me how I was feeling. I told her I was tired most of the time, not much energy. She rewrote the 'script for the brand name (Synthroid), and I could tell a difference the very next time I took my meds! WOW is all I can say.

Did the vet explain the elevated temp? 104 is definitey a fever.

:kiss2 for poor ol Riley. Hope you get to feeling better, bud!

~Pat

Chloe was tested for hypothyoid at 2 years 3 months and it was 0.2 Very low clinically and she was suffering many symptons.

Does you vet treat a lot of greys?

**Please make sure he is doing a full panel, not just the T4. They keep the blood for a while so it's not too late if he hasn't ordered that. Tomorrow is not too late either.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Normal temp---101.0-102.5 Your pups temp may have been elevated because of nerves--some dogs just see the driveway to the vets and their temp starts creeping up and by the time they get in the door they are in the elevated range. Did your Doc check check for Lyme?? Attitude and appetite off--sometimes limping, fever....might be worth mentiioning????? I would re-check the temp now that you are home.

**Please make sure he is doing a full panel, not just the T4.

Ditto that! T4's are extremely inaccurate, and you don't want to medicate a nervous dog unless he really is hypothyroid!

That said, if his T4 on the basic blood panel is within "greyhound normal," there would be little reason to order the full panel. You wouldn't have a hypothyroid greyhound.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest argolola

Thanks everyone. Yes, he was nervous and also drippy nose and mouth. He was hot like that when we first brought him home from the kennel upon adoption. I will find out more about what all they are running tomorrow. As far as I know, he had the TBD tests done when he was neutered in September. Appetite-you can't fill him up. I may check into a UTI also.

I appreciate your help so much. I love this boy so much and want him to feel better.

Dude was just barely 2 when he was tested and put on thyroid. We have since taken him off and he's doing fine, but that doesn't mean he didn't need them in the beginning. We also noticed a difference between real Soloxine and the generic. I know there is a definite difference (in people anyway) between supplementing with the real hormone and with a synthetic. My Mom has to be very vigilant with her pharmacy so they don't substitute the generic as a cost saving measure.

Depending on how the tests come out you might want to get a second opinion or send the results to Dr Couto/MSU. Greyhound thyroid results are very unusual and some vets aren't familiar with them.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest greytkidsmom

Mary

With generic human meds, the FDA allows the generic to be a certain percentage weaker or stronger than the name brand medication. I imagine it is similar to canine medications. For most meds, that is okay but for meds that need to be at a certain level in the blood like thyroid meds or coumadin, there could potentially be a big difference. Of course, if you are getting regular blood tests, you can adjust the dose of the generic med to compensate but pharmacies often switch their generic suppliers.

Guest argolola

OK, we got a call from the vet. She only ran a T4 and his reading is 1.4

I told her everything I found out here and she still thinks that is not the problem. I am thinking of having him tested for a UTI. How would I collect a sample?

Guest BlackandBrindle

Get a pie plate or a tupperware and put it under him midstream and I believe that first thing in the morning is preferable. Or you could get a specimen cup from the vet and just wear gloves (I've done that too).

I'd also make her run the full panel rather than just the T4. T4 doesn't really tell you anything useful.

Hope you get some answers soon!

Easiest way to collect a sample is if he'll pee while on leash -- that way you are close enough to the dog to get some. You have leash in one hand, cup (I use a scrubbed-out yogurt or butter container) in the other, wait till he starts to pee, insert cup, you're done.

I suspect he is probably just nervous and will need some time to settle, but it never hurts to check for UTI if you can get a sample.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.