Sierra Needs Some Prayers - Vet Is Concerned On Weight Loss

Sierra has had explosive diarrhea since Sunday. What is more alarming is that she has been passing a brown liquid stool with blood. Tonight when I came home it was almost black. She had an appointment to see the vet tonight for blood work. My girl isn't handling the itraconazole well (vomiting, no appetite, diarrhea, weight loss, limb swelling). She has been having accidents in the house at night and when I am work.

She has lost 4 lbs since her last visit due to the diarrhea in the past few days. The vet said that we need to wait and see what her blood levels and liver panels reveal. Since she is having GI issues with this, we aren't sure if the histo is getting the better of her. They injected her with some fluids and I am giving her some pediasure to help keep her from getting dehydrated. She had some fat meatballs tonight (they were very small). I loaded them with NY, ground up kibble, peanut butter, probiotic, prozyme, and some eggs and cottage cheese. I hope it says down and doesn't squirt out the back end. The next few days are a wait and see, which is pure torture to me and her.

Please keep her in your puppy prayers.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no... :( Sending loads of prayers and healing energy to Sierra. :hope:getwell

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

:(

Sending lots of prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sending my prayers and white light for sweet Sierra. Know that Angel Cody Angelo watches over. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Sierra's test came back but were still waiting on the antigen test. Her organs are functioning okay. She was a bit dehydrated from the horrible diarrhea and they gave her a fluid injection. She has really improved on her appetite!! NY really has helped her to eat again. I began feeding meals by liquefying them and using a large feeding syringe. She didn't mind me giving her meals this way. This has turned her around for the better. She shocked me last night by eating a meatball right from my hand and she ate her whole meal last night and continues to eat when I feed her. She is also coming to me for food. She has perked up and more like herself but pretty skinny. I took her to the vet today for fluid injection and she was riding in the car in her usual fashion with her face out the window. She was pretty weak from not eating.

She will be having two treatments this upcoming week that they will keep her in the hospital for. The vets want to use a medication that requires an IV to help her chances of recovery from this nasty infection. I am nervous but keeping a very positive attitude.

I am not sure what days they will be doing the treatments but please send some light and prayers her way. I am so appreciative for the support from everyone. It makes a big difference.

Edited by stlgrey

Kiss Sierra for me and tell her Aunt Patti is praying and chanting. That's a good girl with the eating honey~Angel Cody did not want to eat either. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

Guest SillyIzzysMom

Stupid Stupid Histoplasmosis!!

I'm and sending good thoughts your way. . .You guys hang in there and keep fighting his killer disease. I'm hoping big time that your girl could do what mine couldn't. . .

m

So good to see that Sierra's appetite is improving. Sending good thoughts that she will continue to regain her health.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Just checking to see how Sierra is doing

Me too. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

She continues to have a good appetite. She hasn't had as much diarrhea the past few days either. I only had to let her out once last night (its been up to 5 times per night). Her medication for the treatment should arrive to the vet on Tuesday. They would like to do the first treatment tomorrow. I am waiting on a tracking number from the pharmacy on confirmation if it will indeed arrive tomorrow. I have positive thoughts that the vets need to do this treatment in order to help the intraconazole do its job. She seems to be okay and hasn't turned down any treats either.