Jed's Limp

JedsMom

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update 10-8-08:

Jed's surgery is today, so if you have any good thoughts to spare, please send them our way! I take him to meet with the surgeon at 10:30 and the surgery will take place later this afternoon.

I'm looking forward to sitting down with the Dr. to meet him and to find out exactly what his plan is.

I'm also worried about Ripple. She'll be spending today at home alone, which is not something that she's ever done before. Hopefully she'll do all right with that. I'll post an update about Jed this evening after his surgery is finished.

Daisy & Eli, the crazy hounds, and Bella & Zoe, the curly kitties,
and Jed (10.30.98 - 11.28.08) & Ripple (3.25.99 - 8.20.09) together again at the bridge
with Cleo-Kitty (10.8.1988 - 7.26.2007) always in my heart.

Diana, I've been so wrapped up in Brooke this past week that I just now saw what was going on with Jed. Lots of prayers and good thoughts for Jed today!! Hang in there!

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

Sending lots and lots of good thoughts for Jed's surgery today!! :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck:bighug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Sweet Jed...know that prayers and white light are coming your way from around the world. Be brave and strong~and let's FIGHT this right now and get rid of it! :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Sending lots of good thoughts to you all :hope .

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Well, Jed and I are back from the surgeon's office. After he evaluated the joint, he no longer felt that he could go in there and remove the growth and save the elbow joint. He said that if he took out the tumor/cyst, that there wouldn't be enough bone for his tendons to stay attached to without breaking the leg. He said that our only surgical option is amputation.

He took another x-ray of the elbow, and the tumor/cyst has definitely grown in the past week and a half. Even I could see that and I don't know much about reading x-rays. He took a chest x-ray and that is clean. For now. He said that he could go in and do a biopsy so we could see if it is malignant or not. He pretty much stopped using the word 'cyst' from the time he took the x-ray. He sent me home and told me that we needed to think about amputation and make a decision about what we wanted to do.

I called our regular vet, who knows how Jed is, and we talked about everything. I asked him what he thought about how Jed would deal with an amputation, considering his stress-levels when he goes to the vet. He turned it around on me and asked me what I thought about having a 3-legged greyhound. I told him that, if this were Ripple, I thought she would be able to adapt without a problem (he laughed and said that you could amputate Ripple's head and she'd adapt), but that Jed's such a fruitloop, I don't know how he'd do. He has such horrible reaction at the vet's office... Dr. Fisher also reminded me to keep Jed's ehrlichia in mind... Considering everything Jed has going on, I just don't think that Jed is a good candidate for amputation, whether this is a cyst or if it's osteo. After talking with DH, he agrees with me.

Jed has been doing better since we started using rimadyl. We've actually been able to reduce his tramadol since we added the rimadyl, so I think we're doing a decent job at managing his pain. From here, I guess it's just a matter of keeping his pain reduced and keeping him comfortable and happy and enjoying every moment of the time we have left with him.

Daisy & Eli, the crazy hounds, and Bella & Zoe, the curly kitties,
and Jed (10.30.98 - 11.28.08) & Ripple (3.25.99 - 8.20.09) together again at the bridge
with Cleo-Kitty (10.8.1988 - 7.26.2007) always in my heart.

My heart and prayers are with you. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I'm sorry to read of this turn of events :(

Sending good thoughts from here :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!