Getting A Dog That Is On Antibiotics And Receiving Chemo To Eat

I posted in off topic about my DH's co-worker that has the GH that was recently diagnosed with Osteo and is receiving chemo. She was supposed to get chemo today but her white cell count is way too low, but it is going up some. They have her on antibiotics to try and bring the white cell up and as a result she isn't eating much. The dog is in my DH's office today because they thought she would be getting her chemo and didn't want to leave her at the vet all day. My DH said that she has a bowl of cooked turkey, chicken and her favorite dog food, but the only thing she has eaten today are 2 Burpdog biscuits my DH took in to her. Any ideas of what else she can try to get her to eat?

Lynn mom to:Roper(Roper is Here),Josie the Australian Cattle Dog mix, Lacey the Corgi mix, Allie the cat and 2 skin kids and at the bridge Bailey (AA's Bailey), Snickers(Jax Snickers) , Sabrina the Collie and Sadie the Border Collie mix.

Hand fed or spoon fed foods eg, cut up hot dogs, yoghurt, cheese, scrambled egg with cheese, scrambled egg mixed with sardines (it stinks but thats what makes it work sometimes) or some of the tinned recovery food that you can get from the vets. It's very very soft and sloppy and like a pate and it worked with Darcy when she was not eating and it can be fed off a small spoon (or a finger).

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Have your DH ask if she is getting something to support her tummy -- could be that the antibiotics are making her feel queasy. I use pepcid (10mg famotidine 2 or 3 times a day; give pepcid, wait 30-40 minutes, give meal, then give antibiotic). There are other meds vet can use to help.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I know that some have tried this with no success, but when I tried the nutritional yeast, Misty not only gulped her food but she started to whine 15 min before feeding time. I sure hope they find something to help

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest VelvetEars

what are her favorite foods? braunschwager, scrambled eggs w/ cheese (esp if you sprinkle the top with some "shaker cheese" - parm in a can), diced ham.... hand-feeding little bits makes it seem more special, for some reason - like a treat rather than a meal.

canned cat food is also something mine cannot resist.

if she has a sweet tooth, see about some bits of muffin or banana bread with a little peanut butter, maybe? Jane could never resist carbs, and Porsche had a sweet tooth, so we used this a lot.

Canned green tripe, cottage cheese, sardines, canned cat food.

I second trying something to settle the tummy like pepcid, antibiotics can really do a number on it.

Definitely get the dog on some anti-nausea medications!!! It could be the abx or the chemo causing the anorexia.

Famotidine (pepcid) is a reasonable starter and OTC.

Carafate can help some dogs

Cerenia is a potent once daily anti-nausea drug

Metoclopramide or Prochlorperazine would be 2 other anti-nausea drugs

Ginger supplementation can help some dogs

Pepto-bismol

Talk to the vet about soem of these options.

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Definitely get the dog on some anti-nausea medications!!! It could be the abx or the chemo causing the anorexia.

Famotidine (pepcid) is a reasonable starter and OTC.

Carafate can help some dogs

Cerenia is a potent once daily anti-nausea drug

Metoclopramide or Prochlorperazine would be 2 other anti-nausea drugs

Ginger supplementation can help some dogs

Pepto-bismol

Talk to the vet about soem of these options.

:nod :nod :nod

Dylan ate Walmart chicken during his chemo and gained weight. Good Luck to your friend. :grouphug

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****