We Are 3 Days Post Chemo And Still Not Eating.

RobinM

Guest PiagetsMom

Oh, Robin :grouphug I've had a PITA eater and it's enough to make you want to pull your hair out! I know you're frustrated - and worried! - and I'll bet Polli feels that, too. I swear my girl, Piaget, can be the most stubborn girl in the world when she knows that I want her to do something! Not that that's Polli's problem......I'm sure the upset stomach is more than enough reason at the moment.

I have nothing new to suggest - like you said, it's all been pretty well covered - so I'll just keep sending good thoughts your way and hope for better news from you!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

She isn't having a problem keeping anything down, thank goodness. She's just not interested in eating.

I'm not having a good night.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

We sorta ate.

Shredded chicken. At least a cup. A load of cookies today (which could be why she is nauseous!!!).

I guess I should get her a vitamin cuz she is not getting the nurtrients from the kibble. Chicken is better than nothing.

I am emotinally wiped beyond belief and I look like something the cat dragged in. Literally.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Robin, do you know what the dosage was on the Cerenia Polli got? Was it the injection or pills? I remember our vet telling me that sometimes the Cerenia dose that vets prescribe is not nearly enough to really help. We are going to the vet tomorrow and I will ask about Bonnie's dosage.

Take care of yourself and hang in there. :grouphug

I know that frustration all to well :( Don't worry about nutrition right now, just give her what she'll eat, in 10 small meals if that's what it takes! Sugar lived on vanilla Ensure for days at a time, and while that has calories, it's not great nutrition :rolleyes:

:candle :candle :candle :candle

If you need to, go outside and scream, throw something, do whatever it takes to ease the stress :bighug

I'm not familiar with Cerenia (just googled it, though). But when my Odd Cat was on chemo, I was giving him Zofran. It was expensive (I paid about $300 for 9 pills), but it worked. My vet didn't stock it - they gave me a script & I went to the drugstore. I frequently give it at work to nauseated patients & it works like a charm.

Like Lynn said, just let her eat whatever she wants at this point, even if it's only milk bones or whatever, as long as she's keeping it down.

:grouphug

PLEASE ask for Zofran. Angel LaceyLaine did very well on the Zofran. DH Fred takes it now on his chemo days. It is VERY cheap at Costco. When I got Lacers script I took it to CVS Pharmacy and they wanted $832.00...I got it at Costco for $37.00. We also use Zofran in surgery so our patient's don't wake up sick to their tummys. Ask your vet to write a script for the generic Zofran. Sending more prayers...I have been where you are and I know it is not easy. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Robin, is there any way you can take a rest, like a nap or a walk? Sounds like you could really use a break :grouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest PiagetsMom
We sorta ate.

Shredded chicken. At least a cup. A load of cookies today (which could be why she is nauseous!!!).

I guess I should get her a vitamin cuz she is not getting the nurtrients from the kibble. Chicken is better than nothing.

I am emotinally wiped beyond belief and I look like something the cat dragged in. Literally.

You're right, something's better than nothing!

As far as the state you're in, you're doing a great job over there with Polli, and the good news is, the pups don't give a darn what you look like, and your DH understands and loves you....... :grouphug

Go take a long, hot bath........tomorrow will be better!

I'm with Patricia and the Zofran. When Nikki was going thru chemo for lymphosarcoma Zofran made all the difference in the world. As far as food is concerned, let her eat what she wants to eat, whenever she wants to, however much she wants to. She can make up for it later! Please take care of yourself! She needs to know that you're OK. WE need to know that you're OK - especially with all you have gone through! You and Polli have an army in the trenches! BTW: I just gave away the last of the baby food meats that Nikki wouldn't eat either.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Thanks everyone. You are all amazing. The support is overwhelming.

Tonight was a rough one. Beau was non stop ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOing for attention, a walk, a kiss, something. I took him alone which got me out of the house and Beau got a walk. Mind you, he had had close to a mile 2 hours earlier. He LIVES for walks. DH had night court this evening so I was on my own and it just all got to me.

My cat boxes were overloade... and it just wasn't a good night.

I will see if Ms. PITA wants the rest of the chicken, if not, I am going to call it a night.

Thank you all again. I didn't realize the tone of my posts, but you all sure did. I'm OK, because I have to be.

Robin, definitely put down the bowls and step away from the supper dish! :P The more you're stressing over this, the more Polli is feeling your anxiety and is less likely to chow down. If she doesn't want to eat, take it away, try again in 1/2 hour. Sometimes, when you put a cafeteria in front of their noses, their switch turns off and they have no interest.

I've found that the cans of Hills A-D go over well, and they're high in fat and calories. Strained baby meats are also very stinky and my guys have always gone for them even when they turn everything else away. The Ensure is a great idea, if she'll take it. I bought the Ensure Plus for my osteo girl Charming, and it kept her going for a long time.

You'll find something she likes. Great news that she ate the chicken. Tomorrow she may decide there's something else she's willing to try. But try to relax and be upbeat in front of Polli so your anxiety isn't transmitted to her. Then, put on your running shoes, blast your ipod and go for a walk or run. Be sure to sing along to the music -- loudly -- so all your neighbors will think you're a nut. :youcrazy

Hugs to you and Polli. It *will* get better!

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Guest EmilyAnne

You said your husband was away at night court tonight right? Henry wouldn't eat his supper tonight either. He ate two bites, and then left it. As soon as my husband came in the house and he greeted him, Henry walked over to his food and ate it all. You may have a better chance of feeding Polli when everyone is home?

Oh, Robin, I wish I lived closer to you! I think any one of us would be glad to come to your house and walk your dogs and clean your litterboxes and try to talk some sense into Polli! Seriously, as well as being nauseated, she could be feeling your stress about the not eating situation. I agree that you might try stepping away from the supper dish too. Don't push the variety too hard, and try again later. This is the hideous part of chemo. It is such a roller coaster, and when we're going through it, it's natural to obsess. You just become consumed with it, and it's much easier said than done to not let that happen.

Please keep us posted, and know that you and Polli are in our prayers.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

She wound up eating all the chicken which was a large boiled chicken breast shredded up. She also in the course of the day ate a handful of dried chicken tenders, a handful of zukes, a handful of peanut butter cookies and severl other cookies.

She apparenty likes the hard crunchie things, but not kibble.

So all in all, she did eat, but how we got there was a bit s frustrating.

We are on day 4 and I expect some changes today.

You hear that Ms. Polli!

Guest SoulsMom

Oh, I'm so relieved to hear this. You sound like you are at the end of your rope like me and you have been through much, much more. I know, I'm a wuss. But I can hear in your posts exaclty what I'm feeling. :crying

Guest EmbersDad
She wound up eating all the chicken which was a large boiled chicken breast shredded up. She also in the course of the day ate a handful of dried chicken tenders, a handful of zukes, a handful of peanut butter cookies and severl other cookies.

She apparenty likes the hard crunchie things, but not kibble.

So all in all, she did eat, but how we got there was a bit s frustrating.

We are on day 4 and I expect some changes today.

You hear that Ms. Polli!

good girl polli! the mantra is doggie num nums are good....doggie num nums are good....doggie num nums are good

Guru%20Dev%201.JPG

I'm so sorry that you're going through this. I have no advice, but I wish you much strength and Polli much hunger.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

I glad to hear she did eat some :) I hope today is better, you just eat Ms Picky Polli!

I just offered Polli the rotissere chicken that we went out to buy. I wish you could see her lying next to the food. The other dogs and cat are interested.

It's too early for her.

So far today she had 9 zuke cookies, 1/2 milk bone and 4 chicken jerkys.

Here we go again....

Stay tuned.

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug You both are in our thoughts and prayers, I can imagine how frustrating it must be, but I am happy to hear she ate a little bit.We will continue to pray she starts to eat more.

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest EmbersDad
I glad to hear she did eat some :) I hope today is better, you just eat Ms Picky Polli!

I just offered Polli the rotissere chicken that we went out to buy. I wish you could see her lying next to the food. The other dogs and cat are interested.

It's too early for her.

So far today she had 9 zuke cookies, 1/2 milk bone and 4 chicken jerkys.

Here we go again....

Stay tuned.

here is the recipe for the fat balls

Try this to put weight back on your pup. It was designed by a Deerhound owner for her hound named "Satin" who decided to starve herself after she delivered a litter of pups. (Not an uncommon experience for IW's and DH owners.)

5 pounds of CHEAP hamburger (maybe substitute ground chicken..or turkey?)

1 box of oatmeal (whole thing)

1 12 ounce jar of wheat germ

1 1/2 cups of dark molasses

5-6 eggs

It's probably best to make this up in the kitchen sink------easy to clean up from . make up a bunch of meat balls a little bigger than a golf ball.

Heat oven to 350' and bake for approx 30 minutes or until there is no raw meat left. Then cool and freeze what you need to store. I give two or three of them twice a day in their kibble. Dogs go nuts over them. You can feed them raw but be careful about the egg thing. I prefer to cook them. No nutrients are degraded by this process. They put weight on, do well for fiber to decrease the poopy thing and optimize the nutrient value. They work like magic for sickly pups, pups with death wishes (Deerhounds) and skinny dogs and those without good coats.

i apologize if you already tried this

Edited by EmbersDad

I'll try, but like 1/4 of the recipe since I am pretty sure when I make it, I'll be throwing it out. I am not being negative, just realistic. It's worth trying though.

DH is out running an errand, I'll have him pick up ingredients.

Thanks.