Not Again!

Guest DeweytheGreyt

Guest DeweytheGreyt

Some of you may remember that when we brought Fallon home almost 2 years ago he had a horrible skin infection on his side. After 12 months of antibiotics, anitfungals, thyroid meds, special shampoo, switch to a grain free diet, etc, we got him all cleared up. During the time of his skin infection he went from a furry, fluffy dog to nearly naked.

Since then he has had weird licking tendencies. I posted some time back about him acting like he had bugs on him. Constantly looking at his hind end and licking as if a bug had bitten him. He was also doing a weird head tilt thing and looking up into the air for periods of time. All the while he continued to regrow his hair.

th_101_0535.jpg

Since switching him to a grain free diet, some of this has subsided. The licking has still continued, and now all of his hair is falling out again. I cannot begin to explain what it is like to see a dog go from furry to nearly naked in a span of about 2 weeks. We have an appointment to have his thyroid rechecked next week. Our vet also discussed the possibility of a liver shunt causing the licking. Thinking that the liver isn't being able to process the blood and toxins are going to his brain causing it to misfire resulting in feeling like he has bugs on him. Due to his age, a liver shunt is a slim possibility.

If not a liver shunt, the next thought is a spinal or brain issue. Both of these things would explain the "bug" reaction but I still have no explanation of the complete hair loss. His liver values and white blood cell counts are normal. I guess I'm just at a total loss and totally don't know what to do for him now. Once we know that his thyroid levels are ok, my next step is to take him to a chiropractor and acupuncturist. I will do the MRI if absolutely necessary, but $1500 is a stiff bill to swallow especially since it may not be conclusive.

Thoughts?

I don't really have any advice, but Dazzle does the same bug thing too. Every so often (mainly when he's up and playing) he'll get distracted and act like something just bit him on the butt. He stops, turns to sniff his back end, and then goes back to whatever he was doing. He's done this the whole time I've had him, and some weeks it's more frequent than others.

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Guest turbospeed

I'd check with some of the university's and teaching programs for the vets. I have a friend that just recently got all of her dog's testing done because a student was doing them under the supervision of the vet and it didn't cost her a dime!

You may also want to email Claudia at Greyhound Gang, because she has really good advice, especially with hounds who have special needs and problems.

Turbospeed

Daisy is a white dog also and she had food allergies when we got her. She licked so much she had a few small bare spots and a couple of big ones that turned yellow from extensive licking. It took nearly a year for that to stop and the yellow to go away. I still haven't completely figured out what she's allergic to, so we avoid pretty much everything but her prescription diet food.

A couple of things occur to me to ask about Fallon. First, does his fur fall out all over or just where he licks? If it's falling out in areas where he can't reach (like between his shoulders/neck) then it suggests something systemic, rather than being caused by the licking itself. Second, have you been able to rule out seizure activity? If not, then can you do a trial of an epilepsy med to see if the behavior would stop? That might be a bit drastic, but would be MUCH less expensive than an MRI. Have you changed ANYTHING in your environment or Fallon's diet? Any new treats, any new laundry detergent, new rug, new dog bed? Could it be an extreme reaction to a seasonal allergen--like people w hay fever?

There are some herbal-type remedies that aid liver function. Maybe someone can jump in to tell you the name of it, because I don't recall what it is.

I wish you both a lot of luck. I know how frustrating it can be and Daisy's licking wasn't nearly as severe as poor Fallon.

DD

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest DeweytheGreyt
A couple of things occur to me to ask about Fallon. First, does his fur fall out all over or just where he licks? If it's falling out in areas where he can't reach (like between his shoulders/neck) then it suggests something systemic, rather than being caused by the licking itself. Second, have you been able to rule out seizure activity? If not, then can you do a trial of an epilepsy med to see if the behavior would stop? That might be a bit drastic, but would be MUCH less expensive than an MRI. Have you changed ANYTHING in your environment or Fallon's diet? Any new treats, any new laundry detergent, new rug, new dog bed? Could it be an extreme reaction to a seasonal allergen--like people w hay fever?

DD

He is losing the hair everywhere. Most predominatnly on his neck, rear, chest, in between his shoulders, and the top of his rump. He really isn't loosing hair where he is licking which is the weird part. We have not ruled out seizure activity as our vet recommends a MRI before prescribing seizure meds. Nothing has changed in Fallon's environment or diet in nearly a year. No different detergents, rugs, dog beds, no new cleaning supplies etc.

We had seen a vet at the University of Wisconsin Vet school in the beginning with Fallon's infection. At that time she had suggested an allergy test for him, but warned us that it would be painful and usually cannot exactly pinpoint the allergen. I just feel helpless.

I'm so sorry, this sounds so very frustrating. I'd say it's time to contact Dr. Couto's group at Ohio State.

Donna

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest DeweytheGreyt
Kat, so sorry to hear you're having issues again!!! I've got no advice, but plenty of mojitos if you need them.

On a side note, TWO YEARS already?? It seems like yesterday that you got Fallon!

I know, hard to believe right? It has been such a rollercoaster with him. I just want him to be happy and well.

I'm so sorry, this sounds so very frustrating. I'd say it's time to contact Dr. Couto's group at Ohio State.

We have been in contact with Dr. Couto as well. He was very helpful in diagnosing Fallon's infection. I will be sending off all of our new test results to him, but at this point he's just as stumped as we are.

Monty had some major skin issues. Maybe his mom will see this and offer some advice. Hope you get some answers soon.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

How was his hypothyroid condition diagnosed? What dosage is he on?

The symptoms you describe, particularly the odd itchy behavior, are all symptoms of hypERthyroid. Probably of a bunch of other things, too, but that is something I would want to check out.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I ran this by my DH, who is a pharmaceutical researcher--he does skin/drug patch research. I asked him about possible causes of systemic alopecia (hair/fur loss) in dogs and he suggested considering the following (some of which I'm sure you've considered, but the heavy metal was one I'd never thought of):

Heavy metals like lead, radiation, anything that slows down cell growth (like chemo would), glandular or endocrine issues, parasites.

He also asked: Do dogs get shingles?

We also chatted about the head tilting, and wondered about ear problems....

FWIW,

DD

Donna

Kat, I'm going thru something similar with Patsie. She got a couple hot spots between her shoulders, and near the base of her tail about a month ago and then she started getting little red lesions on her legs, and ears, it looked similar to shingles. She was itchy and her hair started falling out all over; she has thick soft bunny fur so it'll be a long time before she'd ever be bald.

The vet thinks it's an auto immune disease caused from a flea bite, but I can't think of the big long name he called it. We're treating her with antibiotics(clavamox) and she received a steroid injection, and there's been a big improvement. I'm also bathing her once a week with chlorhexiderm shampoo, and spraying her daily with 4% chlorhexiderm to help with the itchies. We also checked her liver values and they were normal.

You might want to ask your vet about the possibility of an autoimmune disease and maybe try treating Fallon with steroids to see if he improves.

Hugs to you and Fallon.

Edited by AngelWhispers

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

The things that come to mind are:

autoimmune

epilepsy (licking behaviour)

allergy (though seems more unlikely)

pain (arthritis in his joints perhaps causing a stress reaction ie: hair loss, and obsessive licking)

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest DeweytheGreyt

This is why :wubsite I had never thought about an autoimmune disease or heavy metals! We had just been so focused on the skin itself and his low thyroid that it never crossed my mind. We have an appointment with our regular vet next Tuesday and I will be sure to ask her then. We do have hard water at our place, could that be the culprit? How do I go about getting my water tested?

His thryoid test was run by Michigan State three times within about 6 months. That is how we determined he was low. You're right Batmom, his symptoms do suggest hyperthyroid and yet another reason we are puzzled. We have had his ears checked and they got a clean bill of health. Having grown up with beagles, when they did the head tilt/shake thing we knew it was an ear issue.

Seriously, those ideas have made me feel better. I was just so at a loss and running out of ideas. I now have more ammo to check with my vet. I'll keep everyone posted, but if you think of anything else, please let me know!

No advise to give but I totally understand where your coming from. I've been chasing a problem with Nadir for 2 yrs now. He goes in for an MRI Monday, the cost of which I really do not have the money for and that doesn't fix the problem, just hopefully will give some kind of answer so we know the best direction to go. I will keep you and Fallon and the hopes for a solution to her problem that is works best for her in my thoughts.

Judy,

Mom to Greyhounds Nadir & Beanie,

and American Bulldog Bruiser

No advice here, sorry, but I sure have a lot of prayers for your boy. This all sounds so frustrating!! Hoping for a resolution soon!

Have to tell you, my newest, Nico (Nicholas), apparently has had issues with skin infections before and does the same looking like something bit him, looking into the air, snapping at imaginary flies routine. They look SO much alike. I really have to wonder if there's something hereditary going on, although I haven't had him long enough to know if he loses hair when he has skin issues...

NickandKelly004.jpg

I will watch your information, it might be really helpful to me too! Good luck to Fallon.

Meri & the Dorg
with Little Lee from Eetaly (Raider Retire), Freya FooFoo (Writers Block), Brodie (never raced), and "foster" JJ (Rossmore Judith). Missing Bravo, Chickie, Nico, Meri Carol, Lucky II, Ringo, Mylie, Bull, Geordie, Shae-Leigh, Stretch, Dustin, Cooper, Lucky, and Heidi.

Guest VanillaBean

The only thing that got one of my girls to stop licking, itching, losing hair is getting her adjusted by a chriopractor.

Have to tell you, my newest, Nico (Nicholas), apparently has had issues with skin infections before and does the same looking like something bit him, looking into the air, snapping at imaginary flies routine. They look SO much alike. I really have to wonder if there's something hereditary going on, although I haven't had him long enough to know if he loses hair when he has skin issues...

I will watch your information, it might be really helpful to me too! Good luck to Fallon.

That sounds like focal seizure activity.

Guest DeweytheGreyt
No advice here, sorry, but I sure have a lot of prayers for your boy. This all sounds so frustrating!! Hoping for a resolution soon!

NickandKelly004.jpg

What a handsome boy! Once upon a time, my Fallon boy was that furry all over. It's funny, in the last year our group has taken in a few other white dogs from the track and each of them had one type of skin condition or another. I wonder if there is any correlation with coat color?

My greyhound had terrible GI problems when I got him 3 years ago. He also had red, irritated feet from constant licking, which indicated allergies. I didn't worry much about his feet because he had other, more serious problems. I ended up putting him on a raw diet because he was real skinny & losing weight because he was unable to digest anything processed. His digestion improved and I was able to get him up to a healthy weight, which is what I was after. But after he stabilized, I noticed that he no longer chewed his feet.

Feeding raw is not cheap or easy, but it is much easier and cheaper than extensive vet tests. It probably won't fix his problem, but who knows, maybe it will. It might be worth a try.

Guest DeweytheGreyt

We see our regular vet on Tuesday evening for a thyroid and liver function test. After that we are off to try acupuncture. I'll be sure to keep everyone updated.

I also wanted to thank everyone for their thoughts. A lot of really good stuff has been brought up here that we hadn't even considered. Once again, :wubsite