You Take The Bad With The Good...

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry to read this. There is never a good time for it to happen of course, but the timing for you is extra terrible :(

I'd certainly ask about the pain medication. Wallace (with an unrelated illness) takes 300mg of tramadol per day (2 x 50mg tabs, three times a day), and we've just added in 75mg of Rimadyl (it would normally be 100mg but Wallace is at a low weight).

Hoping for a shadowy bone or an infection for Argos :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest greyt2love

Oh, Christie, I am so sorry. Sweet Argos,my very first ever Secret Bunny ! I've had a soft spot for him ever since . :wub: Just being a new mother is such a roller coaster of emotions, and then to add this on top of it. All I can say is I hope it is an infection or shadowy bone, and keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

I'm so sorry to hear about Argos. You have a lot of room to increase pain meds. Alex was a 85 lbs. boy. At one point he was on:

- 75 mg Rimadyl x 2 day

- 50 mg Tramadol. Can increase up to 100 mg. 4 x day.

First increase the number of doses per day.

- 100 mg Neurotin x 1 day

I recommend talking to your Vet and find out the maximum dosing and how he/she would like you to increase his current doses. Then get the prescriptions filled ahead of time; at least have a few of the pills at home. These things always seem to happen at night or on the week-ends.

Thanks for the kind words and hugs everyone. It means so much to know how many people out there understand how much we love our dog.

We're taking this one step at a time - just get him through the weekend while we await confirmation. I will call the vet's office today and ask about upping the tramadol if needed. He doesn't seem to be feeling any relief yet, but it's just been 12 hours or so since I started him on the meds.

What a week.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest gottaluvgreysindy

I'm so sorry. I wish I didn't know where you are coming from, but sadly I do. I would talk with your vet ASAP about increasing meds, he should have some relief after 12 hours. I will keep you close in my prayers.