Vet Just Told Me That If Coby Has A Fracture In Leg

Guest bonscoby

Guest doodlebug

Best to you and Coby, just went through the loss of our first osteo with our 9th grey last week. It is the worst, you will know what to do with Coby the shock is the worst you just don't know how much time you have. We could not take him on walks which he loved. I think everyone has said it best treat Coby like glass, but love him more than you ever possibly can and you will know what to do. We had tramadol and rimadyl and it seemed like near the end he was in pain. Fortunately we did not have to deal with a broken leg, he started to barely put pressure on his leg and as soon as he wouldn't put it down we knew. We had less than a month. It is odd how some of the ways we have found out that our greys have gotten osteo, turning corners, playing etc.. Thoughts and prayers are with you Sorry I can't make it go away

I am really sorry I don't have experience with this but I wanted you to know we are thinking about you and Coby and sending lots of prayers. :bighug:bighug:bighug:hope:hope

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Oh, no! We've had no power since Sunday, so I'm just seeing this, and went back and looked at your first thread. Bonnie, I'm so, so sorry you've gotten this devastating news about your precious Coby. How high in the shoulder is the tumor? Is it too high for amputation? I think someone had suggested contacting Dr. Couto at OSU---it never hurts to know all your options. I would say that if amputation is not indicated, and you are trying to keep him comfortable, it wouldn't hurt to start him on artemisinin too---it could slow things down. You could ask Dr. Couto about it.

Whatever you do or decide, please know that we share your sadness, and you and Coby are in our prayers.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Bonnie, I am so sorry for you and for Coby. I know how hard it is to watch every movement and be constantly aware of everything your precious pet is doing. It is incredibly hard knowing that you are going to have to euthanize him at some point. The responsibility is overwhelming when you want to give him as long as he can possibly have on this earth, but you also want to protect him from extreme pain at the end of his life.

There aren't any good answers. They all suck. You want it to all go away. So, my prayers are with you and Coby. It's a hard road. Many of us have gone down it. Your own road will be different from each of ours, but we understand and send love to you.

Bonnie, no advice. Just wanted you to know we're thinking of you and Coby.

Edited by MarcR

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Guest jettcricket

With Cricket's treatments, her Oncologist has been giving her "Pamidronate". They orignally were using it to manage pain, but then they found out that it was much more effective in keeping the bones strong. Kind of like what women take for weak and brittle bones. Ask your Doctor about it....or consult an Oncologist.

Cricket has had several treatments....there are no side effects. They just put a catheter in her arm and it takes about an hour.

I lost my Kimmie last year to osteo under circumstances such as those that you describe. She had been diagnosed with OS 27 days earlier and we were taking her to the vet for a scheduled routine X-ray to evaluate the aggressiveness of the osteo. Unfortunately, her leg broke (in two places) in the car as we made the first turn off our street headed to the vet. It was the absolute most horrible 5 minute drive we have ever taken. My girl was extremely stoic for the 8 years that I had her. She had never cried, never flinched, through medical tests, blood draws, injuries requiring stitches and drains. But she screamed the GSOD the entire ride to the vet's office with the broken leg. We put her down on the x-ray table so we wouldn't have to move her again and cause any more pain.

It is something that will haunt me forever. If I had it to do over again, I would have let her go much sooner and not had her suffer those last few minutes. If I ever get another OS diagnosis, we will do weekly x-rays and I will do everything in my power to prevent a break.

Cathy, Van & Monita (and angels Kimmie and Dagger)

Oh Bonnie. :grouphug

I am so sorry. Only you and Coby can decide what is best. You have to weigh a day too early against a day too late. :sad1

I have never had a dog with osteo but friends have experienced having a leg snap in something as mundane as a potty break. I feel for you 1,000% :grouphug

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

With Vinnie, we had his bad leg splinted for a couple of weeks before the amputation, just to give him some stability. Then after the amputation he was greyt as a tripod until right before his 3rd chemo - I started worrying about his remaining front leg, especially after being told about the spread into his lungs, it was then we decided it was time as we did not want him to suffer or for his leg to snap. Unfortunately we cannot put them into a plastic bubble to protect them and this disease is so unpredictable about how and where it will attack that it is not something that you can plan around.

Have you been able to contact Dr. Cuoto yet? He may have other options to suggest for sweet Coby Bear that could help. We know how hard this is for you and with the added craziness of your wedding right around the corner it is made even more difficult. We are keeping you all in our thoughts and wish we could take this horrible disease away. Sending gentle hugs and scritches.

:( Reading this is bringing back the sheer terror I felt when we received a similar diagnosis for Teddy. We opted to euthanise earlier rather than later, as I was terrified of him fracturing his leg and being in unbearable pain, but it was the hardest decision I have ever had to make.

:grouphug

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

:grouphug:grouphug Just seeing this and sending out sympathy to you, it is certainly horrible news and then making the decision on what to do. Of course I just went through this with Asia and opted with amp and chemo.
"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

My beloved heart dog Bahama Joe broke his leg on the x-ray table being x-rayed for

osteosarcoma, it was the worst day of my life when my vet came in to the room crying

telling me Joe's leg was broken. I brought him home casted for the weekend so we could

say our goodbyes and on Monday I had to do the terrible deed. It haunts me to this day.

My prayers are with you, it is so difficult to decide what to do