I Feel I Am Losing Ember

Guest EmbersDad

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest greytbookert

I have no experience with osteo or amputations, but wanted to add my encouragement to you and Ember. Just like others have mentioned, enticing Ember to eat, doesn't really matter what it is, is the important thing. I hope some of the suggestions work for you.

Some items that have helped our pack in the past have been Ensure, Yogurt Smoothies, parmesan cheese, canned mackeral or sardines, tuna, green tripe, warmed up chicken livers, and other stinky foods.

Most importantly, be kind to yourself! You obviously love Ember very much! :grouphug

:grouphug

Edited by greytbookert

Guest EmbersDad
I am so sorry Ember is feeling unwell.

Feed them whatever they will eat.

I do believe that this is good advice. Rotisserie chicken has never failed for us. Good luck.

now theres an idea...the acme always has them back by the deli...cooked up and ready to go....i could feed us both

:bighug to you, wish I had words of wisdom :bighug

none needed, but i will accept the cyber hug, i really need it

Tom, perhaps Ember is still adjusting to some of the changes. Also, I wonder if the Tramadol or pain medication is affecting her stomach. When we had Hobbes on Tramadol we had to discontinue it as we saw a huge drop in his appetite, even though he had been taking Pepcid for his stomach daily. Within a day or two his appetite returned.

Add my hugs to all the others - you've been doing terrific - please don't second guess yourself because you have made all your decisions with Ember's best interest in your heart. :grouphug :grouphug

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest EmbersDad
Tom, perhaps Ember is still adjusting to some of the changes. Also, I wonder if the Tramadol or pain medication is affecting her stomach. When we had Hobbes on Tramadol we had to discontinue it as we saw a huge drop in his appetite, even though he had been taking Pepcid for his stomach daily. Within a day or two his appetite returned.

Add my hugs to all the others - you've been doing terrific - please don't second guess yourself because you have made all your decisions with Ember's best interest in your heart. :grouphug :grouphug

thats what i have been wondering too. my vet said it may make her pant, but im certain she has been exhibiting classic pain signs by just standing still and panting. there is another thread and the consensus was almost unanimous that she was in pain after the fentanyl patch removal. i will ask her surgeon about it tomorrow.

Guest sidewaysfallin

A good canned food I have found is Brandon Farms. I buy the organic kind and it is 100% organic meat. They have turkey, chicken and beef etc. It even has a grey on the can! I believe Fry's/Kroger carries them here, not sure what other stores do. Its great when Sophie won't eat.

http://www.brandonfarmspetfoods.com/

you can put in your zip and see if a store carries it near you

Has she gotten an increased amount of any meds lately? IIRC, she's getting more tramadol. Wiki says that it is an opiod. Would that cause the symptoms/behaviors she's exhibiting?

DD

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

I am sorry I have no advice, But I wanted to send pryers and hugs..... :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:hope:hope:hope:hope:candle

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest greytfulhounds

I am really sorry you & Ember are having a tough time. Wish I had some answers for you but you have been given a lot of good advice. Don't beat yourself up & don't give up.......Ember needs you to be the strong one while she recovers. Sending hugs & prayers to you both. :grouphug:hope:hope:hope

:hope you're both in thoughts and in our prayers

Don't be so hard on yourself, the decision you made was from the heart.

Try to have a little more patience and stay positive, and Ember will sense this and in her own time reward you for your gift of life to her. She'll be fine....and so will you.

Edited as double posted

Edited by crazygang

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Guest longdogs

To be absolutely blunt about this, you are NOT going to lose Ember through your decision to amputate. If she is continuing to decline it is more than likely the cancer is affecting her somewhere else. Unfortunately that's what happens in most cases sooner or later. By amputating, you are giving her the best chance you can and have reduced her suffering. It is still early days and she has a chance to improve. If she doesn't, well you have given it your best shot and there is nothing more to say.

Don't beat yourself up about it. There is no perfect answer. Enjoy her while you've got her and let's hope that will be for a long time to come. Otherwise there will come an end-point, regardless of whatever decision you made. Good luck.

Ember will bounce back very soon!! If she is drinking, that is a very good sign. I went through this several years ago and never thought we would make it past those first few weeks. Odysseus was never on any pain meds once he left the hospital but it certainly took him awhile to get used to his new body. He was weak from all the muscle the cancer had eaten before the amp (and before a dx) and he also seemed to mourn the loss of his leg although he sure seemed glad the OS pain was gone. Once he healed and started chemo, his strength and weight came back with a passion. I had a new dog! Those first few weeks are so rough but hang in there - your girl will come back to you soon. She has just been through a lot and the meds are probably not helping her appetite.