No Water Before Surgery?

Guest SusanP

I've had a lot of dogs put under for surgery/dentals, etc...but I don't remember ever being told they couldn't have water after midnite the day of the surgery. Am I having a senior moment, or is this unusual? Zippy gets her round cell lump off on Tues morning (tomorrow) and I'm going to try to reach the vet with questions today. Maybe they got it wrong???

Edited by SusanP

I know it's usual for people, and I've always followed the same principle with my dogs/cats. They don't want the person/animal to aspirate any stomach contents into their lungs when they're under anesthesia. Some vets may be a bit more lenient on this issue and allow some water.

Maryann, Bama (TW Beltram), Stephanie (Tom's Stepinhi) & Henderson the Cardigan Welsh Corgi

We're usually told no food or water after midnight the night before surgery.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

they can usually have water, just limited. I try to avoid it after 6AM.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

My vet used to say no water after 10pm, but now its limited. However...when they did the tumor surgery on Dear, they let him have ice chips before surgery.

It totally depends on the vet, and I've used a bunch for spay/neuter.

The most common instructions are no food after eight and no water after midnight, but a very few vets move that to no food after 10 and several say it is OK to leave water down. I don't usually pick up water anymore until the next morning...none of mine have gotten up in the night and had a bowl full of water. If I had a dog with thirst issues due to meds I'd pick the water up at midnight. :dunno

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

We're always told no food after 8pm but we can leave water down.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Well, now I see why I'm confused! :lol There are a number of vets in this practice, and perhaps they recently decided everyone would follow the stricter protocol. As it turns out, when we changed the appt to tomorrow, they forgot to write it down in the schedule, so I may have to wait til thurs, the original date, but that's a whole 'nother issue...

Edited by SusanP

Really depends on the vet. When Dr. Mulch used to do our spays and neuters for the kennel, the rule was no food or water after 11pm. Now that we're going to Walcott, the rule is no food after 9pm, but water is just fine.

The "rules" vets make about pre-surgery are also tailored depending on what kind of anesthetic they use. Walcott uses a milder protocol and with whatever they're using, it's good for the pup to be hydrated. At Mulch's they use something different, and having anything in the tummy at time of surgery isn't a good idea.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest KennelMom

Our regular vet says no food or water, the specialty hospital we also use says no food, water is OK. I'm gonna go with: depends on the vet. We just do what they tell us before each specific procedure.

I know it's usual for people, and I've always followed the same principle with my dogs/cats. They don't want the person/animal to aspirate any stomach contents into their lungs when they're under anesthesia. Some vets may be a bit more lenient on this issue and allow some water.

I agree with Maryann. When placing human or animal under anesthesia there are several safety precautions that are followed. The NPO status (without food) should be followed for several reasons. With induction of anesthesia and intubation (breathing tube placement) there is always the possibility of vomiting in both humans and animals. The gag reflex kicks in when putting the tube through the vocal cords and into the trachea.This tube protects the airway during surgery. Its just like sticking your finger down your own throat. Try it and see what happens. This is the time when the possibility of aspiration of stomach contents into the lungs is most likely to happen. Once the tube is in place they inflate a cuff that helps hold the tube in place and protects the lungs from any vomit going into the lungs. People who are injured and cannot protect their own airway are intubated in either the field by Fire Rescue or by MD's in the Emergency Room. These people frequently show an aspiration pneumonia about 72 hours later due to the frequency of vomiting and aspiration during the placement of the breathing tube.

Anesthesia affects people/animals in many different ways. Nausea and vomiting are common after effects of anesthesia. Keeping an empty stomach before and during surgery helps prevent the aspiration of stomach contents and minimizing the risk. Anesthesiologists frequently give an anti emetic (anti vomiting) when reversing the anesthesia (waking up the patient) and removing the breathing tube when the surgery is over. Many people and animals continue to have nausea and vomiting for several hours after surgery so don't be in a big hurry to give your hound water once they are awake. Wanting water after surgery is common because frequently medications are given to help keep secretions to a minimum. This will make both humans and animals mouths feel VERY dry. It will wear off after several hours.

Safety is always the watchword with my hounds. Keeping them from eating or drinking prior to any kind of surgical procedure is important to me. In the case of life or death emergency and the need to do something medically necessary to save my hounds life is the only time I will risk the food vs no food issue.

Hope this explains the withholding of food/water prior to surgery. I love my hounds and want to keep them medically safe.

L.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

my vet says no food after 9 PM the night before, but water is OK. I assume this is because they require all dogs that are due for surgery to be in the clinic by 8 AM but they don't start surgeries until 11 AM. I suppose they aren't given water after they check in.