Hannah Has Gone Blind

Guest hannahmom

Guest hannahmom

We just got back from the E vet

Hannah has SARD

http://www.eyecareforanimals.com/sard.php.

Onset was today - she could see fine @ 5:30 breakfast, couldn't see for a 10:30 walk

She has approx 20 % of vision left in 1 eye, the vet expects that to be gone in a week, and then my little poop disturber will be 100 % blind.

Other than her eyes, she really healthy.

I'm worried about the psychological impact

She did find the yard, went potty and came in for a drink by herself, so that's positive - right?

Prayers for my Monkey Girl as she learns to navigate through life without her sight

Edited by hannahmom

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SoulsMom

OMG! What a shock to the both of you. Wow, I'm sure she'll adjust ok, but how scary! And how ironic for a sighthound to lose her sight. How are YOU? Are you doing ok? I would be a mess . . . . .

Edited by SoulsMom

How shocking for you all :(

I'm sure she will adjust even better than you think right now.

There is a site that I know of which is UK based and dedicated to blind dogs. I'll find the link and post it here.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Oh no! :( There isn't anything that can be done? We'll be thinking of your girl. Sounds like she is hanging in there. Hope she can learn how to move around without her vision. These hounds are certainly amazing...she will probably do just fine! Keep us updated. :goodluck

Here is the link http://www.pepedog.com/

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

OMG- I am totally without words but yes, she sounds like she is going to do fine. I'm sure you will have to modify as needed. Loads of prayers to you both.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Tena, I'll get the book in the mail Monday morning. One thing I forgot to mention to you, watch her intake of water and food, because of the stress of going blind so suddenly, some SARDS dogs will test borderline for Cushings. Typically once they've adjusted to being blind their cortisol levels will drop into the normal range. Just something to look out for. There is an entire chapter in the book I'm sending on SARDS and it's relationship to Cushings. It's a great source of information and will help immensely.

It also mentions in the book that it can take several months for her to adjust to being blind so don't get discouraged if the going is slow. I found myself getting depressed because Emmy started out fine but then stopped learning as quickly and we took several major steps back with Emmy also (probably related to the tumor).

I also put different Glade room deodorizers in each room so she could tell by the scent where she was and you'll probably have to teach her stairs all over again. It's going to be emotional for both of you but I know you can get through this!!! I'm always here to help if I can.

A huge hug to you because I know exactly how you're feeling right now.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest hannahmom
OMG! What a shock to the both of you. Wow, I'm sure she'll adjust ok, but how scary! And how ironic for a sighthound to lose her sight. How are YOU? Are you doing ok? I would be a mess . . . . .

Me - I want to cry, but that won't help Hannah

I need to find some bells for the boys so she can find them, determine how to deal with the stairs, and study for a major accounting exam.

The vet says she's in no pain, nor will she be, but that the lack of vision is inevitable, irreversible and permanent.

Guest EmilyAnne

I had a dog who was totally blind for four years, and he did very well. He cont'd to playbow and run in the yard and etc. We had to keep the floor space and yard space CLEAR, and never move anything. I once moved the kids jungle gym and he ran smack into it and wouldn't run for awhile after that. My house is also wheelchair friendly (wide clear paths to get through house) for my husband, so I believe this made my house more blind dog friendly as well. For the stairs, Alfalfa prefered to listen to our other dog go first, and then he would carefully go down. I never let him do stairs alone and gated the stairs.

How sad for both of you...hopefully you'll both learn to cope and all will be ok soon.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

OMG. What a horrible shock. For all of you. I don't know what to say. Except that from what I've heard, the human has more trouble adjusting than the dog.

:goodluck and :grouphug

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Sending prayers. Wish I were close enough to be of help. Hugs and best luck with your sweetest girl, and on your exam too.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

My God, I am so sorry.I know that Judy will be a wealth of knowledge for you but like Hilda said, if there is anything, anything at all I can do to help, I'm hoping you would never hesitate to speak up. Judy warned me to watch Misty's vision as she has Cushings.Connie(Ckruzan) is also dealing with SARD's with Shelia. You are both in my prayers

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I'm just curious--what was her behavior today that lead you to realize she had gone blind (or to take her to the vet)?

No advice, only :grouphug . Oh, maybe a little advice: I'd make sure to do something she loves with her every day, like take her for a solo walk or do a little training with tasty treats, or something so she has something joyful to look forward to each day during the hard work of readjusting to her blindness.

The only blind dog I ever met (non greyhound) amazed me with her abilities. She was 11 and had gone blind withing the past year or so (not suddenly like your pup, though) and was at the shelter I volunteer at. When I walked her, she knew just where all the turn-offs were and had no trouble at all crossing the railroad tracks and going up and down the grade there. I forgot she was blind more than once, but sometimes she bumped her nose on fences she was hurrying up to for sniffing purposes. Her nose was very important to her! (She is now in foster care instead of at the shelter).

Guest hannahmom
I'm just curious--what was her behavior today that lead you to realize she had gone blind (or to take her to the vet)?

A few things.

I went to get my winter tires on, and when I came back it was time for a walk

I literally had to drag her down the road, and we were back in less than 10 minutes as she would NOT walk.

Highly unusual behaviour

Then, when I told DH, he mentioned that while I was gone; she had flopped down almost on top of Chinghis

She likes her sapce, so again, unusual

Then, she got up and started walking aimlessly, bumping into stuff and acting confused.

I thought she was having a stroke or seizure, but nothing else pointed to that

I called her over to me, and she slowly and hesitantly came over, but stopped when I stopped verbally encouraging her.

I offered a treat, but didn't give the verbal cues. She had no clue the Milkbone was there.

We then did some basic vision tests here, called the E vet and off she went

There was no sign of trauma, but I wanted to ensure that there was nothing underlying that we needed to treat

I think I knew before I ever got to the vet that she'd gone blind.

It's going to take her a while to put her "nose" in gear. Since greyhounds are sight hounds they're used to using their eyes for everything. She has to kind of rewire her brain to use her nose instead. It may take a while. One thing I noticed with Emmy is that she stopped taking treats from our hands. We could put them on her bed and she would get them but from the hand she would refuse. You may have to put her food bowl right at her nose so she knows it's there.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

It is so sad that Hannah's lost her sight but I promise she will manage ok.

Animals seem to accept easier than humans as they don't live in the past just the now, and her other senses hearing, smell, touch, taste will take over the loss of her eyesight.

I can speak from experience as my Tess went slowly blind and we all coped fine for quite a few years and she didn't miss out on a thing......

Sadly she went deaf as well over time and it was only then that she lost her will to live (her being in a dark place and not hearing) only touch and smell, she went off her food and would only eat 'big soup' as it was smelly, hot and easy to eat, after a mild stroke she stopped eating and the kindest thing we could do, we did.......

Edited: to say she did live until 16 yrs old!

Live everyday like it's your last and don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today.....

Lots of treats and hugs and act as normal as you can, make sure there's no sharp corners on furniture and doors are left open all the time oh yes and have a centrifugal living room (everything against the walls), BTW the different air freshners in each room is a good idea.

Edited by crazygang

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose