Rapid Shallow Breathing & Other Symptoms

I've been up most f the night with Bell. Her breathing is rapid and shallow, occasionally raspy. She's not eating (not even treats), her gums are paler than I would like, and her heart seems to be beating fast, even for a grey. She's also lethargic. I called the e-vet and they recommended taking her in to our regular vet today (thank goodness they have Sunday office hours) so I am waiting for them to open at 8:00. I am so worried about my old gal. There's no way she got into anything bad as I was home with her all day yesterday due to the weather, and she did eat breakfast yesterday (but no dinner last night). She's 14. Anyone have any idea what could be going on? She has no history of CHF or anything pulmonary.

Thank you from a scared mommy.

Melissa, Penelope (LC's Wild Rose)

Missing sweet Bell (EMK Bolivar Bell). I'll never forget you.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

{image removed, taller than 150px}

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No idea, but I'm surprised they'd recommend waiting. At her age, being shocky for no apparent reason is cause enough for a trip to the e-vet.

Have you taken her temperature and/or does she feel cold? If so, do your best to warm her up. Put a blanket over her, get some old socks, fill them with rice, knot off the end and toss them in the microwave for a couple of minutes until they're toasty. Place those against her chest (between her front legs) and against her groin (between her back legs). Offer her warm (not hot) broth or liquid if she'll drink.

Lynn

Sending prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sending many good thoughts.....

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

I hope things go well at the vet today. It's obvious something is out of sorts and pale gums can signify many things. Good thoughts coming yours and Bell's way.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

The vet just called, and we have an appointment in 90 minutes (vet's is half an hour away). I made Bell some bacon and eggs for breakfast and she ate most of the bacon but not the eggs. She wouldn't touch her regular food. She did walk out into the yard and took a nice pee.

Something is very wrong, I can feel it.

Thanks for all the prayers and good thoughts. My DH is out of town working on the election and I am 8-months-pregnant worth of emotional and so worried. We still don't know many people here in San Fran and I am so grateful to have GT for support.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

Sending prayers for your sweet baby girl. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Oh dear. :( Holding Bell in my prayers, surrounded by light. :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest Winterwish

It could be that she just needs antibiotics,maybe she has a bit of a bug. That's very good she ate the bacon and I bet she loved that. She may have a temperature and will be much better later on after she's seen. Sending get well wishes out to Bell!

Melissa, my heart sank when I saw this. I know when they get to be 14, you do fear the worst. And being 8 months pregnant....well, you get a pass for being emotional! I wish I had some advice for you, but I'm not familiar with those symptoms. So, like everyone else here who loves and admires Bell, I'll send lots of prayers and good thoughts. And telepathic "feel good" vibes, and gentle nose kisses from her buddies in the Burg.

Please let us know how she's doing. And how YOU'RE doing.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Oh Melissa, my heart stopped when I saw Bell's name. So many prayers are headed your way for sweet Bell. She holds a special place in our hearts.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Checking in for good news..... :hope

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

We're back from the vet. We had chest and stomach xrays, a blood workup, urinalysis, and she got sub-Q fluids and some anti-nausea medicine. From what they can see on the films, it looks like pneumonia, but not like "normal" pneumonia, it's more "diffuse." There are no nodules on any organs that would indicate Big C, and she's not running a temperature. There's a possibility she aspirated some particulate matter or some vomit (one of the dogs puked on Friday but I don't know which one) and that's where the pneumonia came from. The radiologist is going to review her films tomorrow and give more specifics. The docs and I debated leaving her in the hospital for oxygen and fluids, but she gets so stressed and anxious there, and she's so old and fragile, we decided to let her come home to rest. She's on Baytril right now and more antibiotics might be added later depending on the radiologist and the bloodwork. She is lying on a big pile of dog beds and seems a little more comfortable than before we went to the vet, so I am just going to stay with her today and tonight and check back in with the vets before they close this evening and again tomorrow morning. Her regular doc said given her age, this is possibly something she might not survive. I don't want to believe that and am hoping and wishing with all my heart for another "Bella Rebound." She's famous for them, and she's a tough old Steel Magnolia.

Thank you all so much.

- Mark Twain