Can It Wait Till Saturday?

Guest lanielovesgreys

Guest lanielovesgreys

We took Schumi to the e-vet a couple of weeks ago for what looked like a UTI. He had blood in his urine and he was only peeing drops at a time. It was a bacterial infection, we took home the meds and have been treating him with clavamox since. We mis-read the Rx and gave him half the dosage for the first (sigh) 2 weeks. The last week was full strength. Yesterday we have him his last pills. Today he had 3 accidents in the house while I was at work. This boy does NOT have accidents normally.

So, we originally had an appointment for Saturday morning. While I was cooking, Schumi had another accident by the door and it's red. :( I've been watching for red and I haven't seen it in about a week. He might have stones, he might have a blockage, he might just have a persistant infection. Money is an issue and so is time off work.

I've always gauged my pup's problems as emergency and paid for it, and several times they weren't actually emergencies.

Emergency?

Guest BlackandBrindle

I know when I started peeing red, I went straight to the doctor even though I had no other symptoms.

I wouldn't say it's an evet emergency, but I'd call and ask to get in tomorrow. Could you drop him off and pick him up after work?

Guest houndlover
I wouldn't say it's an evet emergency, but I'd call and ask to get in tomorrow. Could you drop him off and pick him up after work?

I agree with blackandbrindle. I hope he is feeling better soon.

I'm scared for my boy. :(

I know what you mean. It is so nerve wracking when they don't feel well. Big hugs to you and Schumi. :grouphug

Guest Winterwish

I hope Schumi will be okay and that's good you're taking him to be seen,I know it's hard money-wise. Maybe your vet won't charge you tho',and may see it more as a follow up,or a continuation of the same treatment? You never know,hopefully that'll be how it goes.

Is he drinking adequately enough? maybe you can bring the water dish over to him and tell him to drink more water? that would be good if he can. Feel better Schumi! and mom too! :getwell:dogcookie

Guest BlackandBrindle

It is scary when these things happen but honestly, blood in the urine could be any number of treatable things. :grouphug :grouphug

Let us know how the vet visit goes.

I'd call first thing in the AM and see if they'd take a urine sample and test it. Given the woops w the medication, it just may mean that you have to extend the medication out longer for it to work.

See what the vet's office says.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

I hope everything goes well today at the vet. Good luck, my thoughts are with you.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

My thoughts are with you. My rule of thumb is if I have to ask whether or not I can wait, I can't.

Please update with you can. Blood in urine doesn't have to mean something horrible but it should be check out. I work for urology and this is something very common for humans.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest lanielovesgreys

Ok, just got back from the vet. They took xrays, no stones. Just a persistent bacterial infection. So, good. My boys are spending the day outside. It's clear skies, 80 degrees. They've got plenty of water and their beds out there. But, Schumi is just having accidents right and left. 6 since I last posted. So, I had to leave them out today. I feel badly, but something tells me they might enjoy it. And I won't have an obscene amount of bloody spots to clean when I get home.

In other news, they found pellets in his rear. Like, he'd been shot with a pellet gun. Which explains his fear of guns. Poor guy. Whoever is out there shooting dogs should be tied up and abused.

I personally would never lock a greyhound, let alone a sick one, outside all day, unattended, with no doggy door...especially after finding out he's been shot at some point. maybe he was shot in his own backyard?

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest BradyzMommy

Brady started peeing red on a Sunday, was in the hospital on Monday morning and died the following Wednesday. I would be inclined to treat this as an emergency, but thats just me.

Lanie, do you think this may be the reason that he was biting last week?

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest lanielovesgreys
I personally would never lock a greyhound, let alone a sick one, outside all day, unattended, with no doggy door...especially after finding out he's been shot at some point. maybe he was shot in his own backyard?

No, we got him 6 months ago and it's right under an existing scar. Our neighbors are wonderful. Plus, my husband should be home any minute, so it was really only for an hour or two. I know it sounds crazy, but I really don't have the time to clean all evening. Our home is a little crazy at the moment.

Plus, Schumi has been taking about half hour potty breaks lately. He just doesn't quit going. I actually think it might be more uncomfortable to be inside and having to hold it all the time when it feels so urgent constantly.

Lanie, do you think this may be the reason that he was biting last week?

Yes, I do. He tried to bite the vet today. Good thing I had the muzzle. Just didn't know I'd need it immediately. Poor guy is just in a lot of pain, I think.

Guest savvyprchick

And don't forget about the people who steal dogs to sell to labratories. And greyhounds are especially wanted because of their large lung capacity and blood supply... just like they are wanted for blood donors.

Not flaming or nagging, just wondering if you could get him something for the pain. Speaking from experience, UTI's are one of the most miserable things....Poor Guy. Hope he's feeling better soon.

Guest dwolfe711

Poor Schumi - I hope a new round of meds will make him feel better and get rid of that nasty infection quickly! Could you gate him in a room in the house that has easily cleaned floors? - a kitchen or bathroom? I can totally understand your not wanting to clean spots off carpet all evening.

When our Lizzy was 13.5 she started having sporadic accidents in the house due to age and not being able to wait - we were lucky in that she decided all on her own to use the bathroom to do her business! We kept an old towel or two along the edge of the floor in case it was enough to run off to the side (she would not go on rugs or towels if we actually laid them out on the floor!). Because she was so accommodating to go in the bathroom, we only had to wipe up the floor and then wet mop with disinfectant!! This was only a once or twice a week thing, but it was frustrating even under those circumstances. Since we adopt senior returns, we have come to expect occasional "accidents" in the house - unfortunately, Lizzy was the only one who was smart enough to know what the bathroom was for!! :rolleyes::wub:

Donna

Guest houndlover
In other news, they found pellets in his rear. Like, he'd been shot with a pellet gun. Which explains his fear of guns. Poor guy. Whoever is out there shooting dogs should be tied up and abused.

Ok...that just makes my blood boil when I read something like this. What is wrong with people???? :angryfire

On a lighter note, I am glad that you have a dx and he is being treated. I really hope he feels better soon and I know all about the cleaning up pee too. I came home to some today and I wasn't even gone that long! I think DD didn't let the boys out before she left. :angry:

I'm going with the premise that the first round of antibiotics didn't work because they were mistakenly given incorrectly. That would mean that this time they will work. Hopefully, Schumi will feel much better in the next 24-48 hours.

And, just to help you feel better, when Gabriel had cancer, I left him outside for an hour by himself. It was a gorgeous day, he was happier outside than in and he was safe. Sometimes you have to be away and you make a decision that is best for your dog's happiness and health. It isn't the optimal situation so you don't get the option of the optimal decision.