Excessive Urination, Thirst,

Guest FullMetalFrank

Guest FullMetalFrank

Frankie is having some potty issues. He started having pee accidents in the house when left even for an hour or less. This is not his usual behavior. Now I am noticing he is drinking more water; and this evening we had to leave for around and hour to go to a city council meeting, I put down a towel for him just in case and gated him in the tiled kitchen/entryway. When we got home, the towel was soaked. An oversized fluffy bath towel, almost completely wet. He is asking to go out more often, taking long pees, and drinking a lot of water. UTI immediately comes to mind, and tomorrow I am going to try and get a sample and get him in to the vet, but what other things could this be?

Edited by FullMetalFrank

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest EmilyAnne

Excessive thirst and urination was how I figured out my late pointer had diabetes. Diabetes is very treatable though. My pointer had it in the last 4 years of his life.

Guest FullMetalFrank

Diabetes was the first thing that came to my mind, too... I am a diabetic after all! How common is canine diabetes? This has come on not too suddenly, but not over a long time period, either. Any other symptoms?

Guest EmilyAnne
Diabetes was the first thing that came to my mind, too... I am a diabetic after all! How common is canine diabetes? This has come on not too suddenly, but not over a long time period, either. Any other symptoms?

Another big symptom is no appetite.

I think diabetes though is more common in overweight pets, and Frank isn't overweight is he?

How are Franks stools? If they are dry, this could be indicative of kidney problems.

Is Frank on any meds? How long has he been on them?

Guest FullMetalFrank

No, he isn't overweight, and he does have a good appetite. Stools are normal, and he is not on any meds other than glucosamine, which he has been on for about a year. In other words, other than the frequent urination, thirst, and going in the house, he is normal for him.

Edited by FullMetalFrank

Guest funaro821

Hi Frankie,

The vet put my Brindy on Proin 50 mg for her peeing issues. Although he indicated it was more common with females once they get about 8 years old. It's an antihistamine that allows the bladder to contract...thus controlling the bladder. We've had no problems since she went on the medication.

I'm not sure if this is the same problem or not. Whatever it is...good luck!

Michelle in Connecticut

Brindy's Mom

UTI is the first that comes to mind. These are also the signs I saw in Misty who has recently been dx with Cushings. Has his appetite increased?

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Sending prayers it is just the old UTI that will clear right up on antibiotics. We had a pupper long ago that was diabetic...she was at her ideal weight when diagnosed. They actually were thinking Cushings but it was diabetes. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

My first thought as others have already noted is diabetes. However a UTI is also a possibility. If it is a UTI insist on a longer than the customary 10 day course of antibiotics they usually put them on to treat this. From what I've read recently for UTI and bladder infections the recommended course is at least 4 to 6 weeks. Anything really shorter than this is just killing of the weak germs and allowing the stronger ones to survive and become resistant to antibiotics.

Judy,

Mom to Greyhounds Nadir & Beanie,

and American Bulldog Bruiser

Guest FullMetalFrank

Thanks everyone for your input; we have collected a urine sample, it's in the fridge and we have an appointment this afternoon, crossing fingers it's something simple. Poor boy had another accident in the house this morning and has been out to potty three more times since.

Thanks everyone for your input; we have collected a urine sample, it's in the fridge and we have an appointment this afternoon, crossing fingers it's something simple. Poor boy had another accident in the house this morning and has been out to potty three more times since.

Hoping for something simple to treat. Please be sure and have them culture the urine.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

Sahara is at the vet's office today because of the same symptoms, though it sounds like Frankie is going a bit more often. Here's hoping they both have easy to treat UTIs!

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds

Guest FullMetalFrank

The closer his appointment time is, the more I am worried. He is my baby, and my heart. I know it's something simple; but the mention of kidneys and Cushings and diabetes, and I worry. I had to make the appt. for this afternoon because my back is still whacked and Frank does KNOT like his new vet's office and I kind of have to wrestle him in there, so I needed reinforcements! Gene and Tiff will be home at 4.

The vet does have an in-house lab so hopefully we will get some quick results or at last rule out what it isn't this afternoon, and I will ask them to culture the urine (is this so they get the right antibiotic for the job?)

The closer his appointment time is, the more I am worried. He is my baby, and my heart. I know it's something simple; but the mention of kidneys and Cushings and diabetes, and I worry. I had to make the appt. for this afternoon because my back is still whacked and Frank does KNOT like his new vet's office and I kind of have to wrestle him in there, so I needed reinforcements! Gene and Tiff will be home at 4.

The vet does have an in-house lab so hopefully we will get some quick results or at last rule out what it isn't this afternoon, and I will ask them to culture the urine (is this so they get the right antibiotic for the job?)

Yes, a culture will indicate what antibiotic, but also, a lot of times a UA will show no bacteria and then once they grow a culture, it'll show bacteria. It's the only true way to be sure of a UTI. Don't let this scare you!! I know it's easier said than done, but all can be controlled. I've never dealt with Diabates, but I can tell you about kidney disease and Cushings, dealing with both now. Hoping for something simple!!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Guest littlefrankie

Will not get the results back until tomorrow (he is having a CBC as well as urine culture done) The vet said his urine had a low specific gravity and was quite dilute; since he has been drinking so much water.) She listed off all of the possibilities discussed in this thread (kidneys, diabetes, UTI, cushings, thyroid) so they are going to be thorough with ruling things out before we take any action. A UTI was not immediately evident. Turns out he has lost three pounds since his last visit in Sept. though...

Frankie was the sweetest, best patient, bringing the whole family was a plus as it helped him to not be scared (I think he thought we were just going for something fun) and he was relaxed enough to even take a couple of treats and give a second urine sample (the one we got this morning wasn't usable even though it was refrigerated, apparently they want a fresh one! LOL) The staff loves him.

So, it's wait and see, our vet isn't in tomorrow but one of the other vets will call with the results and I'll ask for them to be faxed as well so I have a copy. Thank you for everyone's good thoughts!

Oops, posting as Tiffany again, this is MOM!

Edited by littlefrankie

Waiting is the worst!! Diabetes will be the quickest to rule out. We'll be waiting with you and hoping for an "easy fix" Give that boy a hug from us please. How's his appetite?

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg