My Poor Doonie Girl...can Someone Please Help?

Guest dofarrel

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry that Doonie has gotten this terrible diagnosis. Unfortunately, there are too many of us here who know just what you are going through. I'm assuming that due to the location of the tumor, she is not a candidate for amputation, so keeping her out of pain is the most important thing you can do for her right now. So often, osteo is not diagnosed until it has progressed, and I think that is because these dogs are so stoic. They are amazing, aren't they? I'm so glad you've been in touch with Dr. Couto. There is no one more knowledgeable. You can ask him about artemisinin to see if he thinks it's worth a try. He's been doing a lot of research on it, as something to slow the osteo. You can research it online too.

This is such a sad and overwhelming time. Please know that you can come here with questions, to vent, or just talk about what you are feeling. Sometimes it helps to know that others care and understand your sadness and pain.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest dofarrel
I'm so sorry that Doonie has gotten this terrible diagnosis. Unfortunately, there are too many of us here who know just what you are going through. I'm assuming that due to the location of the tumor, she is not a candidate for amputation, so keeping her out of pain is the most important thing you can do for her right now. So often, osteo is not diagnosed until it has progressed, and I think that is because these dogs are so stoic. They are amazing, aren't they? I'm so glad you've been in touch with Dr. Couto. There is no one more knowledgeable. You can ask him about artemisinin to see if he thinks it's worth a try. He's been doing a lot of research on it, as something to slow the osteo. You can research it online too.

This is such a sad and overwhelming time. Please know that you can come here with questions, to vent, or just talk about what you are feeling. Sometimes it helps to know that others care and understand your sadness and pain.

Thanks for your support! I will definitely look into aremisinin. And yes, from what the Vet said, amputation doesn't appear to be an option, but I think I will get a second opinion to be sure.

'mike' post='3703172' date='Nov 22 2008, 10:36 AM']For maximum benefit to a dog with osteosarcoma you should be giving another medicine in combination with this one. The important thing is to keep your dog comfortable. Don't worry too much about the side effects. Previcox is a great drug but I always prescribe an additional med to go with it.te]

Mike - you seem to be a vet from your comment. Is there any specific drug that I should discuss with my vet to go along with the Previcox? We moved a few years ago, and while my old vet had a great deal of experience with Doonie, this vet has only seen her a couple of times. Other than this recent problem, she has been very healthy the entire time we've had her. (now 7+years)

Thanks for any advice,

Dave

Dave, yes I'm a vet. I would see if your vet could add another combination med like Tramadol. You need to be ahead of the pain. Pain managment is key. Osteo is one of the worst pains for canines.

Guest dofarrel
Dave, yes I'm a vet. I would see if your vet could add another combination med like Tramadol. You need to be ahead of the pain. Pain managment is key. Osteo is one of the worst pains for canines.

Thanks Mike. That's the third time Tramadol has been mentioned to me, and I have been on it before so I know its affects in humans at least as being very effective. I will definitely be making a call to the vet clinic in the morning so that hopefully I can pick some up on the way home!

Thanks again!

Dave

Sending best wishes for Doonie and for her humans :candle

If you are going to double check regarding the possibility of amputation, I would advise that you do this immediately. As in today. Time is of the essence :grouphug

Edited by Bevd

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

This is an item you can get at Walmart or Target in the generic and it will only cost you $4.00. Ask your vet for the prescription. You can get up to 3 months filled at a time.

Thanks Mike. That's the third time Tramadol has been mentioned to me, and I have been on it before so I know its affects in humans at least as being very effective. I will definitely be making a call to the vet clinic in the morning so that hopefully I can pick some up on the way home!

Thanks again!

Dave

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest dofarrel

Hi All - I just wanted to say thanks and give an update. Doonie is now also on Tramadol. Working with my vet, and given that the Previcox seems to be giving her a good 16-18 hours of pain relief, right now the plan is 50mg at about 15 hours post Previcox. If she starts to show signs that the relief from the Previcox is waning earlier, then we'll up it to 50 mg every 12 hours, and then if that isn't enough to keep her in that happy pain-free mode enough, it will be 50 every 8 hours.

Still looking into the artemisinin. Has anyone here used it with their Grey, and if so, how was it tolerated? Did it have any noticeable effect in slowing the progress of the cancer?

Thanks,

Dave

Hi All - I just wanted to say thanks and give an update. Doonie is now also on Tramadol. Working with my vet, and given that the Previcox seems to be giving her a good 16-18 hours of pain relief, right now the plan is 50mg at about 15 hours post Previcox. If she starts to show signs that the relief from the Previcox is waning earlier, then we'll up it to 50 mg every 12 hours, and then if that isn't enough to keep her in that happy pain-free mode enough, it will be 50 every 8 hours.

Still looking into the artemisinin. Has anyone here used it with their Grey, and if so, how was it tolerated? Did it have any noticeable effect in slowing the progress of the cancer?

Thanks,

Dave

No experience with Artemisinin, but I'm glad to hear you have the Tramadol on board. Keeping your girl in my prayers

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Hoping the new meds will keep your girl comfy. No advice, just sending prayers and gentle hugs for the two of you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave, I could probably be considered a cheerleader for artemisinin, since I'm always suggesting that people with osteo dogs give it a try. It is an herbal drug, and I don't think there are adverse side effects. The worse that could happen is that it wouldn't help. But it's worth a try. Dr. Couto is doing research with it, and when I told him I was giving it to Winnie, he was supportive. Like I've said before, I don't know if that is why she was with us for over 3 years after her amputation, but 3 years of artemisinin sure didn't HURT her! I think Robin M mentioned that she was giving Polli Artemix, which contains artemisinin plus other things, and may be more effective. It's also more expensive. But I believe they are worth a try. Be sure to get from a reputable source. I always got mine from Nutricology. Holley is good too. Here is a link to one site---I'm sure there are many, as well as an online group---that may give you a little more info. How is Doonie doing?

artemisinin link

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Thanks,

Dave

Yes, we use the Atemix which has the "correct" amount of ateminesin in it. Polli is 7 weeks post amp and has 3 chemos so far. She takes the Atemix which leaves no side effects. the only time I am not giving it to her is the week after chemo. She feels pretty crummy so I just let it go for that period. It is expensive, $60 for 30 pills and there is only one place to buy it, but... she needs it so I buy it.

I hope Doonie remains comfotable. She has been in my thoughts and prayers.

http://www.hepalin.com/artemix.htm

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest dofarrel
Yes, we use the Atemix which has the "correct" amount of ateminesin in it. Polli is 7 weeks post amp and has 3 chemos so far. She takes the Atemix which leaves no side effects. the only time I am not giving it to her is the week after chemo. She feels pretty crummy so I just let it go for that period. It is expensive, $60 for 30 pills and there is only one place to buy it, but... she needs it so I buy it.

I hope Doonie remains comfotable. She has been in my thoughts and prayers.

http://www.hepalin.com/artemix.htm

Thanks Robin!

Guest dofarrel
How's Doonie doing?

Right now, with the Previcox once daily and the Tramadol to cover the last four hours or so before her next Previcox, she's doing very well from what I can tell. She is very happy, loving her food and her cuddles and otherwise (asside from the limp) seems to be very happy.

Guest dofarrel
Dave, I could probably be considered a cheerleader for artemisinin, since I'm always suggesting that people with osteo dogs give it a try. It is an herbal drug, and I don't think there are adverse side effects. The worse that could happen is that it wouldn't help. But it's worth a try. Dr. Couto is doing research with it, and when I told him I was giving it to Winnie, he was supportive. Like I've said before, I don't know if that is why she was with us for over 3 years after her amputation, but 3 years of artemisinin sure didn't HURT her! I think Robin M mentioned that she was giving Polli Artemix, which contains artemisinin plus other things, and may be more effective. It's also more expensive. But I believe they are worth a try. Be sure to get from a reputable source. I always got mine from Nutricology. Holley is good too. Here is a link to one site---I'm sure there are many, as well as an online group---that may give you a little more info. How is Doonie doing?

artemisinin link

Thanks for the added information. After researching a lot I am now pondering something for when I adopt my next Grey. Given what seems to be a high rate of OSA in Greys and the lack of side-effects for Artemisinin, is it not something that should be used as a regular supplement once they reach a certain age? While I doubt it would prevent OSA, it seems that it would be likely to have the benefits of slowing the progression and perhaps reducing the likelihood of metastasis.

Any thoughts anyone?

Sending more prayers for your sweet baby girl this morning. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest dofarrel

Hello All,

It is with a sad heart but a happy soul that I report that today was the day that Amanda and I helped Doonie along to her final destination. She had a stumble last night and she spent the whole night in pain. Her breathing was not right, and she whined throughout the night and into the morning. Her meds did not seem to help enough and she gave me that look this morning, and we knew that it was time.

We took her to the vet at 1:00 this afternoon, and said our final goodbyes, and held her throughout.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and prayers. Doonie's mummy and dad appreciate it, and when she left us she did so surrounded with love. I spent the last week reading all of the stories of loss posted here, and I realized that while we all have felt the loss at one time or another, we have all realized what a blessing it is to have special animals in our lives. Doonie will be missed, and the house will feel a little bit empty. Doonie is survived by her loving brother Sam (an 8 year old large Munsterlander who is also a rescue), and her loving brothers Gonzo, Juju and sister Mojo (3 feline rescues.)

Sncerely and with many thanks,

Dave

I am so sorry for your loss. Take comfort in knowing that your sweet girl is at peace, pain free and running once again with the wind.

I do hate cancer.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds