Piper Made A Bad Snacking Decision

LBass

Last Thursday evening Piper ate a kitchen sponge. <_< I spoke with the vet about the situation on Friday morning. She said to watch him for vomiting and bring him in if that occurred. She also said to watch for the sponge making it's way out in poo.

Piper has seemed absolutely fine since then. No vomiting. Healthy appetite. Playful. Normal firmish poo. The thing that is worrying me is that, so far, there have been no bits of blue sponge in his poo. I've been on numerous blue poo scouting trips and finally mowed the grass, which gave me a very thorough tour of the yard--no signs of any part of the sponge.

I called the vet this morning and she is of the opinion that, as long as Piper is feeling well, eating, pooping normally, and not vomiting, he will be OK.

Does this sound like a reasonable approach?

--Lucy and Piper (with well scrubbed innards)

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

I suppose the only other thing would be to x-ray him to see if the sponge is still there somewhere :unsure

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Keep an eye on him...Dallas had to have emergency surgery last year to remove what we beleive was part of a sponge from her intestines. It had enlarged(the sponge) and had allowed some things to go through but block a lot and was causing distress. Watch for stretching, vomiting and general lethargy. It took her almsot 2 days for the symptoms to occur and we had no clue she had eaten anything at the time.

I'd say you have good advice from your vet.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Chances are, if the sponge hasn't digested and passed, it could be in Piper's stomach still, just waiting for the right time to regurgitate on carpet.

I always like the wait and see approach :) Mine have eaten some pretty wonky things over the past five years, and as long as they stayed happy and normal, we just waited.

Edited by Jiffer

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

"This too shall pass"!

I'd go with your vet on this one.

George stuck his head in the trash last night and pulled out, and swallowed, the little foil "Laughing Cow" cheese wedge wrapper. He gets one every night. Has for over a year. Why did he decide to eat the wrapper last night? No clue. I am looking forward to his foil-y poo!

Good luck on the sponge hunt!!!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Greensleeves

Did you actually see him eat the sponge? Is it possible he didn't consume any of it? I mention this b/c a few years ago, Baloo stole my wrist pin cushion, and very carefully pulled all the pins out of it, and chewed up the sawdust cushion part. I was sure he'd eaten the plastic handle/wrist strap, because it wasn't with the pins and the chewed-up cushion, so I watched him for days (also b/c I was concerned he may have eaten a pin, of course!!), but never saw any evidence. Then I found the strap, completely intact, tucked behind a lamp table. He'd barely even gnawed at it. Is it possible that he didn't actually *eat* very much of the sponge, if any?

Guest Stretchy

Poor Piper! I think the best you can do is just monitor him and his poop closely.

Stretchy once ate a whole corn cob and even that "passed thru" in its entirety.

Greensleves, that possibility had occurred to me. Particularly since the instigator was the adolescent troublemaker cat, Miles. He apparently just discovered that he can grab sponges from the counter and carry them around. I've looked carefully for the sponge and have not found it. I'd love to think I've just missed the spot where Miles has stashed it.

Piper has a history of eating inappropriate things, so I remain worried that the sponge followed all the other oddities that have passed through his system. I found a small corner of sponge in the house that looked as if he'd torn it into pieces which he'd have swallowed.

I will continue to keep a close eye on Piper for any signs of distress or changes in any of the important indicators--as the vet and several of you suggested. I suppose I posted as much for confirmation that this saga actually might have a good ending.

Thanks for the info and reassurance.

--Lucy and Sponge Bob

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Poor Piper! I think the best you can do is just monitor him and his poop closely.

OMG! When I read this, all I could think was OUCH!!! :eek

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

These things are difficult. You might or might not see it on an x-ray. If you see it, the course of action is likely to be the same as without x-ray: Wait and see. Nobody wants to do surgery unless necessary.

Joseph passed most of the toy he ate. The pieces that caused trouble and required surgery ... did so 8 months after he ate the stinkin' thing.

Hugs and best luck.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest p51crazyhorse

Twyla has eaten two of Emmas socks (she is three) at least that we know of, she vomits them back up in a gooey wad..... I started really watching where Emma leaves her clothes now and Twyla has taken to eating her bedding and the stuffing from her toys.... I have to crate her with nothing in the bottom tray if i am not here watching her!!! she has destroyed two blankets so far. :riphair:censored

OMG! When I read this, all I could think was OUCH!!! :eek

Me too....I've heard of colonic irrigation, that is more like colonic exfoliation :blink::unsure

Here's hoping Piper didn't eat the sponge, but that if he did it passes uneventfully. Ben's boy Niles ate a small plastic tube of eye ointment (or at least we think he did) but we never did see it come out the other end and that was a couple of months ago :rolleyes:

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT